• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Housing Charity wants CIF banned from NAMA discussions

yehbut_nobut

Call for Nama ban on developers - The Irish Times - Tue, Sep 15, 2009

The State's largest housing charity today demanded top builders and developers be kept out of consultations on the State’s bad bank scheme.

The Respond group said representatives from the Construction Industry Federation (CIF) should be barred from Nama discussions because they would only promote their members’ interests.

“We have witnessed a massive push in the past week by certain developers and the CIF to influence politicians with regard to the legislation establishing Nama,” Respond spokeswoman Aoife Walsh said.

"In the role the CIF and its members played in the current economic crisis, this is simply unacceptable.”

yehbut_nobut

good point. Country Tom and his cronies should be told where to go.
That's not what he thinks:

The CIF, whose director general Tom Parlon last week expressed keenness to make an input on Nama, dismissed Respond’s calls as extremely short-sighted.
“The industry has a key role to play in the workout being proposed by Nama and in the longer-term development and growth of the economy,” a spokesman said.

Raketemensch

You mean the State's largest housing charity and the Construction Industry Federation both think that the developers have something to gain from NAMA? That just cannot be true, Hal and Goosebump told us so:rolleyes:

cactusflower

Parlon shouldn't be let near: he's not a developer. The idea that Government has not consulted with developers on NAMA is deeply worrying. All of the development professions should be consulted. They will without a doubt identify flaws and disfunctionalities in the NAMA procees as proposed. This doesn't mean they should be given an inch.

The reason the Evoting Machine fiasco happened was because Government didn't listen to the people in Ireland who were telling them what the problems were and instead paid millions to consultants who of course messed up.

cactusflower

But FF = CIF , so ?

Yes, I wouldn't have the CIF in. I'd get the developers in in person and make them sweat over the Bill and thrash it out in groups, to find the flaws and catches in it that will stop it working. I wouldn't pay them and I wouldn't give them any concessions.

I'm in dread with the expensive hames FF is going to make of this - just think of the Tribunals - they were straightforward in comparison with this.

To be honest, I'm beginning to think a straightforward developer bailout (interest holiday for up to four years say) would have been much cheaper than NAMA. The State has an appalling record in land management - Coillte, the IDA, the OPW you name it.

seenitallb4

They don't need to be involved- they can just call their mates and head for a pint.

He3

By the same logic corporations should be banned from campaigning for change to our Constitution.

Hal

“The Respond group said representatives from the Construction Industry Federation (CIF) should be barred from Nama discussions because they would only promote their members’ interests.
“We have witnessed a massive push in the past week by certain developers and the CIF to influence politicians with regard to the legislation establishing Nama,” Respond spokeswoman Aoife Walsh said.
"In the role the CIF and its members played in the current economic crisis, this is simply unacceptable.”

What politicians were involved? Who from the CIF was involved? Where did these meetings take place? When did these meetings take place? Where was the massive rush to?

Raketemensch

“The Respond group said representatives from the Construction Industry Federation (CIF) should be barred from Nama discussions because they would only promote their members’ interests.

What politicians were involved? Who from the CIF was involved? Where did these meetings take place? When did these meetings take place? Where was the massive rush to?
Just one example I'm aware of myself, they probably heard Tom Parlon on Eamonn Keane last week boasting about how he consulted his lawyers on NAMA before he went to meet with government ministers about the plan.

mandygall

Hi all - I apologise for taking 5 years to make a comment on this thread! I am only new to politics.ie and I came across this very interesting chat. I would like your views on hoe CIF have just been enshrined in our laws - hold a dominant position in the construction sector - are still self regulated - while at the same time have managed to convince the Government to erase self building! These new laws are the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014 (S.I.9.). SCANDAL ALERT!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies