• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Horse meat found in another Irish burger factory

ticketyboo

Just seen this on the "Herald Scotland" website 16 minutes ago.
I've got a bad feeling about this. How bad can this get in terms of reputational damage to Ireland, and what would be the total effect on employment.
I'd imagine this could be catastrophic. Someone who knows this business care to enlighten me?
We could have 99.9% compliance in the industry, but we've seen in other sectors what happens when panic sets in. The herd mentality and all that.
This could be very costly, I'd imagine?

EmmettTCorcoran

It's rare that goodwill of which Ireland has much, can save a reputation, I see it being very costly in the short-term, with a potential for a lot of damage to the factories in particular, but also to our over all export lead economic recover. I do however feel, that the reaction to date of govt. and officials has staved of any serious long term reputation damage... It is without doubt a pivot point for the industry to address and react accordingly.

friendlyfire

When you have a elite that have carried out the biggest fraud in history....we will always be prone to these massive scams.When will we wake up, we have a country that is governed like a county council!

Hewson

I've got a bad feeling about this. How bad can this get in terms of reputational damage to Ireland, and what would be the total effect on employment.
I'd imagine this could be catastrophic. Someone who knows this business care to enlighten me?
We could have 99.9% compliance in the industry, but we've seen in other sectors what happens when panic sets in. The herd mentality and all that.
The Poles are getting the blame again. This time the 'filler' in the burger seems to be 70%+ of the meat content.

What we have in effect is horseburger with added beef.

loner

What was the point of the Beef Tribunal---has anyone learned any lessons?

Hewson

ticketyboo

It's rare that goodwill of which Ireland has much, can save a reputation, I see it being very costly in the short-term, with a potential for a lot of damage to the factories in particular, but also to our over all export lead economic recover. I do however feel, that the reaction to date of govt. and officials has staved of any serious long term reputation damage... It is without doubt a pivot point for the industry to address and react accordingly.
I would be worried though that even if we can accept that government and officials at the Department are doing good work thus far, the fear is that for the likes of Tesco, one might be considered an aberration, two(or more)could be seen as a pattern. Hope I'm wrong, but I think we might be seeing a very bright light shone in to very dark places.

loner

Why was this manufacturing plant not checked?Are there any other large scale burger manufacturers that have not yet been checked? Who is the Irish meat trader who is importing the stuff from Poland? Can people be prosecuted for manufacturing and selling Irish Beef burgers that are not 100% Irish? What an appalling mess--will anyone be prosecuted for such treasonable activities?

Crazy horse 6

Monkey see monkey do. Corruption and greed are part and parcel of the irish way of life and always have been.

Will be interesting to see how the government spin this into a win for "Ireland inc"

B

birthday

Accreditation:
BRC global standard Grade A External auditors EFSIS
(CLAS) accredited Microbiological laboratory.
Approved quality management system, HCCP, traceability, positive release IE717
Approved environmental management system, Repak member. Ethical trading policy including all suppliers.

Good to see that all the above were in place!

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
What was the point of the Beef Tribunal---has anyone learned any lessons?
Yeah, if you have money you can afford to do what you like. but in this case there will be new rules as it is too costly to sweep this under the carpet. I do'nt know why the blame is going on the Poles, the contents are supposed to be 100% Irish beef so what are the Irish processors importing for?

commonman

There in big trouble tonight did the horse meat came from an Irish company

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Rangeland Foods - Horses out on the Range, I would say a rebranding is in order.

He3

Monkey see monkey do. Corruption and greed are part and parcel of the irish way of life and always have been.

Will be interesting to see how the government spin this into a win for "Ireland inc"
Minister Coveney will be on Prime Time about this latest news, programme starts at 10.35pm.

I'd love a horseburger.

Seriously. I love horse steaks.

The meat is really good.

But people deserve to know what they're eating.

Yet, I have to say this: horsemeat is very distinctive to beef. It is close in texture, but has a deeper gamier taste. If people can't tell the difference between a burger made with pure beef and a horseburger, what is the reason? Are the additives so completely creating the taste that any oul shte can be put in them?

Is it getting to the stag where it doesn't make a difference? SO long as the meat is safe is it not much more than mere bulk while the taste is provided by some chemicals?

Our default at home is to male our own burgers, and it isn't totally straightforward to turn minced beef into something with a bit of flavour.

The problems may be as much with with else goes in there.

BTW, I'm not totally a food fetishist. I love a burger. Even if it does contain sphincter muscles.