How bad is RTE?

Supermanpolitician

Just lsitening to the "wireless" which I think should be renamed "clueless" and much is made of RTE's new season. We still have Tubridy, Ryan and Kenny. On radio Kenny is someway competent, although a bit stiff on TV. Ryan has his style, which is obnoxious. But Does Tubridy have any redeeming talent at all apart from being a smart arsed big eared tool?

Such a lack of originality, I have never seen. Rare exceptions include the docu-drama about Neary, Q&A and the News. Everything else is old, stale and unimaginative.

fatcat

RTE concert orchestra is a great asset, playing tonight in NCH - free I think.

LowIQ

Supermanpolitician said:
a bit stiff on TV
A bit of an understatment.

Supermanpolitician said:
But Does Tubridy have any redeeming talent at all apart from being a smart arsed big eared tool?
I don't agree. He is not a bit smart.

LowIQ

fatcat said:
RTE concert orchestra is a great asset, playing tonight in NCH - free I think.
It's not free. It costs me €160, or a portion thereof, every year.

constitutionus

Supermanpolitician said:
Just lsitening to the "wireless" which I think should be renamed "clueless" and much is made of RTE's new season. We still have Tubridy, Ryan and Kenny. On radio Kenny is someway competent, although a bit stiff on TV. Ryan has his style, which is obnoxious. But Does Tubridy have any redeeming talent at all apart from being a smart arsed big eared tool?

Such a lack of originality, I have never seen. Rare exceptions include the docu-drama about Neary, Q&A and the News. Everything else is old, stale and unimaginative.
turgidys a crypto racist/bigot, ryan is lord haw haw reincarnated and the plank...... is ok on radio

TBH though i didnt see any real difference between them and the replacements they had when they were all off on holiers.

finucane is now a charicuture though. that said she seems to be the most clued in to whats happening in the real world out of the lot of em.

i'll be the first to admit ive taken the piss out of RTE but i'll admit they ARE capable of quality. unfortunetly it all seems to be in curent affairs show's like youve mentioned.

when it come to comedy, drama etc its like a first years acting class at trinity . as another poster said in another thread, they simply dont attract talant as "theyre not their type of people "

if one word sums up RTE its "safe", and thats dull as fcuk.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Tubridy can put guests at their ease and bring out the best in them.
When interviewing an author, or talking about books in general, he actually reads the publications. That's rare.

IMHO RTE's greatest talent is Myles Dungan. He should have the PK radio slot full time.

Supermanpolitician

QuizMaster said:
Tubridy can put guests at their ease and bring out the best in them.
When interviewing an author, or talking about books in general, he actually reads the publications. That's rare.

IMHO RTE's greatest talent is Myles Dungan. He should have the PK radio slot full time.
Agree that some of the serious journalists are ok. Dungan is excellent as are Sean O'Rourke and Cathal Mac Hoille.

But Tubridy, Ryan, Duffy etc are being paid vasts sums of my licence fee when they are no talent amateurs.
Mary Wilson is a poor second to book Cooper and Hook on the radio.

Concert Orchestra are great but have to pay separately to see them. Yep we are subjected to people serving coffee in Failte Towers and to quote Morrissey (or was it Weller) "That's Entertainment".

RTE don't deserve a licence fee.

bob3344

Pretty much the only show I watch on RTE apart from sports/news is Reeling in the years, which probably cost a tenner to put together.

Then you have that smug tool kenny raking in a million a year. :roll:

Only topped by paying that other git Gay Byrne a RETAINER FFS. As if anyone else would employ him.

Supermanpolitician

bob3344 said:
Pretty much the only show I watch on RTE apart from sports/news is Reeling in the years, which probably cost a tenner to put together.

Then you have that smug tool kenny raking in a million a year. :roll:

Only topped by paying that other git Gay Byrne a RETAINER FFS. As if anyone else would employ him.
Is he still getting paid?
Has he done anything of late?

Might just give the tv to charity.

S

Starkadder

Bedstore said:
It may have been corny & old-fashioned in some respects, but RTE was a lot better ten years ago & before.
Have you forgotten Gerry Ryan's Secrets & School Around the Corner, Finbarr's Class,
Extra Extra.....the Bad Stuff. :x

S

Starkadder

I really liked No Disco, although it lost something after poor Uaneen Fitzsimons
passed away in 2000.

I think Channel 6's Night Shift is an attempt to create a similar program.

I have very vague memories of an earlier RTE alt-rock show called the Electric Ballroom.

constitutionus

you know im starting to think the ONLY way we'll get a decent irish comedy in this country if a few lads do a bog standard done for no money version on YOUTUBE and then have RTE chuck some money at it when the figures add up on views

christ knows its the closest version we have to "pirate" TV and seeing as all their best DJs came from pirate radio its the next logical step.

oh and i see your "leave it to mrs o brien" and raise you a "hot milk and pepper"! :)

Centurian

Kenny "The Plank" really sucks - It destroyed the Late Late Show when he took over..... :x

HP

constitutionus said:
you know im starting to think the ONLY way we'll get a decent irish comedy in this country if a few lads do a bog standard done for no money version on YOUTUBE and then have RTE chuck some money at it when the figures add up on views

christ knows its the closest version we have to "pirate" TV and seeing as all their best DJs came from pirate radio its the next logical step.

oh and i see your "leave it to mrs o brien" and raise you a "hot milk and pepper"! :)

For once I think Rte should take a leaf out of the bbc's book. The bbc get most of their comedy from people who send in scripts to the radio. If they show any promise they get a slot on the radio, no need for sets or extravagant budgets, get a chance to hone your skills etc and then if its got legs it finally ends up on the telly.

Shows such as Little Britain and The Mighty Boosh started out like this.

The person who posted the sarcy comment about Fair City above clearly hasn't watched it lately. I genuinely think its pretty good, as soap operas go. A very close second to Corrie these days with a nice mix of comedy and drama.

-adam-d

As No one's brought up RTE's daytime TV Schedule Yet, I was just thinking wouldn't it be much better value to replace Oprah & Dr Phil With more Oireachtas Live and save on this new Dail TV Channel. And Also I don't think ppl are Giving PrimeTime the credit it deserves!

Lord of the Flies

RTE give excellent service when you compare them to TV3, Channel 6, Sky One etc. OK Kenny Ryan et al are paid enormous salaries but look at the revenue they bring in , in advertising. If I employed employees generating that type of income I would pay them well also.

Supermanpolitician

Lord of the Flies said:
RTE give excellent service when you compare them to TV3, Channel 6, Sky One etc. OK Kenny Ryan et al are paid enormous salaries but look at the revenue they bring in , in advertising. If I employed employees generating that type of income I would pay them well also.
Sorry but TV3 etc don't get propped up by my TV licence. They can do what they want. It can be as crap as they like. But I have already paid for RTE. We deserve better than Tubridy!

S

Starkadder

Lord of the Flies said:
Is TG4 still paid by our licence fee? The quality of the programmes is quite good,even
if you're not much cop at our native language.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies