• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Horrific Cuts Comming To Social Welfare Benefits For 3 Day Week Workers.

Passionateheart

It has been reported on Kiberd's Newstalk programme today that Batty O'Keefe has been making overtures to O'Cuiv on this one. Probably the excuse will be used that it's a disincentive to work! 65,000 people are currently in this position, including me, so our 'Government' is obviously lusting after the potential savings at the expense of workers, who have contributed both to the welfare system and the general economy and have fallen on hard times. Well sure, any 'Government' which cut the blind person's pension is capable of anything! This is another example of predominantly working class people, not an underclass rubbish now, being ridden red raw yet again! How can this be headed off at the pass? and when will these horrific attacks be stopped? Kiberd was talking to the lovely Bobby Kerr on this, who said it's an area which needs to be looked at, as it's to generous along with the minimum wage of course!!
In the Public v Private debate, we have had , the sanest comment of all to my ear was made by a non prominent public service trade union official, who said - The real ? is why have private sector workers been paid so badly here?
Re my own situation I'm 30 Euros per week down on the 3 day week, so when I go back on 5 days, I will earn 15 euros per day effectively for those extra days. This is a reflection on my crap employers not on the social welfare system! All in all factoring in the benefits I would get on the full dole V a 5 day week, I would be 80 Euros better off at a max slaving!

TonyM65

the sanest comment of all to my ear was made by a non prominent public service trade union official, who said - The real ? is why have private sector workers been paid so badly here?
Of course a public sector union rep will say this. He'd love to see private sector pay increase so that he could justify not cutting public sector pay, or even demanding increases. Don't think for a minute that he actually cares about private sector workers

toughbutfair

It has been reported on Kiberd's Newstalk programme today that Batty O'Keefe has been making overtures to O'Cuiv on this one. Probably the excuse will be used that it's a disincentive to work! 65,000 people are currently in this position, including me, so our 'Government' is obviously lusting after the potential savings at the expense of workers, who have contributed both to the welfare system and the general economy and have fallen on hard times. Well sure, any 'Government' which cut the blind person's pension is capable of anything! This is another example of predominantly working class people, not an underclass rubbish now, being ridden red raw yet again! How can this be headed off at the pass? and when will these horrific attacks be stopped? Kiberd was talking to the lovely Bobby Kerr on this, who said it's an area which needs to be looked at, as it's to generous along with the minimum wage of course!!
In the Public v Private debate, we have had , the sanest comment of all to my ear was made by a non prominent public service trade union official, who said - The real ? is why have private sector workers been paid so badly here?
Re my own situation I'm 30 Euros per week down on the 3 day week, so when I go back on 5 days, I will earn 15 euros per day effectively for those extra days. This is a reflection on my crap employers not on the social welfare system! All in all factoring in the benefits I would get on the full dole V a 5 day week, I would be 80 Euros better off at a max slaving!
you realise something is wrong when you'd only be 30 euro better off for working another 2 days?

bob3344

Of course he does - he said that he is being paid crap wages.
Second highest min wage in Europe. The problem is that the dole is too high, should either be cut across the board or else cut after a defined period of time to make working worthwhile.

Second highest min wage in Europe. The problem is that the dole is too high, should either be cut across the board or else cut after a defined period of time to make working worthwhile.

And yet Ireland has the 2nd highest food and drink prices in Europe.

Our Electricity prices are some of the highest also.

The reason our dole is high is simply down to the cost of living which is increasing.

What would you have people on the dole live on?

turdsl

So the people in the private sector think the solution is to drag wages down to their level,

Fides

So the people in the private sector think the solution is to drag wages down to their level,
Yes we do. As already pointed out our minimum wage is 2nd highest in Europe so our low paid workers are paid better than low paid workers in all of Europe except Luxembourg. The mimimum wage sets the benchmark for everybody else and yes comparatively the Irish private sector worker is paid better than EU counterparts. The Public sector is even better paid.

The 3 day week issue has been an anomoly for a long time now where employees are basically better off working 3 days than 5 days. And yes that has been exploited by some employers. Something does need to be done about it.

LeDroit

Yes. It's called benchmarking.

constitutionus

i think this could blow up in their faces.

alot of these people would be better off on the dole.

hell i work a three day week myself and I'D be better off, but i dont claim for this stuff as my decision was voluntary and TBH i dont need the money thanks to my personal circumstances.

but i know ALOT of people out there are only staying in employment because of this and when you consider they were going on about extending stuff like this to full time workers on the edge of being laid off you have to wonder at what the thinking is.

still EVERYTHING is up in the air now and considering this state happily wastes money on dumb ass things i wouldnt be surprised if they cut their nose off to spite their face here.

waterford

And yet Ireland has the 2nd highest food and drink prices in Europe.

Our Electricity prices are some of the highest also.

The reason our dole is high is simply down to the cost of living which is increasing.

What would you have people on the dole live on?
Spot on. The cost of living has increased alarmingly in the past ten years this needs to be addressed before we have any more cuts/taxs/levies/, cut your own wages boys?
Please do lead by example. :)

Newsy

Spot on. The cost of living has increased alarmingly in the past ten years this needs to be addressed before we have any more cuts/taxs/levies/, cut your own wages boys?
+10

Fides

You have a bit of a chicken and egg situation with this. The argument is we all have to be paid more to pay for our high prices which partially came about because of our high wages.

You say cut the prices and then cut the wages but this will put some of the providers of the goods and services out of business if they are still paying the high wages.

On the other hand if you cut wages and the prices of goods and services stay high you have the affordability problem.

Ideally they both need to drop at the same time across all sectors. Any ideas?

turdsl

Yes. It's called benchmarking.
Those in the private sector are entitled to a living wage just the same as anyone else, Certain employers want to cut those people on the minimum wage, that will be resisted, Unions believe in raising standards not pull them down.

Last edited:

katiewalsh13

Hold on a second - all this talk about giving people incentives to work by cutting social welfare again is all fair and fine but can someone tell me WHERE are the jobs????

Fides

Those in the private sector are entitled to a living wage just the same as anyone else, Certain employers want to cut those people on the minimum wage, that will be resisted, Unions believe in raising standards not pull them down.
Turds - at no time have you addressed the problem we in Ireland (private and public) are better paid than most our EU neighbours (and pay less tax). This is unsustainable from a competition point of view.

We are being paid a living wage but our definition of living is too rich.

katiewalsh13

this is a race not to the bottom but to slavery...which of course will suit all the multi-nationals who are looking to Ireland as a place where they will get highly educated and skilled people to work for low wages and tax free incentive. Of course this suits the government....because of they are getting people back to work (well back to serfdom really) but who cares as long as the banks and the big boys are happy

davehiggz

We are being paid a living wage but our definition of living is too rich.
+1

We really need to have an objective discussion on what a living wage is. The cost of living is down and we need to do a breakdown of what people need to survive, not to live like their working friends, or to live like they used to.

Many people are highlighting how people "can't survive" without backing their arguments up with a total of daily spending.

Many people seem to get by on the dole without quarrel and I heard on the radio today many people who would be happy to see their old age pension cut too.