How About Ending Hidden BIK Perks For Our Public Servants

General Urko

Along with obscene wages (e.g. planners on €60K plus per year, when it's a €30K Job), obscene pensions paid for by the rest of us. most of whom will only have the state old age pension and will have to wait until 70 for it, while these beauts retire in their 50s and 60s and perks such as unvouched for sick days fully paid and massive maternity leave, our public service class have hidden BIK benefits such as in Galway City, council staff can park in the central work car park as they wish andwhenever (a bonus worth, probably up to €2k) and council staff appear to use council vans whenever (are there not insurance implications).
When will they be taxed as appropriately for these clear but hidden benefits?
Also I would imagine generous milleage allowances would need to be looked at!
I was told a few years ago one ESB chap could on occassion pay his monthly mortgage payment from his milleage!
End the Apartheid and possibly start by tackling this albeit small obscenity relative to the rest of what they are slying away with!

Mushroom

Instead of grumbling, why don't you clamber onto the PS bandwagon? As is abundantly clear from many posts on this forum, the PS recruits mainly idiots, so you'd be a shoo-in!

You can't beat 'em, so why not join 'em?

Along with obscene wages (e.g. planners on €60K plus per year, when it's a €30K Job), obscene pensions paid for by the rest of us. most of whom will only have the state old age pension and will have to wait until 70 for it, while these beauts retire in their 50s and 60s and perks such as unvouched for sick days fully paid and massive maternity leave, our public service class have hidden BIK benefits such as in Galway City, council staff can park in the central work car park as they wish andwhenever (a bonus worth, probably up to €2k) and council staff appear to use council vans whenever (are there not insurance implications).
I was told a few years ago one ESB chap could on occassion pay his monthly mortgage payment from his milleage!
End the Apartheid and possibly start by tackling this albeit small obscenity relative to the rest of what they are slying away with!
The ESB thing sounds like crap. If you're raising a central mileage as part of your job they just provide a vehicle and fuel, tax and insure it. It's now part of your job and no longer a perk.The car park opposite HO (the park known as Fault Towers to the staff) became a taxable perk.

General Urko

Instead of grumbling, why don't you clamber onto the PS bandwagon? As is abundantly clear from many posts on this forum, the PS recruits mainly idiots, so you'd be a shoo-in!

You can't beat 'em, so why not join 'em?
Why not take a socially reponsible attitude and not be leeching and not be a pig at the trough and let public sector workers go to their unions and demand equality for the citizens they are supposedly serving!
Yeah OK the nurses sometimes pretend to do it and they get massive pay rises and all is forgotten!

General Urko

The ESB thing sounds like crap. If you're raising a central mileage as part of your job they just provide a vehicle and fuel, tax and insure it. It's now part of your job and no longer a perk.The car park opposite HO (the park known as Fault Towers to the staff) became a taxable perk.
It may be taxable for everyone else alright!

Hitchcock

Along with obscene wages (e.g. planners on €60K plus per year, when it's a €30K Job),
Many many public sector workers are on 21K yey you make no mention of it....your post is reminiscent of the SINDO campaign against the PS after the crash.

Even if it were true which I sincerely doubt, who's to say this is widespread?

Mushroom

Why not take a socially reponsible attitude and not be leeching and not be a pig at the trough and let public sector workers go to their unions and demand equality for the citizens they are supposedly serving!
Yeah OK the nurses sometimes pretend to do it and they get massive pay rises and all is forgotten!
I enjoyed getting the odd bit of mileage and the occasional overnight. Although I hated flying to Brussels and back - up before 5 in the morning for the redeye flight, then a long day of briefings, pre-meetings and meetings, interspersed with countless cups of crap coffee; then hanging around Zaventem for hours and not back home until almost midnight. A complete pain in the arse - and for only a few euros of subsistence.

But it probably looks very glamorous from the outside.

General Urko

Many many public sector workers are on 21K yey you make no mention of it....your post is reminiscent of the SINDO campaign against the PS after the crash.

Even if it were true which I sincerely doubt, who's to say this is widespread?
I wouldn't have a go at low paid PS workers, which are in an extreme minority, but they would also enjoy perks and benefits!
Of course has been proven the brave men and women in The Gardaí who recently threatened an illegal strike for more money were not actually starting on the reported €23K and in fact the average in the force was IIRC €65K!

General Urko

I enjoyed getting the odd bit of mileage and the occasional overnight. Although I hated flying to Brussels and back - up before 5 in the morning for the redeye flight, then a long day of briefings, pre-meetings and meetings, interspersed with countless cups of crap coffee; then hanging around Zaventem for hours and not back home until almost midnight. A complete pain in the arse - and for only a few euros of subsistence.

But it probably looks very glamorous from the outside.
I suppose the public sector will be extremely slow to adopt conference calls and other technological advances which will make Jollies a thing of the past!

Mushroom

I wouldn't have a go at low paid PS workers, which are in an extreme minority, but they would also enjoy perks and benefits!
Of course has been proven the brave men and women in The Gardaí who recently threatened an illegal strike for more money were not actually starting on the reported €23K and in fact the average in the force was IIRC €65K!

On second thoughts, don't bother applying for that PS job.

It's very clear from the above post that you are exceptionally stupid so you wouldn't even get through pre-selection.

General Urko

On second thoughts, don't bother applying for that PS job.

It's very clear from the above post that you are exceptionally stupid so you wouldn't even get through pre-selection.
That may be so, but how is it evidenced from that particar post?:rolleyes:

Could you please use full stops? Your use of exclamation marks is extremely irritating and a consistent repeated grammatical error.

General Urko

Could you please use full stops? Your use of exclamation marks is extremely irritating and a consistent repeated grammatical error.
Pedant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mushroom

That may be so, but how is it evidenced from that particar post?:rolleyes:
Two glaring factual errors plus comprehensive evidence that you don't understand simple statistics.

General Urko

Two glaring factual errors plus comprehensive evidence that you don't understand simple statistics.
I'm actually extremely numerate! The stats on the €65K average pay excluding perks throughout the force came from The CSO! Starting pay for them excluding perks is a minimum €28K, the €23K figure, was just nonsense spread to misinform!

Pedant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not at all; I just care care about the written word. The exclamation mark invokes an undue degree of emphasis and is akin to shouting. It's impolite.

Mushroom

I'm actually extremely numerate! The stats on the €65K average pay excluding perks throughout the force came from The CSO! Starting pay for them excluding perks is a minimum €28K, the €23K figure, was just nonsense spread to misinform!
Oh dear! The depth and extent of your ignorance is quite staggering!

I urge you to do some research into what the starting pay for a new garda was in 2012. You'll find it in the answers given to countless PQs by the then Minister for Justice, Alan Shatter - but perhaps he too was spreading misinformation!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies