Hong Kong - Dublin Direct Flights

Marcos the black

Just popping this in the Economy forum as this could lead to massive opportunities for Irish businesses:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/direct-flights-from-dublin-to-hong-kong-next-year-1.3204653

4 flights per week starting from next June. The inbound to Dublin flight will get in at about 6 am so will be great for connecting flights/doing business in Dublin. This opens up massive opportunities for Dublin Airport itself and the wider Irish economy.
Apparently about 40,000 already fly this route per annum through various connections, so it could really "take off" once there are direct flights. Nice airline too, btw.. Cathay Pacific.

Seen as how it's p.ie, anyone got any issues with this announcement, or are we all good?

The Field Marshal

Great news indeed.
Four flights per week is also impressive.

The direct flight distance is just over 6,100 miles.
So a non stop Jumbo flight could do it in under 11 hours.

The proposed aircraft is A350-900 airbus with a range of 15000 km.
This will mean at least one refuelling stop.
Cruising speed 0.85 Mach should see a journey time excluding layover/refuelling of under 8 hours.

A350-900 aircraft: A350-900 range, specifications (dimensions, seating capacity, performance), cabin | Airbus | Airbus, Commercial Aircraft

I was just wondering where you got the 6 am Dublin arrival time from?

Last edited:

Roll_On

Great news. Dublin airport was really lacking a connection to the far east, we were depending on Dubai/AbuDabi, Istanbul and Doha connections. There might not even be a Doha next year. We could also do with a regular flight to Mexico or a South American hub, perhaps Buenos Aires. I'd hope we get some more flights to the far east, certainly bankok would be hugely popular with Irish people transiting to Australia.

Crucially the state needs to put it's full weight into supporting Dublin's transition to being a hub airport. Get the new runway built, terminal 3 needs to be planned now and for godsake someone get a tunnel boring machine into the god damn ground out there.

razorblade

This is great for anyone who needs to fly over for business without having to go to Heathrow, they can now go directly from Dublin.

razorblade

Great news. Dublin airport was really lacking a connection to the far east, we were depending on Dubai/AbuDabi, Istanbul and Doha connections. There might not even be a Doha next year. We could also do with a regular flight to Mexico or a South American hub, perhaps Buenos Aires. I'd hope we get some more flights to the far east, certainly bankok would be hugely popular with Irish people transiting to Australia.

Crucially the state needs to put it's full weight into supporting Dublin's transition to being a hub airport. Get the new runway built, terminal 3 needs to be planned now and for godsake someone get a tunnel boring machine into the god damn ground out there.
A railway connection also wouldnt go amiss.

ruserious

If 40,000 already use the route annually, with a new route having 208 flights per year...that's 192 passengers on average per flight if all 40,000 switch to this route. An Airbus A350 can carry 325 pax. So they are already well on the way to having a viable route without even carrying out advertising. Should be a viable route.

The Field Marshal

The Field Marshal

Current fares vary from 695 to 1035 round trip.

Flight Dublin Hong Kong from EUR 694 RT - cheap flights Hong Kong, HONG KONG | Air France

It will be interesting to see if these drop in the light of this new development.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2109222/cathay-pacific-announces-direct-flights-hong-kong-ireland

Dublin – from June 2
CX307 from Hong Kong: departure 12.50am / arrival 6.45am (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)
CX306 from Dublin: departure 11.50am / arrival 7.05am +1 (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday)

Last edited:

Spanner Island

Just popping this in the Economy forum as this could lead to massive opportunities for Irish businesses:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/direct-flights-from-dublin-to-hong-kong-next-year-1.3204653

4 flights per week starting from next June. The inbound to Dublin flight will get in at about 6 am so will be great for connecting flights/doing business in Dublin. This opens up massive opportunities for Dublin Airport itself and the wider Irish economy.
Apparently about 40,000 already fly this route per annum through various connections, so it could really "take off" once there are direct flights. Nice airline too, btw.. Cathay Pacific.

Seen as how it's p.ie, anyone got any issues with this announcement, or are we all good?
Great news alright... and there may be another by the end of the year from Beijing...

Can't help thinking one or more of the MEB3 may cut capacity as a result however... currently 5 flights a day to the Middle East - Etihad & Emirates x 2 and Qatar x 1 with most of the traffic connecting... can't see that being sustainable...

There must be some opportunity from Japan too... for feeding traffic through Dublin to Europe and by focusing on competitive fares... cos the Japanese have been ripped off forever getting to Europe...

3 or 4 weekly to Tokyo might be viable by someone... Aer Lingus even... once they start getting their A350s...

I never thought I'd see Dublin anywhere close to 30 million per annum - it's an impressive number for a city of 1.5 million and a country of 5.5 million.

Gin Soaked

There is now, at last, no need for a railway connection between Dublin and Hongkong.
With a suitably plush sleeper coach and dining car, it would be epic though.

Need a strict rule on the "lower orders" though. Possibly an open carriage if they insist...

Sister Mercedes

It's Cathay Pacific. They'll have 3 classes, economy, business and first. Here's a taste of their first.

The Field Marshal

With a suitably plush sleeper coach and dining car, it would be epic though.

Need a strict rule on the "lower orders" though. Possibly an open carriage if they insist...
Now that the proposed Dublin- Hong Kong rail connection has finally been put to sleep cities across Europe and Asia can at last divert to other projects the funding for this adventure.

I expect free pints all around tonight in Kilgarvan.

The Field Marshal

I was talking about a railway connection to Dublin Airport itself obviously,
Obviously then
your proposal for a rail connection between Dublin Airport and Hong Kong is not now likely to proceed in the light of new developments.?

you would need an unbelievably railway in order to get to Hong Kong.

Indeed you would.

But Iarnroad Eireann , who btw would be expected to get the contract , have much expertise in constructing these unbelievably rail links.

The Field Marshal

Jesus, that is a picture really screaming out for a caption.
Asian women relax and chat in relief as Dublin-Hong Kong white elephant railway plans abandoned.

Bea C

Asian women relax and chat in relief as Dublin-Hong Kong white elephant railway plans abandoned.
The passenger is bloody glamorous, but the hostess is caked in makeup.
Incidentally, I'm back to 'winter' foundation today. I wear Dior's Nude regardless, but in the summer months (alas more weeks this year) I go a shade darker. This year being what it was, any colour I had packed up and returned back to Italy not long after my June holiday. I was gonna switch a fortnight ago, but decided for psychiatric reasons not to.
I have today.
I feel I'm looking kinda washed out?

Marcos the black

Great news indeed.
Four flights per week is also impressive.

The direct flight distance is just over 6,100 miles.
So a non stop Jumbo flight could do it in under 11 hours.

The proposed aircraft is A350-900 airbus with a range of 15000 km.
This will mean at least one refuelling stop.
Cruising speed 0.85 Mach should see a journey time excluding layover/refuelling of under 8 hours.

A350-900 aircraft: A350-900 range, specifications (dimensions, seating capacity, performance), cabin | Airbus | Airbus, Commercial Aircraft

I was just wondering where you got the 6 am Dublin arrival time from?
The 6am arrival time was discussed on Newstalk business section yesterday evening. Not in the link that I supplied.

The Field Marshal

The passenger is bloody glamorous, but the hostess is caked in makeup.
Incidentally, I'm back to 'winter' foundation today. I wear Dior's Nude regardless, but in the summer months (alas more weeks this year) I go a shade darker. This year being what it was, any colour I had packed up and returned back to Italy not long after my June holiday. I was gonna switch a fortnight ago, but decided for psychiatric reasons not to.
I have today.
I feel I'm looking kinda washed out?
Don,t.
Just think how really washed out you would be after building that railway from Dublin to Hong Kong.

Indeed with this new air route all sorts of opportunities are opening up for the Tralee people and Farranfore.

The Field Marshal

New Threads

Most Replies