how are people coping with the results?

jackdonny9876

was out around south Dublin today, while there was the predictable college kids celebrating at the pub the general mood on peoples' faces were that of subtle melancholy, they didn't look proud more like guilt, anyone else get the same experience or just me? from your experience how are people handling it around the country?

Dame_Enda

I assume you meant to say "how". I am coping fine. I am not celebratory in mood but not negative either. Im waiting to see how the legislation will work out and whether something we havent heard of yet will be included to address concerns.

jackdonny9876

just curious what the general atmosphere is in different parts of the country not just whats getting shown on the media

gerhard dengler

was out around south Dublin today, while there was the predictable college kids celebrating at the pub the general mood on peoples' faces were that of subtle melancholy, they didn't look proud more like guilt, anyone else get the same experience or just me? from your experience how are people handling it around the country?
I've spent 9.00am to 1.00pm at the count centre. The body language in there, was what it was.
Our side were down naturally, but the other side weren't triumphant. There was no friction actually between supporters from opposite side at the centre. I actually spoke to some from the other side and it was polite.

The mood generally around this part of Dublin? Difficult to read body language, but people just looked like they were going about their business.

I'm at the Aviva at the Pro14 final. Good to get away from the referendum navel glazing for a couple of hours.

Hitchcock

I'm not sure how you could read that, I sincerely given the overwhelming strength of the vote that 'guilt' would be in any way a significant factor TBH.

ruserious

As a No voter, very well. I'm delighted that Yes got a landslide if it were to win at all. At least the mandate is clear. And now the government has the opportunity to make haste with enacting legislation to protect vulnerable mothers who have been termed hard cases.

man-in-street

Twitter
n/a
As a No voter, very well. I'm delighted that Yes got a landslide if it were to win at all. At least the mandate is clear. And now the government has the opportunity to make haste with enacting legislation to protect vulnerable mothers who have been termed hard cases.
If you think that this government will legislate just for "hard cases" you haven't been paying attention.

venusian

I don't know what part of Dublin you were in I wandered into Dublin castle and afterwards strolled around central Dublin, but all I seen was sincere joy on peoples faces apart from obviously the No campaigners.

crossman

I voted yes but I don't like the celebratory tone. it was just the lesser of two evils - just means abortions here instead of in England and no abortion is a cause for celebration.

GDPR

I don't know what part of Dublin you were in I wandered into Dublin castle and afterwards strolled around central Dublin, but all I seen was sincere joy on peoples faces apart from obviously the No campaigners.
Dumb animals celebrating their own slaughter. Rapists and abusers will be over the moon.

ruserious

I voted yes but I don't like the celebratory tone. it was just the lesser of two evils - just means abortions here instead of in England and no abortion is a cause for celebration.
Yes, it came across as an issue that some women wanted to cheer to symbolise their equality. The 'gays' (rightly) got theirs in 2015 and it looks like some of the feminists felt left out.

ionsniffer

I don't think these people understand the seriousness of what they voted yes for.
Plus the fact the government will put the lives of women in danger due to in competence, lack of resources for those seeking and going through terminations etc.

GDPR

Yes, it came across as an issue that some women wanted to cheer to symbolise their equality. The 'gays' (rightly) for theirs in 2015 and it looks like some of the feminists felt left out.
And yet most of these dumb bitches will still have to go to some crappy job on Monday morning and have to pay an outrageously inflated rent or mortgage to keep a roof over their heads.

Spirit Of Newgrange

People (male and female ) with problem pregnancies will cope. Religious fundamentalists will need to cope with being yesterday's Power in the Republic.

Last edited:

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Re: OP.

Are you a woman in a situation where you have a decision to make?

Coping?

Ohhh ohhh coping sir?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Dumb animals celebrating their own slaughter. Rapists and abusers will be over the moon.
You really have to explain that to me. You show a picture of predominately young women you refer to as animals. Seriously TG you are going to stand over that to your wife and daughter or are you saying our family are only animals. Explain TG.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I don't think these people understand the seriousness of what they voted yes for.
Plus the fact the government will put the lives of women in danger due to in competence, lack of resources for those seeking and going through terminations etc.
And your solution is.........for someone who does not agree with you is.....?

Schmetterling

I voted yes, voted no 35 years ago and didn't change my opinion in the intervening years. But it doesn't mean that I find anything to celebrate today. I strongly feel every woman should be able to make that decision for themselves, given their own unique situation and shouldn't have to travel to do so. I'm very uncomfortable though with the singing and chanting and cheering I've seen today. Every abortion is a tragedy, I don't believe many woman make that decision lightly and I don't believe any celebrate it. I doubt many of the young women singing and celebrating today have actually had to make that decision – if they had I doubt they would be singing now.

amist4

People (male and female ) with problem pregnancies will cope. Religious fundamentalists will need to cope with being yesterday's Power in the Republic.
Where have you been for the last two decades?

Most Replies