How bad is RTE?

akanji

Supermanpolitician said:
Just lsitening to the "wireless" which I think should be renamed "clueless" and much is made of RTE's new season. We still have Tubridy, Ryan and Kenny. On radio Kenny is someway competent, although a bit stiff on TV. Ryan has his style, which is obnoxious. But Does Tubridy have any redeeming talent at all apart from being a smart arsed big eared tool?

Such a lack of originality, I have never seen. Rare exceptions include the docu-drama about Neary, Q&A and the News. Everything else is old, stale and unimaginative.
All i can say is that, RTE are alright though, exept some people telling us that we are just doing what we should have done before. l.o.l

constitutionus

HP said:
constitutionus said:
you know im starting to think the ONLY way we'll get a decent irish comedy in this country if a few lads do a bog standard done for no money version on YOUTUBE and then have RTE chuck some money at it when the figures add up on views

christ knows its the closest version we have to "pirate" TV and seeing as all their best DJs came from pirate radio its the next logical step.

oh and i see your "leave it to mrs o brien" and raise you a "hot milk and pepper"! :)

For once I think Rte should take a leaf out of the bbc's book. The bbc get most of their comedy from people who send in scripts to the radio. If they show any promise they get a slot on the radio, no need for sets or extravagant budgets, get a chance to hone your skills etc and then if its got legs it finally ends up on the telly.

Shows such as Little Britain and The Mighty Boosh started out like this.

The person who posted the sarcy comment about Fair City above clearly hasn't watched it lately. I genuinely think its pretty good, as soap operas go. A very close second to Corrie these days with a nice mix of comedy and drama.
that makes FAR too much sense for someone in RTE management to grasp. :)

i dont watch soaps myself but i will concede fair citys been tackling some controversial issue lately which is to be welcomed. just cause its a soap doesnt mean it cant be quality writing too.

in regards to TG4 i cant understand a fecking word on it but it does seem to take a more adventurous stab at programming . RTE could learn alot from the chances they take. theres some quality historical programs on it ,their pop show done in temple bar is as good as anything you'll see on MTV and while i havent see it in ages ros na run used to be fecking hilarious with some of its story lines, even that kids show "aifric" (spl) is leagues ahead of the aussie crap force on us on RTE 2 .

it is sad though that there just DOESNT seem to be a way for genuine talent to get into RTE, or any other media outlet for that matter. your suggestion of the BEEB route merits serious attention. christ knows newstalk or TV3 should be seriously considering looking at it. i mean does ANYONE seriously see RTE hiring the next billy connoly BEFORE he's made a name for himself? they'd crap themselve first.

cropbeye

Agree that TG4 is excellent.

Regarding the summer on the main channels I though Derek Davis

was much better than Joe" I'l shut you up if I don't agree with you" Duffy.

constitutionus

he wasnt the only one. some of the other stand ins did just as good a job too which begs the question why RTE dont just sack them and replace em with cheaper capable tallent.

im pretty sure derek doesnt get the quater of a million a year joe does. :)

Richie Nixon

RTE. A poor excuse for a Public Service Broadcaster

RTE is a unique Public Service Broadcaster. It is one of the few which draws revenue from advertisers, and the average punter who watches it. The BBC (one of the worlds greatest and reknowned Public service broadcasters) do not seek revenue from advertising.

I dont believe that the licence is required, and it is an unnecessary burden on people who use the Television to avail of shows like the 6 one News, Questions and Answers, Prime Time, and the array of "public interest documentaries" which have been shown over the years. Of course people will argue for and against the benefits of shows like Q&A, as its questionable how beneficial a staged political show is ! However,as a public service broadcaster people should be entitled to these rights for free. Feck it, RTE earn enough in advertising rights anyhow, even the weatherforcast is sponsored by Avonmore Milk.

The licencing fee is being spent on creating rubbish like "Failte Towers", "Celebrity Farm", "Your A Star", "Celebrity Banaisteoir" and the likes. These fall outside the remit of Public Service Broadcasting. While I agree that people need to be entertained, I believe that its sufficient to provide Australian soaps, The Simpsons, and other indigenous comedy shows, which have been quite successful. These have always been available. However, the reality show is a waste of taxpayers money, and should be scrapped. It should be up to the likes of TV3 and Channel 6 to provide such shows.

I also believe that RTE is wasting huge money on keeping the Channel running through the night. I think it is an inexpert use of taxpayers money to utilise mind numbing shows like Shortland Street and Laguna Beach, and Immature (yet highly funny) MTV shows like Jackass, Wildboyz, and Viva La Bam. The fact that thy show a weekly repeat of Prime Time and Questions and Answers with 30 mins of Euronews at 6am, doesnt validate this flagrant waste of money. The BBC closes down at Between 3.15 and 4.15 on most nights (after a nightly showing of Panorama) and converts to BBC News 24 until 7am. If RTE cannot provde a service such as this, then it should effect closedown at 2am, with a rousing rendition of our National Anthem of course. If people wish to watch television beyond that, then they should seek to install NTL or Sky digital.

While i conceed that RTE's sports coverage is second to none (I doubt any indigenous channel gets as much coverage of sports as RTE does), I believe that there needs to be some changes. These include

1.The Abolition of the Licence Fee
2.The Removal of the ridiculous Reality TV which has become so prominant
3.The reversion to Closedown at 2AM, or do a deal with a NewsChannel which would provide information relevant to Irish People
4.Reform of Questions and Answers from a watered down snore fest, to a more enlightened and fast moving discussion
5.Earlier Transmission of "The Week In Politics"

I would welcome other suggestions on how our National Broadcaster could improve its service

Corcaigh33

Is TV3 just ITV with Irish news now?

ArtyQueing

on the positive side I can now get the FM service on the bad side the travel alerts are rubbish - could not tell me about the landslide between Glenarm and Carnlough.

FrankSpeaks

I think that RTE1 is an excellent channel, it grabs most of my viewing hours even though I am a Sky subscriber. I would describe TV3 as the Sun or Mirror on TV. TG4 has some excellent shows (subtitles are essential for my viewing). I also like BBC channels and the Discovery\National Geographic ones especially when the show Science programs and I am also addicted to the UK TV Food channel.

Ceacg

akanji said:
Supermanpolitician said:
Just lsitening to the "wireless" which I think should be renamed "clueless" and much is made of RTE's new season. We still have Tubridy, Ryan and Kenny. On radio Kenny is someway competent, although a bit stiff on TV. Ryan has his style, which is obnoxious. But Does Tubridy have any redeeming talent at all apart from being a smart arsed big eared tool?

Such a lack of originality, I have never seen. Rare exceptions include the docu-drama about Neary, Q&A and the News. Everything else is old, stale and unimaginative.
All i can say is that, RTE are alright though, exept some people telling us that we are just doing what we should have done before. l.o.l
RTE is terrible. What other station can take successful francise and kill them. The weakest link, Who wants to be a millionaire are the two that come to mind immediatly. I wonder how quickly will they destroy "Who do you think you are"?

Supermanpolitician

Starkadder said:
Lord of the Flies said:
RTE give excellent service when you compare them to TV3, Channel 6, Sky One etc. OK Kenny Ryan et al are paid enormous salaries but look at the revenue they bring in , in advertising. If I employed employees generating that type of income I would pay them well also.
Is TG4 still paid by our licence fee? The quality of the programmes is quite good,even
if you're not much cop at our native language.
Tg4 gets our licence fees as does radio na gaeltachta.

Some things on RTE are ok, but much of the stuff is just a rehash of something done elsewhere.

It's just depressing.

merle haggard

i think TG4 is going fully private shortly

if you gave rte billions all youll still get is more celebrity reality shows , more podge and rodge even camper presenters for its morning housewife shows , more series starring those 3 fukkwits ..whaddya call them..how low can you go .and cathal oshannon whimpering about how awful it is we dont all wear poppies.theyre just shyte

only half decent things ive seen on it in years are naked camera and ummm... probably some foreign film on late

and charlie bird being battered up OConnell street

5intheface

merle haggard said:
and charlie bird being battered up OConnell street
Please tell me that's on youtube?

drbob1972

constitutionus said:
HP said:
constitutionus said:
you know im starting to think the ONLY way we'll get a decent irish comedy in this country if a few lads do a bog standard done for no money version on YOUTUBE and then have RTE chuck some money at it when the figures add up on views

christ knows its the closest version we have to "pirate" TV and seeing as all their best DJs came from pirate radio its the next logical step.

oh and i see your "leave it to mrs o brien" and raise you a "hot milk and pepper"! :)

For once I think Rte should take a leaf out of the bbc's book. The bbc get most of their comedy from people who send in scripts to the radio. If they show any promise they get a slot on the radio, no need for sets or extravagant budgets, get a chance to hone your skills etc and then if its got legs it finally ends up on the telly.

Shows such as Little Britain and The Mighty Boosh started out like this.

The person who posted the sarcy comment about Fair City above clearly hasn't watched it lately. I genuinely think its pretty good, as soap operas go. A very close second to Corrie these days with a nice mix of comedy and drama.
that makes FAR too much sense for someone in RTE management to grasp. :)

i dont watch soaps myself but i will concede fair citys been tackling some controversial issue lately which is to be welcomed. just cause its a soap doesnt mean it cant be quality writing too.

in regards to TG4 i cant understand a fecking word on it but it does seem to take a more adventurous stab at programming . RTE could learn alot from the chances they take. theres some quality historical programs on it ,their pop show done in temple bar is as good as anything you'll see on MTV and while i havent see it in ages ros na run used to be fecking hilarious with some of its story lines, even that kids show "aifric" (spl) is leagues ahead of the aussie crap force on us on RTE 2 .

it is sad though that there just DOESNT seem to be a way for genuine talent to get into RTE, or any other media outlet for that matter. your suggestion of the BEEB route merits serious attention. christ knows newstalk or TV3 should be seriously considering looking at it. i mean does ANYONE seriously see RTE hiring the next billy connoly BEFORE he's made a name for himself? they'd crap themselve first.
one may make a suggestion that they take that one step further and apply to be a BBC regional network, expand BBC NI to just be BBC I, as lets be honest its widely acknowledged that the BBC is one of the best broadcasters globally and RTE seems to be utter incapable of doing anything of any real merit on its own.......... of course it will never happen though :(

5intheface

merle haggard said:
5intheface said:
merle haggard":1csy0gnd] and charlie bird being battered up OConnell street[/quote] Please tell me that's on youtube?[/quote] a wee bit [url="http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUpbDO-8xo said:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUpbDO-8xo[/url][/quote:1csy0gnd]

Guffaw Guffaw, have these people no respect for the Orange Order?

YukonTom

well there pretty bad judging on the lottery debacle tonight where they gave out the wrong numbers and apoligised later that is not good enough

Astral Peaks

How bad?

How's this for screaming incompetence?

Here is a tweet sent out by Morning Ireland this morning at approx 8.15AM

Morning Ireland‏@morning_ireland

@BBCDanielS Hi Daniel. Hoping to be able to speak to you this morning. Can you email us with a phone number: morningireland@rte.ie

So far so good.....

The flagship news radio show is looking to get in touch with Daniel Sandford, the Moscow correspondent for the BBC.

Now, kiddies, who is the recently appointed MD of News and Current Affairs at RTE?

Why it's this man: Kevin Bakhurst Kevin Bakhurst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The bould Kevin was formerly Deputy Head of the BBC Newsroom, amongst other roles. He was appointed to RTE in July 2012, after the Reynolds debacle.

So here we have the RTE news staff, led by a former deputy Head of BBC News, using a public Tweet to try to contact a BBC staffer in Moscow?

Does anybody else think this is very odd?

Surely Bakhurst would have been able to sort this in minutes?
Or ring the duty editor at the news desk in London and ask him/her to sort it out?

But using Twitter?

Bizarre.

nwalshe

Goons

They are a bunch of clowns in RTÉ who refuse to acknowledge the fact that much of their inflated wages for ill-informed, agenda driven, poor excuse for broadcasting comes out of the public pocket, and certain members don't even attempt to hide the fact they hire in-laws, cousins, aunties, sisters, brothers and wives for public positions. Give me TV3 any day of the week!

Last edited:

Dr Pat

RTE radio 1 - Marty Morrissey is hosting a programme which is supposed to be light. Instead, we have Una moaning about women's status and how she is going to continue banging the drum. Awful stuff, following on from general disavowal and poo-pooing of Brexit, Trump for the umpteenth time. Is this what we are expected to digest on the first day of 2018? Positivity it ain't.

Last edited:

Uganda

RTE radio 1 - Marty Morrissey is hosting a programme which is supposed to be light. Instead, we have Una moaning about women's status and how she is going to continue banging the drum. Awful stuff, following on from general disavowal and poo-pooing Brexit, Trump for the umpteenth time. Is this what we are expected to digest on the first day of 2018? Positivity it ain't.
I heard mulally droning on, and on.

What an insufferable yoke.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom