Hong Kong protests thread

Dame_Enda

Violent scenes in Australian universities at protests in support of Hong Kong and the Uighurs, as they are attacked by pro China students. There are an estimated 200,000 Chinese students in Australia, and the government is investigating the role of the Confucius institutes, which are Chinese student societies around the world some of which have been accused of trying to shut down criticism of China in universities.

[/URL]

Pyewacket

james toney

Not sure what you mean.....I never said China is being helpful or not.....he is answering the questions of the journalist.....and explaining a few home truths.

Pyewacket

Not sure what you mean.....I never said China is being helpful or not.....he is answering the questions of the journalist.....and explaining a few home truths.
You need to read more widely. It is not a good thing that China now feels it can call the shots in HK.

Of course you can get a laugh out of the UK's greatly diminished international clout, but don't think the Chinese are any bloody better.

james toney

Oh i do.......You need to grasp reality.....What makes you think i was laughing?
Let me throw you a shovel.....What makes you think i think the Chinese are better than the UK?

Pyewacket

Oh i do.......You need to grasp reality.....What makes you think i was laughing?
Let me throw you a shovel.....What makes you think i think the Chinese are better than the UK?
I think you are missing my point. Why don't you read the first writer here, he is Chinese.

He really doesn't think its good for China to start throwing its weight around, no matter how tempting it might be.

james toney

Not missing your point at all....or your lies or mind reading efforts.
Why don't you try and answer the question...why did you say i was laughing? and why do you think i think China is better than the UK?

Pyewacket

Not missing your point at all....or your lies or mind reading efforts.
Why don't you try and answer the question...why did you say i was laughing? and why do you think i think China is better than the UK?
Oh for FFS, I don't know what you think other than you enjoy Chinese despots having a pop at the Brits.

I don't like that at all, because I think China is dangerous, especially for the people of HK, who have my sympathy.

Happy now?

james toney

I wasn't laughing at all...but am now at that answer.
So now you say "i enjoy Chinese despots having a pop at the brits" which is another lie.
Mystic Meg must be shaking in her slippers.

Black Swan

Hong Kong's younger generations demonstrate against their imminent loss of Democratic agency to Totalitarianism, while the West looks on in ambivalence.

Ardillaun

I don’t think these violent protests are a good idea - a person allegedly associated with the security forces looks to have been seriously injured at the airport today although he looks like he’s moving now. Such incidents may give Beijing the pretext it needs to end all Hong Kong autonomy. Taiwan will be next.

making waves

I don’t think these violent protests are a good idea - a person allegedly associated with the security forces looks to have been seriously injured at the airport today although he looks like he’s moving now. Such incidents may give Beijing the pretext it needs to end all Hong Kong autonomy. Taiwan will be next.
The HK state has used triad gangs to attack protesters, has used undercover cops to provoke violence and have used the riot cops to engage in widespread violence against the protesters.

The protests do not need to engage in indiscriminate violence - there are hundreds of thousands on the streets on a daily basis - the protests have overwhelming social weight. An example - paramedics in the HK hospitals are currently staging a sit-in in the hospitals in protest against police murders of protesters and attempts to arrest protesters attending hospital after assaults by police. This has had a major impact in the police being forced out of the hospitals.

The key at this point is the organised workers - the trade unions in Hong Kong - and the indications are that the rank-and-file trade union members are now putting huge pressure on the trade union leaders to call strikes in support of the protests. This development could well be the key factor in forcing the sacking of Carrie Lam and the abandonment of the extradition law.

Levellers

These Kuomintang remnants have pushed too far and will soon feel the wrath of the dragon.

silverharp

Could we send our commies over there and let their democrats come here? win win!

Buchaill Dana

Could we send our commies over there and let their democrats come here? win win!
A fella wrote to the Times today suggesting the Brits give HK folk passports. The Chinese lose the 'problem' people, the Brits get workers post Brexit.

Makes as much sense.

silverharp

A fella wrote to the Times today suggesting the Brits give HK folk passports. The Chinese lose the 'problem' people, the Brits get workers post Brexit.

Makes as much sense.
Send Corybn supporters over in exchange it would be even better for the UK, not so good for HK

Clanrickard

These Kuomintang remnants have pushed too far and will soon feel the wrath of the dragon.
That's Taiwan you are thinking of. But then I suppose they all look the same to you.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies