Hon Paschal

Marcos the black

Great news coming out this evening about Paschal Donohue

Mr Donohoe said: "I am deeply honored to be elected as the new President of the Eurogroup.

"I look forward to working with all of my Eurogroup colleagues in the years ahead to ensure a fair and inclusive recovery for all as we meet the challenges ahead with determination"

Well earned and well deserved. A tribute to the work he's done here to over the last number of years as MoF.
Will Ireland benefit from this promotion? There are a number of challenges ahead across the Eurozone, but hopefully this appointment will put Ireland front and centre at the heart of The EU.

Congrats Paschal.

de valera's' giddy goat

Great news coming out this evening about Paschal Donohue

Mr Donohoe said: "I am deeply honored to be elected as the new President of the Eurogroup.

"I look forward to working with all of my Eurogroup colleagues in the years ahead to ensure a fair and inclusive recovery for all as we meet the challenges ahead with determination"

Well earned and well deserved. A tribute to the work he's done here to over the last number of years as MoF.
Will Ireland benefit from this promotion? There are a number of challenges ahead across the Eurozone, but hopefully this appointment will put Ireland front and centre at the heart of The EU.

Congrats Paschal.
Exactly what benefit will this posting be to Ireland and why is it good news? Will it not distract a minister who should be concentrating on getting Ireland's economy back and running with unemployment at alarming levels?

Marcos the black

Exactly what benefit will this posting be to Ireland and why is it good news? Will it not distract a minister who should be concentrating on getting Ireland's economy back and running with unemployment at alarming levels?
Do you think it makes things worse for us having an Irish person as president?

de valera's' giddy goat

Do you think it makes things worse for us having an Irish person as president?
You didn't answer my question but to answer yours as I have already said we need a minister for finance who isn't distracted by other duties, be they light or heavy. Now isn't the time to be double jobbing i would have thought.

Marcos the black

You didn't answer my question but to answer yours as I have already said we need a minister for finance who isn't distracted by other duties, be they light or heavy. Now isn't the time to be double jobbing i would have thought.
To answer your question he's "double jobbing" with his Eurozone counterparts and leading the response to the challenges that lie ahead.
It adds enormously to our voice within the EU and therefore our ability to recover from this.

Uganda

To answer your question he's "double jobbing" with his Eurozone counterparts and leading the response to the challenges that lie ahead.
It adds enormously to our voice within the EU and therefore our ability to recover from this.
you’ll never convince little Irelanders of this.

once insular always insular

Sweet Darling

The more Irish men that are in positions of power/influence the better.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Reminds me of how proud we all were when Charlie McCreevy was European Commissioner with responsibility for banking regulation around Europe. Up to about 2005/2006 when he'd finished being lunched.

The fact that it turns out European banks weren't being regulated at all in terms of liquidity breaches and were about as robust as a pound shop is truly remarkable considering all the work McCreevy put in.

Far as I recall he organised a stakeholder feedback round from the banks on how they'd like to be regulated and when he got to the end of the process he found he'd enjoyed it so much he decided to do the consultation again :)

You'll not find any financial regulation in Charlie's career legacy.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Maybe Paschal will have some fresh ideas. Like not disturbing banks much.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Could we not get him an assistant? Pat Neary our former colossus of financial regulation is available. 'Good man yerself, Paschal', he could say, periodically.

Sync

If you take the list of people who bitch about Ireland not having enough power in the EU and the list of people bitching about how this doesn’t matter: the overlap section on the venn diagram will be huge.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If you take the list of people who bitch about Ireland not having enough power in the EU and the list of people bitching about how this doesn’t matter: the overlap section on the vent diagram will be huge.
We're just venning.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I don't bitch about Ireland not having enough power in the EU. I'm a realist and know that this is never going to be a situation in which we are a major voice. The closest we've come to that was the Lisbon Treaty farrago and probably the more than decent performance by Irish representatives during the Brexit capers around the Backstop.

I would never expect Ireland to be a major voice in European affairs but then that's up to us ultimately as to how influential we want to be. We have some interesting stuff going for us, probably best on another thread though.

Things are improving in our representation in senior European hurling but I don't want to see it endangered by people doing a McCreevy in the rare shots we do get at senior hurling. It doesn't help in the long run.

Look at Dr Mike (?) Ryan at the WHO, someone who has had a difficult role in a crisis and comes across very well as a spokesthing in the media. Very cool, calm, collected and the cameras and microphones like him, no matter what they think of the WHO.

We have a very influential compatriot who works in the UN in the middle east- highly respected figure in dispute resolution. The reason we get people like the former Labour Party leader getting invited around the world as 'experts on dispute resolution' is because people are mistaking our political representatives for being responsible somehow for the success of the Anglo-Irish talks generally. I'm not really comfortable with public faces being appointed on the basis of a dubious allocation of credit in the past.

Not keen either on political horse-trading as a way of propelling the right people into the right roles. Doesn't work in the average office, I see no reason to think why it would produce a better result at major public appointment level.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Is that because we are extending our pothole politics out to the international arena? If you notice lately the thread on the disappointment west of the Shannon in not 'getting' a Minister.

It isn't because people are offended by there not being a Minister from their geography but because they think they will miss out on the distribution of goodies traditionally allowed Ministers. At national expense.

de valera's' giddy goat

you’ll never convince little Irelanders of this.

once insular always insular
Oh if he had no important duties to fulfill in Ireland i'd say best of luck to him, fill your boots. But I don't see the benefit of this appointment when he should be focused 100% on home financial affairs. And his competitor for this Euro post was favoured by France and Germany, not a ringing endorsement for him from the two euro countries that matter.

Marcos the black

Is that because we are extending our pothole politics out to the international arena? If you notice lately the thread on the disappointment west of the Shannon in not 'getting' a Minister.

It isn't because people are offended by there not being a Minister from their geography but because they think they will miss out on the distribution of goodies traditionally allowed Ministers. At national expense.
So to summarise you don't see any benefit to Ireland of this promotion at all?

But at the same time you say "I would never expect Ireland to be a major voice in European affairs but then that's up to us ultimately as to how influential we want to be."

So it's up to us how influential we are, but getting people into influential roles is not the way to do it. Is that it?

enuffisenuff

He wont make a blind bit of difference..jobs for the boys..nothing more

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom