household goods giant Unilever threatens to pull ads from online platforms which "create division"

CookieMonster

household goods giant Unilever threatens to pull ads from online platforms which "create division"

Unilever has threatened to withdraw its advertising from online platforms such as Facebook and Google if they fail to protect children, promote hate or create division in society.

“As one of the largest advertisers in the world, we cannot have an environment where our consumers don’t trust what they see online.

“And we cannot continue to prop up a digital supply chain – one that delivers over a quarter of our advertising to our consumers – which at times is little better than a swamp in terms of its transparency.”
I don't think the "fake news" thing is going away, so while Unilever's comments in that regard are important, what I was more struck by was the comment below:

“It is clear advertisers are becoming increasingly wary of online’s quality (P&G has also been cutting its digital ad spending without any impact on growth) and so are unlikely to shift money aggressively from TV to online as these concerns mount.”
SO, with advertising revenue being one of the main drivers of free digital platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and on a much smaller scale P.ie is the online advertising model about to end?

jmcc

Unilever has threatened to withdraw its advertising from online platforms such as Facebook and Google if they fail to protect children, promote hate or create division in society.
Being rather cynical, I wonder if there's a connection between the rise of Ad Blockers and the decreasing effectiveness of FB and Google ads due to people not seeing or ignoring ads?

silverharp

they should add sites that promote the Tide challenge :D

dizillusioned

Oh great. More adverts promoting Normal black people and silly white people.....*sigh*

The_SR

Being rather cynical, I wonder if there's a connection between the rise of Ad Blockers and the decreasing effectiveness of FB and Google ads due to people not seeing or ignoring ads?
I dont think online ads ever privided the same bang for buck as the traditional channels. Id say they are making a statement as much as scrapping the experiment.

jmcc

I dont think online ads ever privided the same bang for buck as the traditional channels. Id say they are making a statement as much as scrapping the experiment.
Better than traditional advertising for advertisers because of the pay per click model. Advertisers only paid for adverts on which the user clicked rather than ads that nobody watched or ignored.

The_SR

Better than traditional advertising for advertisers because of the pay per click model. Advertisers only paid for adverts on which the user clicked rather than ads that nobody watched or ignored.
But the click per sale ratio is dysmal.

The_SR

How much of print advertising results in a sale?
Apparantly a great deal more than online, where afs are still treated as a nuisance and potential scams. Watch the rest follow unilever

GDPR

Seems to be the norm nowadays on American TV... watch anything and the adverts have a very large bias that if it were the other way around would cause mayhem...But these are the PC times we live in.
Why is it that homosexuals tend to be so much more racist in general than normal people?

GDPR

Why is it homophobes try to know down anyone who states the obvious?
Look you belong to a much more troublesome and anti-social minority than Blacks so you are the last person who should be complaining about PC.

[video=youtube;lTrKvMbMTqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTrKvMbMTqw[/video]

Black Swan

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'd be surprised if even 1% of internet users have ad blockers installed.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Why is it that homosexuals tend to be so much more racist in general than normal people?
Talented trolls drop a little bit of bait into the water, followed by a little but more, and a little bit more. They get bites.

Then there are the completely un-talented trolls. They are readily identified as being arseholes.

jmcc

Apparantly a great deal more than online, where afs are still treated as a nuisance and potential scams. Watch the rest follow unilever
How many print publications have failed in the last twenty years as a result of the web and online advertising taking their markets? Ever heard of Craigslist?

jmcc

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I'd be surprised if even 1% of internet users have ad blockers installed.
Estimated at 11% according to Pagefair.
pagefair.com/blog/2017/ad blockreport/
(remove the space between 'ad' and 'blockreport' for URL.)

Trainwreck

I don't think the "fake news" thing is going away, so while Unilever's comments in that regard are important, what I was more struck by was the comment below:

SO, with advertising revenue being one of the main drivers of free digital platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and on a much smaller scale P.ie is the online advertising model about to end?

I am perfectly comfortable with them advertising, or not advertising, wherever they want.

I have greater concerns about whether media platforms will use this as justification to further ramp up their censorship of "unpersons" and ""wrongthinkers", which is already far to prevalent for any truly liberal-minded people.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies