"Homosexuality linked to pedophilia" says Pope's no 2

H.R. Haldeman

"Many psychologists and psychiatrists have shown that there is no link between celibacy and pedophilia but many others have shown, I have recently been told, that there is a relationship between homosexuality and pedophilia," he told a news conference in Santiago.

Can't you just sense the nature of the conversation? Gossipy, hushed, hooded, wrong. A whispered secret. Old habit's old habits.

Riadach

eoghanacht

I suppose they are just working down the list of things to blame for the scandal

The Devil
Liberal media
Anti Catholics and now it's homosexuality fault?

"Many psychologists and psychiatrists have shown that there is no link between celibacy and pedophilia but many others have shown, I have recently been told, that there is a relationship between homosexuality and pedophilia,

I wonder who paid for that study?

Sync

We need one of those smileys where they're hitting their head off a wall. These people are idiots.

yehbut_nobut

An Evil, Evil man...

Almanac

By whose definition?
Massimo Introvigne

*The Charges Against the Church for Paedophilia. *

[....]According to research by Philip Jenkins, if you compare the
Catholic Church in the United States to the main Protestant denominations you discover
that the number of paedophiles among Protestant pastors ranges - according to
the different denominations - from two times to ten times the number among
Catholic priests. This goes to show that the problem is not celibacy,
since most Protestant pastors are married. During the same period of time in which a hundred or so American priests
were condemned for sexual abuse of minors, almost six thousand teachers of
physical education and coaches of juvenile sports teams were tried and
found guilty of the same crime in US courts [...] And although it is politically incorrect to mention it, there is an even
more revealing statistic: over 80% of the paedophiles are homosexuals. And - once
again citing Jenkins - over ninety per cent of the Catholic priests convicted of sexually
abusing minors are gay [--]

liamfoley

Pedophilia is not linked to celibacy, that is a fact. But what I want to know is did he say that pedophilia is linked to homosexuality or did he say that sexual abuse by priests is linked to homosexuality. It is a disturbing fact that such a high proportion of victims are teenage boys and this might be a valid point to discuss but let us at least get what he said right before we try and execute the man.

TommyO'Brien

90% of the priests convicted were homosexual.
That is BS. How did they know? Do a blood test of something.

Most clerical abusers abuse BOTH males and females. Abusers who abused simply males when they had access to male-only schools when moved to female schools then abused only females.

To say paedophiles are predominantly of one orientation or another is laughed at by people who have actually done studies of the issue. It is nothing to do with orientation or gender. It is almost always non-gender specific - the abuser abuses whoever he can get his hands. Most abused boys simply because at the time they had more access to boys than girls as only boys at the time were altar-boys. In parts of the world where female altar-servers existed, both sexes were abused. Clergy who had only access to girls only abused girls. The whole point about paedophilia is that it is not orientation based but access-based. (That is why Fr Brendan Smyth veered from abusing just boys, to just girls, to both, depending on where he was based at the time.)

But of course an elderly man who lives in a world surrounded by elderly men, where the only women he comes in contact with in the Vatican are the cleaners and the nuns who cook, and who wears a dress for a living, wouldn't know the facts. People like him aren't interested in facts. They just look up usually highly dubious studies to support their own wacky theories. His predecessors used to quote studies that said that women should not work. One clerical nut in Rome in the 1860s claimed that if women worked their brains would overheat and they would naturally combust. :eek: (His name BTW was Fr Raimond Clemenceau.) That is the sort of idiocy the Catholic Church comes out with. This is just more of it.

Almanac

I can't see the relevance though. The scandal is about the cover-up.

eoghanacht

90% of the priests convicted were homosexual.
No, they abused kids. I'll think you'll find that makes them paedophiles.

If you have sex with your dog and your dog happens to be male you'd probably be worried that you were gay, whereas most normal people would point to the beastiality as the deviant worrying bahaviour.

To clarify

Homosexuals in 99% of the time engage in consentual sex.
Paedo's rape kids

See?

yehbut_nobut

friend sent me this link earlier - I wasn't too pushed before, but that guys comments have help me make up my mind. A very useful online resource.

The Count Me Out website is a source of information for those considering leaving the Roman Catholic Church (RCC). For many who no longer practise, remaining "lapsed" is not sufficient; a clean break is needed.

In 3 simple steps this site produces all the documentation you need to leave the RCC. Why might someone wish to take this action? Read some of our reasons or consult the Frequently Asked Questions for general information & answers to the most common queries we hear.
Count Me Out - Take a stand for church/state separation

Riadach

Massimo Introvigne

*The Charges Against the Church for Paedophilia. *

[....]According to research by Philip Jenkins, if you compare the
Catholic Church in the United States to the main Protestant denominations you discover
that the number of paedophiles among Protestant pastors ranges - according to
the different denominations - from two times to ten times the number among
Catholic priests. This goes to show that the problem is not celibacy,
since most Protestant pastors are married. During the same period of time in which a hundred or so American priests
were condemned for sexual abuse of minors, almost six thousand teachers of
physical education and coaches of juvenile sports teams were tried and
found guilty of the same crime in US courts [...] And although it is politically incorrect to mention it, there is an even
more revealing statistic: over 80% of the paedophiles are homosexuals. And - once
again citing Jenkins - over ninety per cent of the Catholic priests convicted of sexually
abusing minors are gay [--]
Once again. Who is defining them as paedophiles and on what basis? Are the homosexual by virtue of the fact that they are abusing post-pubescent boys? Or are they homosexual by self-definition? Neither are satisfactory bases for determining whether someone is homosexual or not.

Case in point, are men who have sex with men in prison, necessarily homosexual?

G

Gadjodilo

Paedophiles are capable of abusing children of both genders. The gender doesn't matter - it's the sense of utter control that appeals to them. If a paedophile has mainly abused boys, it will probably be because he mainly had access to boys and little access to girls.

Almanac

That is BS. How did they know? Do a blood test of something.

Most clerical abusers abuse BOTH males and females. Abusers who abused simply males when they had access to male-only schools when moved to female schools then abused only females.

To say paedophiles are predominantly of one orientation or another is laughed at by people who have actually done studies of the issue. It is nothing to do with orientation or gender. It is almost always non-gender specific - the abuser abuses whoever he can get his hands. Most abused boys simply because at the time they had more access to boys than girls as only boys at the time were altar-boys. In parts of the world where female altar-servers existed, both sexes were abused. Clergy who had only access to girls only abused girls. The whole point about paedophilia is that it is not orientation based but access-based.
Actually, many of the priests had access to a wide variety of potential victims. If you have research to back any of the above up, I'd be interested. Otherwise, it's just speculation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies