How can Ireland benefit from the U.K. leaving the EU?

ger12

So, how can we make hay of the decision by a member state to leave the EU?

Shouldn't the HSE get its arse ASAP over to the UK and tell all our Irish nurses that we'd love them to return to Ireland where they won't have to worry about getting visas? (Mind you, the government would have to reverse the decision to yet again impose a hiring freeze despite engineering a crisis where many major acute hospitals are staffed at very dangerous levels).

And the Dept of Education, that bastion of backward thing by times, couldn't we take an outsider in to look at ensuring we build rapidly our linguistic skills in order to be a multi-lingual front door into Europe for business?

Any more suggestions?

truthandjustice

How about Ireland leaves the EU and creates a partnership of independent nation states trading together with a visa style immigration policy???????

Eire1976

The Irish Government should, through its various departments and bodies be contacting all business that located itself in the UK because they were English speaking and in the EU and inform them that Ireland is open for business.

PBP voter

Eire1976

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Most of Europe is English speaking these days.

HSBC will move it's jobs to Paris if the UK leaves the Single market.

HSBC 'to move jobs to Paris if UK leaves single market' - BBC News
There's English-speaking and English-speaking.

I know plenty of senior management people in Germany who speak English almost perfectly. That doesn't mean they can put together a professional business letter, never mind a complex financial presentation for a native English-speaking audience.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
For business purposes yes, but their fluency is not great.

I live in Norway and everyone told me that Norwegians speak Norsk and English, unless they have been living abroad for a while, even the best of them have difficulty putting a coherent email together.
Beat me to it.

ger12

How about Ireland leaves the EU and creates a partnership of independent nation states trading together with a visa style immigration policy???????
I wouldn't fancy that to be honest.

What does interest me is how we can turn the UK leaving to our advantage. Any suggestions?

ger12

Artful_Dodger

So, how can we make hay of the decision by a member state to leave the EU?

Shouldn't the HSE get its arse ASAP over to the UK and tell all our Irish nurses that we'd love them to return to Ireland where they won't have to worry about getting visas? (Mind you, the government would have to reverse the decision to yet again impose a hiring freeze despite engineering a crisis where many major acute hospitals are staffed at very dangerous levels).

And the Dept of Education, that bastion of backward thing by times, couldn't we take an outsider in to look at ensuring we build rapidly our linguistic skills in order to be a multi-lingual front door into Europe for business?

Any more suggestions?
You're a complete joker.

You think nurses are going to come back to Ireland because Britain has left the EU? For Christ sake....why on Earth would they? The British economy will soar in the coming years - why on Earth would they want to come back to the slowest growing economic bloc in the world? You talk about Visa's....Britain has a special relationship with Ireland. For heavens sake they don't even consider us a foreign country as laid out in the 1949 Ireland Act. Our free movement and unrestricted passage precedes the European Union. And even if it didn't (in some alternative dimension), what is so problematic in obtaining a visa?

This Brexit is really getting to you. You're taking it personally. Step away from the computer and go outside.

ger12

Could we entice some financial services from London to Dublin? The IT had a story about Morgan Stanley leaving the UK for Dublin or Frankfurt.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. Will foreign banks leave the UK after Brexit? - FT.com

The Financial Times is reporting hearing that some banks — particularly large US ones — are already activating contingency plans and sounding out regulators on licences required outside the UK. Executives are being prepared for an eventual move to other countries.

Will foreign banks leave the UK after Brexit? - FT.com

truthandjustice

You're a complete joker.

You think nurses are going to come back to Ireland because Britain has left the EU? For Christ sake....why on Earth would they? The British economy will soar in the coming years - why on Earth would they want to come back to the slowest growing economic bloc in the world? You talk about Visa's....Britain has a special relationship with Ireland. For heavens sake they don't even consider us a foreign country as laid out in the 1949 Ireland Act. Our free movement and unrestricted passage precedes the European Union. And even if it didn't (in some alternative dimension), what is so problematic in obtaining a visa?

This Brexit is really getting to you. You're taking it personally. Step away from the computer and go outside.

It's time to give Britain and Ireland a different option to the EU. An alternative must be offered. Our political class are betraying the nation.

ger12

You're a complete joker.

Actually, I see it as a great opportunity for Ireland. I predicted a Stay and hoped for a Leave and bejaysas, I was shocked on Thursday morning, but I had a grin on my face old chap.

RodShaft

There's English-speaking and English-speaking.

I know plenty of senior management people in Germany who speak English almost perfectly. That doesn't mean they can put together a professional business letter, never mind a complex financial presentation for a native English-speaking audience.
Too many people believe that other countries speak English. They do, but very much as a second language.

Anyone who argues that being a native English speaking country is not an advantage is a fool.

As is anyone who argues that being native English speaking but bilingual through increased familiarity with Irish or some other non English language is not an advantage.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There is far too much 'chicken little' hyperbole floating about with the UK proposing to leave the EU.

It is very unlikely to affect travel between the two countries or working rights for the Irish in the UK.

truthandjustice

Actually, I see it as a great opportunity for Ireland. I predicted a Stay and hoped for a Leave and bejaysas, I was shocked on Thursday morning, but I had a grin on my face old chap.
Ireland isn't even considered when the commission decided to punish the UK for leaving. In punishing them they destroy Ireland and all because they fear a contagious exit by other nations.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies