• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Household Scam

Sync

One thing's for sure, if actual public/civil servants were doing this job, it wouldn't have happened.
Explain how you're sure of that. Have you worked for the civil service with credit card management in the past? HAve you observed that the controls are different in public/private CC centres? Have you run or investigated this sort of area in the past? How are you "sure" that an individual civil servant isn't as likely to allegedly break the law as an individual private employee?

Or are you just spouting rubbish?

Lonewolfe

lol, I'd be more worried of the gardai getting the credit card numbers :D
Now,now. The vast majority of Gardai are excellent, trustworthy public servants imo.

I never heard anyone complain about the Gardia until I came onto p.ie;)

Franzoni

Not surprised TBH

EvotingMachine0197

Not much either Abtran or Revenue could have done about this if he wasn't detected on a pre-employment background check/Garda vetting.

So my question would be - are Revenue sub-contractors Garda vetted? But even if they are, there's no guarantee that this kind of stuff can be prevented.

D

Dylan2010

Now,now. The vast majority of Gardai are excellent, trustworthy public servants imo.

I never heard anyone complain about the Gardia until I came onto p.ie;)
but your standard is 100% no fraud? and the evidence lockers of late would prove your case wrong. If anything the comapny handled it quite well and didnt cover it up so the clown involved might just as easily been taken on by the revenue if they had to ramp up a call centre quickly.

Lonewolfe

Explain how you're sure of that. Have you worked for the civil service with credit card management in the past?
As a matter of fact, yes! ;)

are you "sure" that an individual civil servant isn't as likely to allegedly break the law as an individual private employee?
More accountability, more checks and balances and of course ... more to lose.

are you just spouting rubbish?
Calm down and stay on topic Syncy winky, you're lowering the tone of the place :lol:

Last edited:
D

Dylan2010

OP, so fraud is impossible in the civil service ?

Sacked civil servant pocketed welfare cash - Independent.ie

The employee was found to be in breach of department rules on 13 occasions, according to information released under the Freedom of Information Act.

The fraud was uncovered last year during a probe that found a number of irregularities. She met with senior department officials in September 2011, where she was informed that she was suspected of mishandling taxpayers' money and breaching department guidelines.

Stress

When confronted about one aspect of the fraud, which saw her continue to award welfare benefits to a relative who was out of the country, the employee had claimed she was "not thinking properly". On another occasion she blamed the "stress of Christmas time" for submitting forms without the proper authorisation.

The most serious issue was the diversion of a person's jobseeker's allowance payments into her own back account.

This was done "without his knowledge and for a period when he was not entitled to payment as he was outside the State", the report states.

After being told that the incidents were considered a "serious misconduct" the employee was sacked in March.

Aindriu

lol, I'd be more worried of the gardai getting the credit card numbers :D
Especially those out in Balbriggan with their gambling debts.

damus

Not much either Abtran or Revenue could have done about this if he wasn't detected on a pre-employment background check/Garda vetting.

So my question would be - are Revenue sub-contractors Garda vetted? But even if they are, there's no guarantee that this kind of stuff can be prevented.
Have a search on the data protection register for Abtran Ltd Reg No. 4596/A. There's no detail on the reasons why data is being collected, held or processed by this company.

sic transit

Have a search on the data protection register for Abtran Ltd Reg No. 4596/A. There's no detail on the reasons why data is being collected, held or processed by this company.
Aren't they just a call centre company manning a helpline?

damus

Aren't they just a call centre company manning a helpline?
They have to register setting out certain details as to the reasons why they're collecting, holding and processing our personal data and while they are registered there's zero detail on that score.

Sync

[/QUOTE]
More accountability, more checks and balances and of course ... more to lose.

[/QUOTE] are you just spouting rubbish?[/QUOTE]

Calm down and stay on topic Syncy winky, you're lowering the tone of the place :lol:[/QUOTE]

There's no OP at all outside your baseless claim that it would have been impossible for this to occur under public sector review. So now the thread will descend into people highlighting examples of fraud from the public sector.

sic transit

They have to register setting out certain details as to the reasons why they're collecting, holding and processing our personal data and while they are registered there's zero detail on that score.
One would assume that they have access to data from Revenue rather doing their own thing and that they are functioning as "agents" of Revenue.