Hostage Situation ongoing in Bangladesh Capital Dhaka

Lara2

"Two police officers have been killed in a gun battle, a spokesman said, and about 30 others injured.
So-called Islamic State has said it carried out the attack.
A statement on the group's self-styled news agency Amaq said militants had attacked a restaurant "frequented by foreigners". It said that more than 20 people "of different nationalities" had been killed but this has not been confirmed."

And "Police said the gunmen burst into the Holey Artisan Bakery cafe at about 21:20 (13:20 GMT) and opened fire.The cafe is described as being popular with expatriates, diplomats and middle-class families."

Gunmen take hostages in Bangladeshi capital Dhaka - BBC News

Apparently in an affluent area, recent news says at least 7 Italians are among the hostages.

Lara2

Should I change the title to something more catchy like "Ally Snackbar attack in posh area in Bangladesh, many Westeners shot"?

D

Deleted member 48908

Demands...

Three demands have been given for the safe return of the hostages (rough translations):

1. JMB leader, Khaled Saifuddin, has to be freed.
2. They have to be given safe passage out of the area.
3. It should be acknowledged that this attack is to establish Islam.

D

Deleted member 48908

Should I change the title to something more catchy like "Ally Snackbar attack in posh area in Bangladesh, many Westeners shot"?
Been going on for five hours at this stage, Lara2. Not much interest in Bangladesh round these parts. Many in this parish would struggle to find Dhaka on a map.

Extra

Very little info coming out. Some rumours on the twitter machine the American ambassador is being held.

asset test

Sorry Lara2, but the atrocity in Istanbul Airport two days ago is now forgotten except for the bereaved.

Few even know where Dhaka is. Sorry, but that is the reality nowadays. Unless it is on your own doorstep it is "over there".

Even Paris and Bataclan is gone from memory for many, especially since the Euros have gone through trouble free. Touche bois.

Such is life, it is cheap when it's not your own or your family's.

Vega1447

Unfortunately (for them) Bangladeshis are mostly Moslem.

Poor and Moslem, a losing combination..

Too bad.

If I was an educated Bengali and could get to W Europe, both I and my host country would be better off.

And fvck the mullahs.. Better idea, use them as land fill.

Extra

Seems every other day now the snackbars carry out an attack.

D

Deleted member 48908

Very little info coming out. Some rumours on the twitter machine the American ambassador is being held.
The US embassy have reported that all of their people are safe.
Terrorist attack in a diplomatic center of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Around 8:30PM local time; 9 men wielding guns, swords, and explosives stormed a bakery, killing several police and taking foreign & domestic hostages.

Reports say there are 40+ injured (source: CNN), and at least 2 dead(source: Local Law Enforcment). There are claims that there are 24 dead - This is unconfirmed at this time. The two confirmed dead are first responders K.I.A.; 30 of the injuries are police.

There are ~40 hostages right now; contact has been established with the hostage takers.

Explosions reported around 10:30PM local time.

U.S. Embassy says all of their personnel are safe.

ISIS has taken credit for the attack, as well as several other Islamic Extremist groups.

Those seeking to donate blood should go to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.

7 Italian Nationals reportedly among the hostages; confirmed by Italian Foreign Ministry. (Source Reuters UK)

GTV claims 1 attacker by has been arrested by police.

Bangla Tribune now reports that the attackers have made three concrete demands for their surrender.

Updates will be slow - Local Officials have urged news agencies to stop live reporting

Lara2

Sorry Lara2, but the atrocity in Istanbul Airport two days ago is now forgotten except for the bereaved.

Few even know where Dhaka is. Sorry, but that is the reality nowadays. Unless it is on your own doorstep it is "over there".

Even Paris and Bataclan is gone from memory for many, especially since the Euros have gone through trouble free. Touche bois.

Such is life, it is cheap when it's not your own or your family's.
What happened at the Bataclan has not gone from my memory. As a frequent gig-goer it appalled me that people at a music venue could be gunned down in a venue like the Olympia, for example. I mean it's really not that difficult to burst into an enclosed venue armed to the hilt and kill everyone because there's nowhere to run and it's too dark to see. Same as the horrific shooting in the gay club in Florida recently.

Lara2

The Holey Artisan restaurant is approx one mile from the American Embassy in Dhaka, the area around the restaurant is popular with the diplomatic staff who use it regularly, fortunately all Americans have been accounted for.
That's twice you've said it. That's great then, the septic tanks are safe whoo hoo.

che schifo

Been going on for five hours at this stage, Lara2. Not much interest in Bangladesh round these parts. Many in this parish would struggle to find Dhaka on a map.
Easy. It's where that french off road rally ends up.

asset test

Thought that was Dakar in Senegal for the rally.

But what do I know at this hour of the morning.

cunnyfunt

You'll be labelled a durty big islamophobe no matter...

D

Deleted member 48908

All over. Bangladeshi authorities went in and got the bad guys.

New Threads

Most Replies