Housing crisis can be fixed overnight but the government refuses to implement the most obvious solution.

bokuden

So all landlords are Blueshirts argument ?

Who was calling for HAP to be increased ?

Yes, you guessed it - SF IRA Fianna FAIL and Solidarity
I'd say most FGers are property owners, indeed. And considering the fact that FG/Labour created/institued the HAP AND reinflated rents to outrageous levels, then SF were being responsible in calling for a raise in the HAP. It doesn't take away from the fact that HAP has been a disaster for all except landlords.

Man or Mouse

Good for you!

Except (just to point it out), you could downsize now, stick the difference in the bank, invest in the stock market, buy gold bullion, whatever you choose and your heirs would still inherit the proceeds upon your demise (in 70 or 80 years :p). Holding on to your under-occupied house is not a barrier to this.
For some reason unknown to us mere mortals, women don't buy that view.

bokuden

You gotta love FG-ers - always happy to tell you what to do with your own money.

Meanwhile, of course, FG in government are sitting in about 10k under-utilized social houses in the GDA and are doing nothing to re-allocate the tax payers assets.

Governments could lad my example, maybe?
Absolutely: here's a few quid in tax back: now off you go to spend a packet on private healthcare/waste disposal/rent/transport etc as we have let these 'markets' go bananas.

Man or Mouse

So all landlords are Blueshirts argument ?

Who was calling for HAP to be increased ?

Yes, you guessed it - SF IRA Fianna FAIL and Solidarity
HAP is a bummer. My lad, whose salary is over the threshold had to pay more for a house, even though a FTB because of it's existence.

pedagogus

Good for you!

Except (just to point it out), you could downsize now, stick the difference in the bank, invest in the stock market, buy gold bullion, whatever you choose and your heirs would still inherit the proceeds upon your demise (in 70 or 80 years :p). Holding on to your under-occupied house is not a barrier to this.
That is true but not attractive to us. I like the fact that I can cycle out of my estate head uphill(very uphill) and head to Laaragh via Sally Gap and four hours later pedal in to a green and pleasant estate. This isn't about money. I feel I deserve it. I did forty two years teaching missing a total of eight days of which four related to my kids rather than me.

HarshBuzz

That is true but not attractive to us. I like the fact that I can cycle out of my estate head uphill(very uphill) and head to Laaragh via Sally Gap and four hours later pedal in to a green and pleasant estate. This isn't about money. I feel I deserve it. I did forty two years teaching missing a total of eight days of which four related to my kids rather than me.
That is a perfectly valid choice.

I wonder if attractive, well-designed apartments were available in your area - would downsizing be an option you would ever consider?

Disillusioned democrat

HAP is a bummer. My lad, whose salary is over the threshold had to pay more for a house, even though a FTB because of it's existence.
HAP is bizarre - your son's tax is driving up the price he has to pay for rent himself and making it harder to save a deposit to avail of any FTB grant...meanwhile the landlords and developers are very much back in Tiger economy space.

Franzoni

Good for you!

The other side of that is it's a gamble and your chizellers could be left without a chair when the music stops...

Having a three or four bed house in a good area especially one in a suburb of Dublin that normally have a good sized garden and side access to go with it, surrounded by the infrastructure such as schools and hospitals during uncertain times in global politics and domestic economics has it's own advantages ....not the least of which is it's primary function and not it's monetary value....

Last edited:

HenryHorace

This is now beyond a crisis. FG have been in power since 2011 and have failed to address the issue. Time for an election and kick them out.

hammer

The other side of that is it's a gamble and your chizellers could be left without a chair when the music stops...

Having a three or four bed house in a good area especially one in a suburb of Dublin that normally have a good sized garden and side access to go with it, surrounded by the infrastructure such as schools and hospitals during uncertain times in global politics and domestic economics has it's own advantages ....not the least of which is it's primary function and not it's monetary value....
Many children wouldn`t move back to these areas anyway and it gets complicated when one kid wants to buy out the others.

hammer

This is now beyond a crisis. FG have been in power since 2011 and have failed to address the issue. Time for an election and kick them out.
Two chances.

FG will sort this far better than any combination of Fianna Sinn FAIL Fein IRA Solidarity :)

Franzoni

Many children wouldn't move back to these areas anyway .
Not that i can see for those who had the opportunity.....are you seriously suggesting that a young family wouldn't like to live in a settled area with plenty of infrastructure such as schools,hospitals and public transport given the opportunity instead of a two hour commute to work and back in the evenings....?.......some might think you had an agenda with such a comment....

It gets complicated when one kid wants to buy out the others
Like everything else in life it depends on the situation and the people involved....

Disillusioned democrat

The very first thing you have to realise is how successful FG have been in driving UP the cost of housing - buying, renting and emergency accommodation.

FF were but amateurs inflating the bubble - Fg have found a way to keep it inflated - HAP, RA, FTB, keep 10k homeless to scare the crap out of people who think 50% of their disposable income is too high a price, etc., etc.

FG's support base - the sociopaths likes shammer, HarshBuzz,, HBAP, etc., are all delighted because they believe they benefiting and maybe they are, but ultimately we're all going to be losers.

Disillusioned democrat

Not that i can see for those who had the opportunity.....are you seriously suggesting that a young family wouldn't like to live in a settled area with plenty of infrastructure such as schools,hospitals and public transport given the opportunity instead of a two hour commute to work and back in the evenings....?.......some might think you had an agenda with such a comment....

Like everything else in life it depends on the situation and the people involved....

Text book FG - they always know what's best for other people

hammer

Thats why I used the term "MANY"

In our case the area had good infrastructure but when someones parent is 80+ the chances are someone in there late 40s and my 6 kids are too old to move back.

It might be an option for my eldest kids though in 5/6 years.

So age profile IMPORTANT.

Get it :)

PAGE61

That is a perfectly valid choice.

I wonder if attractive, well-designed apartments were available in your area - would downsizing be an option you would ever consider?
Why should there be an onus on people to downsize because they have reached a certain age. .

hammer

FG's support base - the sociopaths likes shammer, HarshBuzz,, HBAP, etc., are all delighted because they believe they benefiting and maybe they are, but ultimately we're all going to be losers.
Even Blueshirts have kids who are trying to buy privately.

Madness, they should just wait for a nice social house in a good location.

Franzoni

Why should there be an onus on people to downsize because they have reached a certain age. .
There isn't...many do to free up equity in their home....and with the pension situation we may well see people cashing in like in the UK before they die to help their kids,pay nursing home charges or lifestyle choices...

The thing is these sort of houses in urban suburbs especially in Dublin will be priced out of the reach or sold to large companies who specialize in the rental market or used as Air BnB etc...because it seems no one in DCC or the government gives a flying fook.....

With a increasingly likely hard Brexit on the horizon it could be a goldmine down the road if British companies start relocating here....one house in D8 a few doors down from some good friends of mine is currently on the market for 4k a month.....

hammer

New CSO figures show that planning permission was granted for 8,405 houses and apartments during the first quarter of this year — up by almost 81% on the 4,650 approvals granted during the same period last year.

“The jump... shows that activity in the construction sector is clearly now ramping up aggressively. It is worth remembering, however, that activity is still at exceptionally depressed levels,” said Davy Stockbrokers’ chief economist Conall Mac Coille.

Although some planning permissions may never come to fruition — and there is clearly a lag to activity — the pick-up clearly suggests that housing completions will increase from the 14,446 recorded in 2017; still well short of natural demographic housing demand of at least 35,000 units,” he said.

This needs to be looked at also................

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies