How can Ireland benefit from the U.K. leaving the EU?

Eire1976

Could we entice some financial services from London to Dublin? The IT had a story about Morgan Stanley leaving the UK for Dublin or Frankfurt.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. Will foreign banks leave the UK after Brexit? - FT.com

The Financial Times is reporting hearing that some banks — particularly large US ones — are already activating contingency plans and sounding out regulators on licences required outside the UK. Executives are being prepared for an eventual move to other countries.

Will foreign banks leave the UK after Brexit? - FT.com
We can of course attract a lot of companies to move to Dublin, but they will need some coaxing from the Irish government agencies.

We can't be leaving it to them to figure it out.

Also, Enda is scared of upsetting the British and being seen to benefit from Brexit. We are led by a Donkey.

RodShaft

It's time to give Britain and Ireland a different option to the EU. An alternative must be offered. Our political class are betraying the nation.
There is no such place as Britain and Ireland.

Your avatar disgusts me.

truthandjustice

We can of course attract a lot of companies to move to Dublin, but they will need some coaxing from the Irish government agencies.

Also, Enda is scared of upsetting the British and being seen to benefit from Brexit. We are led by a Donkey.
The donkey is the EU .

ger12

Ireland isn't even considered when the commission decided to punish the UK for leaving. In punishing them they destroy Ireland and all because they fear a contagious exit by other nations.
Actually, it's in the interest of Europe that that doesn't happen. It's in the collective interest that Britain isn't rewarded.

Artful_Dodger

Actually, I see it as a great opportunity for Ireland. I predicted a Stay and hoped for a Leave and bejaysas, I was shocked on Thursday morning, but I had a grin on my face old chap.
Well then I apologise.

It's just that we have heard such total rubbish from the Remain side this week.

ger12

I agree that Enda is probably the poorest leader we have in this situation. Roll on the next election.

ger12

ger12

Well then I apologise.

It's just that we have heard such total rubbish from the Remain side this week.
Ah now, both sides seemed to have engaged in a lot of poetic licence.

truthandjustice

Actually, it's in the interest of Europe that that doesn't happen. It's in the collective interest that Britain isn't rewarded.
It's like the fecking borg that bloody EU
"The greater good" what film is that from?

Eire1976

It's time to adopt the British policy of having interests and not Friends.

The British would be publicly telling all companies in Ireland that they could move to the UK and get full support if Ireland had Eirexit.

ger12

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
So, how can we make hay of the decision by a member state to leave the EU?

Shouldn't the HSE get its arse ASAP over to the UK and tell all our Irish nurses that we'd love them to return to Ireland where they won't have to worry about getting visas? (Mind you, the government would have to reverse the decision to yet again impose a hiring freeze despite engineering a crisis where many major acute hospitals are staffed at very dangerous levels).

And the Dept of Education, that bastion of backward thing by times, couldn't we take an outsider in to look at ensuring we build rapidly our linguistic skills in order to be a multi-lingual front door into Europe for business?

Any more suggestions?
The visa thing is not a thing. There'll be no visa requirements for Brits in Europe or for Paddies on the mainland.

Ireland's advantages will depend to a great degree on how vindictive the EU is in setting conditions with the UK. As we're shackled to the EU, we aren't even allowed negotiate a trading deal with our biggest market. There may be trouble ahead.

sic transit

Christ, you lot really are a shower of vultures.
Other countries are likely to be thinking the same thing. If companies make strategic decisions to look elsewhere, how are we the vultures to seek opportunities to accommodate them?

sic transit

It's time to adopt the British policy of having interests and not Friends.

The British would be publicly telling all companies in Ireland that they could move to the UK and get full support if Ireland had Eirexit.
That friends thing has worked well for very long time. Self-serving interests do not work very well for a small country like ours.

ger12

Other countries are likely to be thinking the same thing. If companies make strategic decisions to look elsewhere, how are we the vultures to seek opportunities to accommodate them?
We're not. I'm not sure where Calc is coming from on that one.

ger12

The visa thing is not a thing. There'll be no visa requirements for Brits in Europe or for Paddies on the mainland.

Ireland's advantages will depend to a great degree on how vindictive the EU is in setting conditions with the UK. As we're shackled to the EU, we aren't even allowed negotiate a trading deal with our biggest market. There may be trouble ahead.
It'll be like going to the US, of course they'll be immigration control. As it was before the UK was in the EU.

You can't have the rights without the responsibilities.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
It'll be like going to the US, of course they'll be immigration control. As it was before the UK was in the EU.

You can't have the rights without the responsibilities.
It won't be like the US.

ger12

It won't be like the US.
Of course it will. Sure wasn't that what the whole Brexit thing boiled down to in the end. How else do you expect them to police their border?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies