• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

How can smoking in vehicles be banned?

Should smoking in vehicles be banned?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Congalltee

Can it be done through Road Traffic Legislation a la mobile phones or through making a Motor Vehicle a place of work for the purposes of smoking ban legislation?

It is probably already banned as driving without due care and attention but the message does not seem to be getting through.
Why it needs to be done:
1. It is dangerous driving.
2. It is a confined space.
3. Children have to be protected from delinquent parents.

Pauli

Nanny state nonsense!!

Mister men

I drive for a living and can tell you the mobile ban whilst driving is'nt working and is'nt enforced to the level it should be. Smoking ban would be no different.

charley

Its as big a risk as mobile phone use maybe more so.
There should be a big emphasis at making smoking totally unacceptable everywhere.
It should be considered as something similiar to doing a poo in public.

Samell

Can it be done through Road Traffic Legislation a la mobile phones or through making a Motor Vehicle a place of work for the purposes of smoking ban legislation?

It is probably already banned as driving without due care and attention but the message does not seem to be getting through.
Why it needs to be done:
Driving alone in a car I paid for, smoking cigarettes I paid for, top down no kids where is the problem?
Taxi's say no because the smoke makes the car stink though sometimes it would be preferable to the BO or overpowering perfume of some punters.
Samething with company cars 'no smoking in the offices'
but MY car MY rules.
Ok?
health nazi

charley

We have a lot more important things to worry about
The long term costs of smoking related diseases are one of the reasons the health budget is so high. Smoking in a car with children is abuse

The T Man

I don't see smoking while driving on a par with using a mobile phone when driving.

When you use a mobile phone when driving you constantly have one hand off the wheel, but when smoking its only off for brief periods at a time, like taking your hand of to scratch your nose, should we ban scratching as well?

It is a confined space, and drivers shouldn't smoke when theres Children in the car, maybe they should be hit with hefty fines instead of banning it all together.

MsAnneThrope

I flick my butt in your general direction Congalltee! ;)

I wouldn't have a problem with making it illegal to smoke whenever children are in the car but if it's an adult driving alone or in the company of other adults who don't object then it should be none of the State's business.

Any stats to back up the claim it's dangerous? I've smoked all my adult life while driving and never had one accident while smoking - not even a fender bender. Many drivers, including tons of cab drivers, drive with just one hand on the wheel too. I fail to see how smoking while driving is dangerous? Eating a sweet (opening the wrapper), taking a sip from a coffee or a soft drink can, changing channels on the radio or changing a CD should also be banned if smoking is considered dangerous. How are those activities any less dangerous.

Sorry but I think it's a silly idea.

willoughby

Why it needs to be done:

Banning it in vehicles cannot be done, smoking in the presence of children could be if it was so felt it was needed.

Ulster-Lad

Mother of Christ, chill out people: just not while driving.
What I do in my own car is none of your business or the states. Long stretch there to think it is dangerous driving. See the post from Annie above, I agree 100%

Congalltee

Not to be naive but is it not already illegal to smoke while driving? The problem being that smokers do not recognise it as being against the law. 5 penaly points might help the smokers see the light through their fog.

Ulster-Lad

At the end of the day the state would like nothing more but to ban smoking totally. But alas they would go bankrupt even faster then we already are due to the lack of tax.

Interista

Mother of Christ, chill out people, have a drag: just not while driving.
Why? I don't smoke but don't see what's wrong with people doing so in a private car. There might be a case for banning smoking in cars with children - though imho even that smacks of nanny-statism. However, I simply can't see why people should be forbidden from smoking in their own cars. It's no more dangerous than drinking a cup of coffee while driving, probably less so. Do you want to ban that too?

Cato

Daft idea. The state has no business dictating what people can do in the privacy of their own car.

Risteard

I'll smoke wherever the hell I want.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies