household goods giant Unilever threatens to pull ads from online platforms which "create division"

Surkov

Who are the men behind 'Unilever'? In truth the corporation 'Unilever' has decided nothing... the men in control of it have.

So who are they? What are their political affiliations? What are their backgrounds? If they choose to use the vast wealth of 'Unilever' to constrain freedom of speech, to declare what is good and what is bad, to declare what is an 'acceptable' contribution to society, and who may make it, etc., then surely "journalists" right across the corporate media (cough cough) are chomping at the bit right now to dig into the backgrounds of these unelected kings of 'Unilever'? :shock:

CookieMonster

Who are the men behind 'Unilever'? In truth the corporation 'Unilever' has decided nothing... the men in control of it have.

So who are they? What are their political affiliations? What are their backgrounds? If they choose to use the vast wealth of 'Unilever' to constrain freedom of speech, to declare what is good and what is bad, to declare what is an 'acceptable' contribution to society, and who may make it, etc., then surely "journalists" right across the corporate media (cough cough) are chomping at the bit right now to dig into the backgrounds of these unelected kings of 'Unilever'? :shock:
George Soros, 'presumably'.

GDPR

I am perfectly comfortable with them advertising, or not advertising, wherever they want.

I have greater concerns about whether media platforms will use this as justification to further ramp up their censorship of "unpersons" and ""wrongthinkers", which is already far to prevalent for any truly liberal-minded people.
Media is a business and has no obligation whatsoever to provide a platform for anyone's views. If advertisers dont want to be associated with particular political ideologies it is their prerogative.

That is liberalism.

Watcher2

They are merely making a decision about their own spend, no?

Clanrickard

I am perfectly comfortable with them advertising, or not advertising, wherever they want.

I have greater concerns about whether media platforms will use this as justification to further ramp up their censorship of "unpersons" and ""wrongthinkers", which is already far to prevalent for any truly liberal-minded people.
All media platforms are private and can decide who they allow or don't allow on their platforms. If they do get too censorious they will lose followers.

Black Swan

Estimated at 11% according to Pagefair.
pagefair.com/blog/2017/ad blockreport/
(remove the space between 'ad' and 'blockreport' for URL.)
Funnily enough, Ghostery prevented me from viewing that link. :|

Trainwreck

Media is a business and has no obligation whatsoever to provide a platform for anyone's views. If advertisers dont want to be associated with particular political ideologies it is their prerogative.

That is liberalism.
Where did I state any media business has an obligation to provide a platform for anybody's opinion?

You Libtards, just keep teeing up the strawmen and I'll keep driving them down the range. And everyone will keep observing how you have nothing germane to add to the discussion, except irrelevant crap.

Trainwreck

All media platforms are private and can decide who they allow or don't allow on their platforms. If they do get too censorious they will lose followers.
Indeed they can.

I said I have concerns when they all begin to tip in a particular direction and any semblance of balance is lost. We lose as a society.

Riddle me this. How rabid do you think the Ninths of this world would be right now if 90%+ of mainstream and social media were even balanced, let alone tilted towards and filtering in favour of Trump? You guessed it, they would be baying for regulation and force.

I, on the other hand, am professing a concern. And apparently that makes me some sort of idiot. Yet again this Libtard world earns its suffix.

It also leads to the question being turned right back at you. Social media companies - and media companies - are private and can decide who is or is not admitted onto, or whose opinions appear on their platforms. But the same applies to their users who may agree, or not, or read, or not, or use, or not, their platforms. Why do they need "protection"?

Last edited:

Trainwreck

And why exactly do the people who make my toothpaste feel the need to influence the nature of opinions expressed on social media?

The_SR

How many print publications have failed in the last twenty years as a result of the web and online advertising taking their markets? Ever heard of Craigslist?
Thats a site you go to to look for ads. The rest of us are talking about pop ups and suchlike.i dont log onto facebook for the ads

Watcher2

And why exactly do the people who make my toothpaste feel the need to influence the nature of opinions expressed on social media?
It's likely shareholders attempting to make the company accountable for ethical decision making.

GDPR

Where did I state any media business has an obligation to provide a platform for anybody's opinion?

You Libtards, just keep teeing up the strawmen and I'll keep driving them down the range. And everyone will keep observing how you have nothing germane to add to the discussion, except irrelevant crap.
Its not censorship if Chanel decides they dont want their perfume advertised on Youtube channels for children.

Its a business decision. You would know that if you lived in the real world instead of an alt-right internet bubble.

Black Swan

Indeed they can.

I said I have concerns when they all begin to tip in a particular direction and any semblance of balance is lost. We lose as a society.

Riddle me this. How rabid do you think the Ninths of this world would be right now if 90%+ of mainstream and social media were even balanced, let alone tilted towards and filtering in favour of Trump? You guessed it, they would be baying for regulation and force.

I, on the other hand, am professing a concern. And apparently that makes me some sort of idiot. Yet again this Libtard world earns its suffix.
I used to think that posters like you were comedians or trolls, but after spending some time on forums like this one, I have come to realise that you are genuinely demented individuals.

It's very sad to witness, because you're clearly not stupid.

jmcc

Thats a site you go to to look for ads. The rest of us are talking about pop ups and suchlike.i dont log onto facebook for the ads
Craigslist and similar are representative of how the nature of advertising has changed and how much of it has shifted online. It is a relatively simple argument in that online advertising is gradually overtaking print advertising and other forms of advertising with more precisely targeted (behavioural targeting) advertising that is generally more economical for the advertisers and more efficient at targeting the users.

Trainwreck

People who want to live in a Libtard bubble.

You lot are truly moronic.

Me: "let opinions be aired and let people read them and make up their own minds"

You: "let opinions be filtered - to strip out the things I disagree with".

And I am the one who "lives in an alt-right bubble", and "demented". These types of posts do nothing to convince me that I am not thinking rationally and considering a balance of views and information.

Its not censorship if Chanel decides they dont want their perfume advertised on Youtube channels for children.

Its a business decision. You would know that if you lived in the real world instead of an alt-right internet bubble.
I used to think that posters like you were comedians or trolls, but after spending some time on forums like this one, I have come to realise that you are genuinely demented individuals.

It's very sad to witness, because you're clearly not stupid.

GDPR

Me: "let opinions be aired and let people read them and make up their own minds"

And I am the one who "lives in an alt-right bubble", and "demented". These types of posts do nothing to convince me that I am not thinking rationally and considering a balance of views and information.
How does it breach anyone's right to freedom of expression if a business decides they do not want to place advertising on their website or channel?

There is no right to have your website or channel or blog financed by advertisers. They cannot be compelled to do so.

jmcc

There's a good book (The Filter Bubble) on how some of the major sites like Google and Facebook increasingly show you results based on your social network and the sites you use. It is worth reading.

Surkov

Let's say Chinese interests acquire in part or in whole one such 'platform'. Or if the CIA, or whomever, infiltrates such a platform, or even just key elements within a media platform. Let's be adults and agree that such things happen. Let these corporate entities make their decisions, but let there be be exposure as to who makes the decisions, let us know the backgrounds of those men involved. Who are the 'private' interests behind these 'private' corporations? What are their political affiliations? Or do you theorise that all corporations are somehow neutral or devoid of human direction? Not on your nelly.

jmcc

Let's say Chinese interests acquire in part or in whole one such 'platform'. Or if the CIA, or whomever, infiltrates such a platform, or even just key elements within a media platform. Let's be adults and agree that such things happen. Let these corporate entities make their decisions, but let be be exposure as to who makes the decisions, let us know the backgrounds of those men involved. Who are the 'private' interests behind these 'private' corporations? What are their political affiliations? Or do you theorise that all corporations are somehow neutral or devoid of human direction? Not on your nelly.
Wonder what would happen if people on the thread knew that CIA invested in Facebook. :)

The_SR

How is making a decision where you advertise impacting your freedom of speech?

I think you have been sniffing some of their products

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies