"Homosexuality linked to pedophilia" says Pope's no 2

USER1234

No, they abused kids. I'll think you'll find that makes them paedophiles.

If you have sex with your dog and your dog happens to be male you'd probably be worried that you were gay, whereas most normal people would point to the beastiality as the deviant worrying bahaviour.

To clarify

Homosexuals in 99% of the time engage in consentual sex.
Paedo's rape kids

See?
+1

TommyO'Brien

The issue is not why there are so many priests who were paedophiles, but why so many paedophiles were attracted to the priesthood?

As usual, however, Rome is looking for a scapegoat for its own failings.

Almanac

eoghanacht

The issue is not why there are so many priests who were paedophiles, but why so many paedophiles were attracted to the priesthood?

+1

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
90% of the priests convicted were homosexual.
It is a normal biological preference for adults to be attracted to teenagers

The term Ephebophilia is sometimes used

All hetereosexual males will say... find some degree of attraction to a fit 15 year old girl

All homosexual males will say ... find some degree of attraction to a fit 15 year old boy

However the vast majority of males, do not act on these impulses for societal & personal moral reasons

Paedophilia , being the attraction of adults to children (i.e. pre-pubescents) is a different matter.

cYp

TommyO'Brien

Actually, many of the priests had access to a wide variety of potential victims. If you have research to back any of the above up, I'd be interested. Otherwise, it's just speculation.
Not in the pre-Vatican II church they hadn't. Access to girls was usually in circumstances where they could not alone with them. Access to boys was easier because they had access in single-sex Catholic schools, many of whom had priests as teachers and chaplains, access to altar-boys unsupervised, access through local groups arranged by gender. Paedophiles with a long history of only abusing boys because they only had access to boys, when they got access to girls too abused them also.

To thing that gender is a defining characteristic of paedophilia is to completely misunderstand what paedophilia is. It isn't gender-specific but access-specific.

G

Gadjodilo

Almanac,

People like you are contributing hugely to the final destruction of Christianity (and in particular Catholicism) in Europe and the western world. Atheists don't even need to attack Catholicism any more. They need only sit back and snigger while you portray it as backward looking, hate-filled and reactionary. Think for a moment and ask yourself if this is the sort of person Jesus was.

G.

Mary Frances

The response of the Catholic Church to the child abuse crisis seems to be entirely unco-ordinated. I think they need to hold a Vatican 111.

G

Gadjodilo

The vast majority of priests are not paedophiles and other organisations have had paedophile employees too. I would contend that the issue is why the Roman Catholic Church protected its paedphiles, moving them on, concealing their identity and thereby facilitating their access to yet more victims.

TommyO'Brien

The vast majority of priests are not paedophiles and other organisations have had paedophile employees too. I would contend that the issue is why the Roman Catholic Church protected its paedphiles, moving them on, concealing their identity and thereby facilitating their access to yet more victims.
A fair point. The point I was making was why didn't the Church spot what was happening and do something about it. By not doing something, did the Church (unintentionally) act as an enabler, because Catholic paedophiles knew that if they entered the Church they would have ready access to children, but if caught wouldn't go to prison, but simply would be reshuffled and their crimes covered up?

Twin Towers

People like you are contributing hugely to the final destruction of Christianity (and in particular Catholicism) in Europe and the western world. Atheists don't even need to attack Catholicism any more. They need only sit back and snigger while you portray it as backward looking, hate-filled and reactionary. Think for a moment and ask yourself if this is the sort of person Jesus was.

G.
It more looks like it is homosexuals who are backward looking, hate-filled and reactionary. There seems to be no hate like homo hate ever present on these pages.

USER1234

It more looks like it is homosexuals who are backward looking, hate-filled and reactionary. There seems to be no hate like homo hate ever present on these pages.
What utter rubbish and a perfect to twist the topic away from an aspect of it (ie criticizing the church) you don't like and would i;ke to avoid being discussed!!!

Last edited:
G

Gadjodilo

A fair point. The point I was making was why didn't the Church spot what was happening and do something about it. By not doing something, did the Church (unintentionally) act as an enabler, because Catholic paedophiles knew that if they entered the Church they would have ready access to children, but if caught wouldn't go to prison, but simply would be reshuffled and their crimes covered up?
This could very well be the case. There was also the unquestioning acceptance in society (at least in this country) of the priest as a person of almost unimpeachable motives and morals (not to mention unspecified supernatural powers).

Twin Towers

What utter rubbish and a perfect to twist the topic away from an aspect of it !!!! (ie criticizing the church) you dont like and would ike to avoid being discussed!!!
I've no interest whatsovever in the church. I do notice the extraordinary levels of hate exercised by homosexuals however. Is it just one trying to out-shriek the other?

liamfoley

This might be a more important aspect of the story in the long run:
On a visit to Chile, Bertone, dubbed the Deputy Pope, also said Pope Benedict would soon take more surprising initiatives regarding the sex abuse scandal but did not elaborate.
If anyone can find a link to a more detailed story it might actually throw more light on this discussion.

TommyO'Brien

This could very well be the case. There was also the unquestioning acceptance in society (at least in this country) of the priest as a person of almost unimpeachable motives and morals (not to mention unspecified supernatural powers).
Precisely. A member of my family in the 1940s was targeted by a paedophile who was able to get access to him as a priest, offering to bring him to sports events in his car. I have read letters from my relatives aunts praising the priest for being 'so good with kids'. They had no idea. Luckily my relative fought him off but dare not tell his mother that the 'holy priest' had tried to grab him and pull his trousers down. (His mother blamed her son for not liking the priest and it badly damaged their relationship - in those days not being religious was seen as a scandal. She couldn't understand why he wanted nothing to do with the priest.)

JSLeFanu

liamfoley said:
Pedophilia is not linked to celibacy, that is a fact. But what I want to know is did he say that pedophilia is linked to homosexuality or did he say that sexual abuse by priests is linked to homosexuality. It is a disturbing fact that such a high proportion of victims are teenage boys and this might be a valid point to discuss but let us at least get what he said right before we try and execute the man.
It's about access. The high proportion of victims being teenage boys, or younger, is a consequence of teenage boys being easy pray for male teachers and priests.

Male teachers and priests have a lot less unfettered access to teenage girls, or younger girls for that matter too.

Where males do have unrestricted access to young girls, such as sports and swimming coaches, we find that abuse takes place there too. It's just that there are a lot less male swimming and sports coaches in the world than there are male teacher and priests in charge of young males.

It seems to me this explanation has a lot more to recommend it than this attempt to pin it on the gays.

Edit: should have finished the thread out before posting as I notice others have already made the same or similar points. Nonetheless this argument is more elegant, ie it multiplies less entities than the one being pushed by the church.

I must say the catholic church seem to be falling to bits at the moment. Exorcists talking about the devil stalking the church. The Popes nearest and dearest flailing out at everything they can hit, especially the favourite old targets: homosexuals and Jews. They're a messy and now an increasingly ugly shambles. This Pope is a ******************************g disaster on stilts for them.

Still for those of us who always knew the scum that lurked beneath it's quite a pleasure to look at the it all collapsing around them. They could rescues some scraps of dignity but, alas they've no dignity to salvage so what we get is the savage roar of a dying tyranny.

New Threads

Most Replies