How Bad is "Bad Fellahs"?

onlyasking

I've stumbled upon a few bits and pieces of the "Bad Fellahs" series on RTE. Apparently, gangland Ireland was kicked off by Saor Eire, and the Provos put the rest in place.

I wonder which paramilitary groups got gangland crime going in Britain, Italy, the USA and elsewhere.

Brendan Halligan was on at the end tonight. Of course it was all the fault of the Provos. Nothing to do with the exponential rise in drug use during the 70s and 80s.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Halligan was a senator when 33 civilians were murdered on the streets of Dublin and Monaghan within one hour in 1974. What did his FG/ Labour coalition do about the "Bad Fellahs" in that case? They allowed the winding up of the Garda investigation into the biggest mass-murder in the history of the state, within A FEW WEEKS.

Would any other government in Europe have allowed a cover-up of their state's worst mass-murder, when much evidence suggested the hand of a foreign security apparatus? Would any single murder investigation be wound up after a few weeks?

Bad Fellahs indeed.

Funnily enough I also stumbled upon an infinitely more informative item about those years on Marian Finucane's show last Saturday. She carried out an extensive interview with John McGroarty, Retired Detective Chief Superintendent, An Garda Siochana and former head of the Drug Squad. As far as I can remember, when he was covering that period, of which he knows more than the vast majority of interviewees on Bad Fellahs, he made little or no mention of any paramilitaries.

I suppose autistic-obsessive get-the-shinners 'producer' Gerry Gregg wasn't producing that programme, so it wasn't a pile of garbage from a good propagandist buddy of Eoghan Harris.

mr. jings

Funnily enough I also stumbled upon an infinitely more informative item about those years on Marian Finucane's show last Saturday. She carried out an extensive interview with John McGroarty, Retired Detective Chief Superintendent, An Garda Siochana and former head of the Drug Squad. As far as I can remember, when he was covering that period, of which he knows more than the vast majority of interviewees on Bad Fellahs, he made little or no mention of any paramilitaries.

I suppose autistic-obsessive get-the-shinners 'producer' Gerry Gregg wasn't producing that programme, so it wasn't a pile of garbage from a good propagandist buddy of Eoghan Harris.
In fairness McGroarty was probably only on Marian because he was all over ep 02 of BF which covered drugs with a big emphasis on the heroin epidemic of the 80s in Dublin (ep 01 covered the legacy of paramilitary violence of the 70s).

Catalpa

I've stumbled upon a few bits and pieces of the "Bad Fellahs" series on RTE. Apparently, gangland Ireland was kicked off by Saor Eire, and the Provos put the rest in place.

I wonder which paramilitary groups got gangland crime going in Britain, Italy, the USA and elsewhere.

Brendan Halligan was on at the end tonight. Of course it was all the fault of the Provos. Nothing to do with the exponential rise in drug use during the 70s and 80s.

It shouldn't be forgotten that Halligan was a senator when 33 civilians were murdered on the streets of Dublin and Monaghan within one hour in 1974. What did his FG/ Labour coalition do about the "Bad Fellahs" in that case? They allowed the winding up of the Garda investigation into the biggest mass-murder in the history of the state, within A FEW WEEKS.

Would any other government in Europe have allowed a cover-up of their state's worst mass-murder, when much evidence suggested the hand of a foreign security apparatus? Would any single murder investigation be wound up after a few weeks?

Bad Fellahs indeed.

I watched the one on the Dunnes

They laid the blame fairly and squarely on that gang for flooding the North Inner City with cheap Heroin.

That was circa 1980/1982.

The Political Establishment didn't care and the Garda were told to ringfence it within the NIC and concentrate on smashing the Provos and such like who threatened the State's authority.

Even then I could see the Dunnes were just the start and would be knocked off their perch by far more ruthless and organized criminals.

When Larry Dunne was finally sent down he made a chilling bit all too true prediction:

If you think we're bad wait till you see what's coming after us...

And boy was he right!:evil:

Luigi Vampa

The actions of local authority management, and the Dept. of the Environment were shocking, from building 4000 houses with no social facilities of any type, "to keep the dept. happy with construction numbers that year" to employing a protection racket gangster to "prevent" vandalism.

Abacus

Thought 'Bad Fellas' was good overall. Lots of material for reflection.
Enjoyed Marian Finucane's interview with the exDrug Squad cop on Saturday too.
What experiences.

DCon

The actions of local authority management, and the Dept. of the Environment were shocking, from building 4000 houses with no social facilities of any type, "to keep the dept. happy with construction numbers that year" to employing a protection racket gangster to "prevent" vandalism.
M&A Kelly were good at the protection though.

We had an attempted break-in in a bar I worked at, when we were using M&A. Called the lads. They went away and came back half an hour later. Said they found the attempted burglar and he would not be bothering us again.

Heard one story where the lads were "protecting" a hardware store. The warehouse of the store was burgled. The owner called the lads. Ant'ny answered. When the owner said he had been robbed, Ant'ny said "************************, was that your shop? We'll drop them back in half an hour"..

fenian john

the provos also are the real reason the country is in recession and if they get there way they will force us all back to tatch cottages and give up our 2010 cars for a horse and cart. actually a horse is too much of a high end animal lets make it an ass and cart. oh them silly shinners and the ira they are the cause of all our woes......(shakes fist)

Abacus

Just thinking about that book 'SMACK' that was out years ago and it gave a great account of the drug dealers mostly in the Dublin area, I think. Anyone know if it is still in print or maybe Paul Williams should reissue it with some kind of an update on today's drug crime overlords ? It was a great read and I'm sure he made lots of money from it over the years ?

mr. jings

the provos also are the real reason the country is in recession
I think you're probably overstating it a little, but the deficits of the eighties probably wouldn't have been as big if we weren't shelling out 100s of millions of pounds a years on security: money which might have been better spent on hospitals, schools, infrastructure, tackling unemployment etc. There was arguably a huge opportunity cost to the State (unrecognised by the Provos at the time) and its citizens resulting from all the money spent as a consequence of paramilitary campaigns.

Oh wait, you were being ironic...

fool

Just thinking about that book 'SMACK' that was out years ago and it gave a great account of the drug dealers mostly in the Dublin area, I think. Anyone know if it is still in print or maybe Paul Williams should reissue it with some kind of an update on today's drug crime overlords ? It was a great read and I'm sure he made lots of money from it over the years ?
Smack is out of print, and as far as I know will remain so for legal reasons. You can still find it in decent second hand shops, but would normaly have to pay €15-20.

realistic1

I think you're probably overstating it a little, but the deficits of the eighties probably wouldn't have been as big if we weren't shelling out 100s of millions of pounds a years on security: money which might have been better spent on hospitals, schools, infrastructure, tackling unemployment etc. There was arguably a huge opportunity cost to the State (unrecognised by the Provos at the time) and its citizens resulting from all the money spent as a consequence of paramilitary campaigns.

Oh wait, you were being ironic...
Yeah there was soft money made in the 70s and 80s by the Gardai. My uncle a former Gardai said he often spent many a week in pubs watching 'bar stool republicans who were' singing rebel songs and cheering when news reports came in on the killing of Brithish soldiers. The Gardai knew these fellows were morons, who had little or no connections with the troubles in the north but they were getting soft overtime from it. This sort of carry on was going on all over the 26 counties, thats were the main money from the taxpayers was going.

Nordie Northsider

Whatever about 'Bad Fellas' I feel a bit of queasiness about the proliferation of drama docs about celebrated murders (or, as the barrel empties, increasingly obscure murders). RTÉ started the ball rolling over a decade ago with a harmless enough thing called Thou Shalt Not Kill. I say harmless because most of the cases were far enough back in time to have lost their sting. No one is going to get upset about Nurse Cradden, for example.
But the formula was there for cheap, lurid TV and so now we have re-enactments of killings as recent as a couple of years ago. How must relatives feel about this crappy tabloid TV?

White Rose

I thought the programme last night on Limerick was excellent, better than some of the previous shows which were way over the top

the Local Authority must take a major part of the responsibility for putting people in housing estates like South Hill and Moyross. What a mess it is now. The money must be found from somewhere to improve these areas

Anorakphobia

When Larry Dunne was finally sent down he made a chilling bit all too true prediction:

If you think we're bad wait till you see what's coming after us...

And boy was he right!:evil:
Listen.
When Jack Lynch was resigning he could and should have said the exact same.

The thieving corrupt scumbags that followed did 100 times more damage to this country than a hundred Martin Cahills and Marlo Hylands.

Abacus

Listen.
When Jack Lynch was resigning he could and should have said the exact same.

The thieving corrupt scumbags that followed did 100 times more damage to this country than a hundred Martin Cahills and Marlo Hylands.

OK but Jack L probably felt that the electorate would, in time, take care of the dishonest ones then hoving into view on the horizon. How bloody wrong they were.
It's a truism, is it not, that throughout human history, all mankind have been bedevilled by individuals who sought to manipulate others to their advantage. Most of them failed but some succeeded. We have had our share of that.

chriskavo

They should do an episode chronicling Seanie Fitzpatricks theft and destruction of the country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies