household goods giant Unilever threatens to pull ads from online platforms which "create division"

The_SR

Nobody is defending unilever as a company or the mega corporations as a rule.

But the idea they are anti racist activists rather than soap salesmen is interesting. And by interesting i of course mean arsegravy

GDPR

Nobody is defending unilever as a company or the mega corporations as a rule.

But the idea they are anti racist activists rather than soap salesmen is interesting. And by interesting i of course mean arsegravy
Which tells you just how dirty the alt-right is ... (pun intended).

Mercurial

Unilever has threatened to withdraw its advertising from online platforms such as Facebook and Google if they fail to protect children, promote hate or create division in society.

I don't think the "fake news" thing is going away, so while Unilever's comments in that regard are important, what I was more struck by was the comment below:

SO, with advertising revenue being one of the main drivers of free digital platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and on a much smaller scale P.ie is the online advertising model about to end?
Here's hoping.

Civic_critic2

It's likely shareholders attempting to make the company accountable for ethical decision making.
It's more likely the Freemasons at the top of Unilever have decided now is the time to move against free speech online using the subterfuge and resources available to them to squeeze it. Just as former Unilever Niall Fitzgerald gave a glowing tribute to Bilderberger Sutherland and spoke about how they used to sit watching the rugby. Two freemasons if ever there were some I'd say...

And no that's not a conspiracy theory, it's actually the way the world works. These people across the corporate and political board are clearly moving to begin serious restrictions of the internet as they face growing challenge, with our own versions being pushed here by the latter-day little Francoists we have in the form of James Lawless and his rank efforts to legislate for censorship.

The_SR

So why have they started with the alt right as opposed to say the green movement or hard left.

And wgy are tgey taking on google and facebook?

Follower

Unilever has threatened to withdraw its advertising from online platforms such as Facebook and Google if they fail to protect children, promote hate or create division in society.

I don't think the "fake news" thing is going away, so while Unilever's comments in that regard are important, what I was more struck by was the comment below:

SO, with advertising revenue being one of the main drivers of free digital platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and on a much smaller scale P.ie is the online advertising model about to end?
Moral high-ground from the Multi National whose subsidiary attempted to off-load tonnes of unwanted baby formula into underdeveloped African countries in the 90s which excerbated malnutrition. :roll:

Watcher2

Let's say Chinese interests acquire in part or in whole one such 'platform'. Or if the CIA, or whomever, infiltrates such a platform, or even just key elements within a media platform. Let's be adults and agree that such things happen. Let these corporate entities make their decisions, but let there be be exposure as to who makes the decisions, let us know the backgrounds of those men involved. Who are the 'private' interests behind these 'private' corporations? What are their political affiliations? Or do you theorise that all corporations are somehow neutral or devoid of human direction? Not on your nelly.
All that information is out there from the membership of the executive committees, the board of directors and the major shareholders. This sounds like something in the corporate governance space. You could check out the last proxy statement.

stopdoingstuff

They will switch message if this move hurts their bottom line or the winds change. Corporations, like any established center of power, are not our friends no matter how much they try to act that way. At least with the activists, there is an outside chance of them believing what they say.

ShoutingIsLeadership

They will switch message if this move hurts their bottom line or the winds change. Corporations, like any established center of power, are not our friends no matter how much they try to act that way. At least with the activists, there is an outside chance of them believing what they say.
All part of the spin cycle

Half Nelson

Hands up all who have ever made a purchase because of some ad that popped up online.
?

Mick Mac

It's a marketing exercise and it's also a contribution to not fund people who say immigration is being driven by those who want to keep wages low.

Entities like, oh I don't know, Unilever?

But this way they get to take the malleable progressives who know nothing about Marxism and train them to believe that being "left" wing means buying Unilever products, supporting mark Zuckerberg, keeping labor cheap and endlessly blathering about diversity.

It's the most patent rise of all times and the progressive movement can't see it because they don't know what the f Marx is about.

Dame_Enda

You can be sure "create division" will be used to target conservatives and probably not liberals. That has been the experience with Facebook. I sent in a complaint to FB a few years ago about a post planning a leftwing riot in Dublin and they replied that they werent taking it down, though they understood where Im coming from.

HenryHorace

Seems to be the norm nowadays on American TV... watch anything and the adverts have a very large bias that if it were the other way around would cause mayhem...But these are the PC times we live in.
Agree 100%. The narrative is that middle aged white men are all rapists, pedos or evil in some way.

Mick Mac

Agree 100%. The narrative is that middle aged white men are all rapists, pedos or evil in some way.
But imagine if they weren't the target !

Why then progressives would not be able to enjoy all the privilege that the establishment provides while just tweeting about the male patriarchy.

Imagine having to look at a working class animal, sorry cis White, and say I'm supposed to fight for you rather than tell everyone how offended I am by something you didn't do.

Back to the 80s.

The_SR

You can be sure "create division" will be used to target conservatives and probably not liberals. That has been the experience with Facebook. I sent in a complaint to FB a few years ago about a post planning a leftwing riot in Dublin and they replied that they werent taking it down, though they understood where Im coming from.
Whatever about FB, and they are accused of leaving right wing and islamic wingnut stuff up too, why would a large mnc target conservatives over 'liberals' (whatever they are in an irish context).

This conspiracy doesnt make sense.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies