How can Unionism be understood in the island of Ireland?

Mickeymac

I have supplied a couple of links here, which open up much debate and would appreciate some understanding of the partitionists who make up some 20% of the Irish populace...........

I must say I have great difficult understanding Unionism even though I have lived with Unionists all my life. I had Unionist neighbours growing up in north Fermanagh. They were good neighbours. As a boy I used to work on their farms during the summer holidays. I learned to drive the tractor and to drive a horse and cart. But many years later and having lived through the Troubles and seeing the new arrangement which brought the DUP and Sinn Fein together in a powersharing experiment I still cannot understand what it is that causes Unionists to take such a hard-line attitude towards the south(26 counties) and towards their neighbours who are not unionists.

At a recent meeting with Unionist councillors I was corrected by a unionist councillor for referring to ‘the north of Ireland’. I was told it is called Northern Ireland. I was also accused of being political for calling on people to seek to remain united to Europe and to the rest of the island of Ireland for the good of all. Another member of our delegation was chided for referring to the ‘English Tories’. ‘They are Conservatives’, we were told. These childish comments reveal to me an underlying insecurity and fear within Unionism. They have not come to terms yet with the Good Friday Agreement and the notion of equality. They feel under threat. Many years ago a few of us, including human rights campaigner the late Oliver Kearney, came together to campaign for equality in the north. We identified that equality was the only basis on which we could live together with our unionist friends in a contrived state like Norn Ireland. We never had equality before or since partition. We were treated as second-class citizens. The Good Friday Agreement ensured that, from then on, there must be equality in all aspects of life. That was to be the basis for the devolved government and for future arrangements in Ireland.

Read on..........'My Difficulty Understanding Unionism' by Joe McVeigh - Jude Collins

The debate continues with part 2 of my links which further opens up more questions and much debate about Unionism which to be fair is worthy of questioning by those who simply do not understand their politics.

'My difficulty understanding Unionism (Part2)' by Joe McVeigh - Jude Collins

Mickeymac

I particularly liked this piece from the second link by Joe McVeigh......

I am not an enemy of unionists. I am a friend and I want to be a friend. I want the best for unionists as I do want the best for nationalists and these two are not irreconcilable. I would like to see a unified Ireland for many reasons but most of all I believe it offers us the best hope for a stable future where everybody will have the opportunity to flourish and where we can work together for the good of all. I believe that an all-island economy within the EU offered us all the best way forward – economically, socially and politically. That is why I am opposed to Brexit especially when a majority in the north voted to Remain.

death or glory

I have supplied a couple of links here, which open up much debate and would appreciate some understanding of the partitionists who make up some 20% of the Irish populace...........

I must say I have great difficult understanding Unionism even though I have lived with Unionists all my life. I had Unionist neighbours growing up in north Fermanagh. They were good neighbours. As a boy I used to work on their farms during the summer holidays. I learned to drive the tractor and to drive a horse and cart. But many years later and having lived through the Troubles and seeing the new arrangement which brought the DUP and Sinn Fein together in a powersharing experiment I still cannot understand what it is that causes Unionists to take such a hard-line attitude towards the south(26 counties) and towards their neighbours who are not unionists.

At a recent meeting with Unionist councillors I was corrected by a unionist councillor for referring to ‘the north of Ireland’. I was told it is called Northern Ireland. I was also accused of being political for calling on people to seek to remain united to Europe and to the rest of the island of Ireland for the good of all. Another member of our delegation was chided for referring to the ‘English Tories’. ‘They are Conservatives’, we were told. These childish comments reveal to me an underlying insecurity and fear within Unionism. They have not come to terms yet with the Good Friday Agreement and the notion of equality. They feel under threat. Many years ago a few of us, including human rights campaigner the late Oliver Kearney, came together to campaign for equality in the north. We identified that equality was the only basis on which we could live together with our unionist friends in a contrived state like Norn Ireland. We never had equality before or since partition. We were treated as second-class citizens. The Good Friday Agreement ensured that, from then on, there must be equality in all aspects of life. That was to be the basis for the devolved government and for future arrangements in Ireland.

Read on..........'My Difficulty Understanding Unionism' by Joe McVeigh - Jude Collins

The debate continues with part 2 of my links which further opens up more questions and much debate about Unionism which to be fair is worthy of questioning by those who simply do not understand their politics.

'My difficulty understanding Unionism (Part2)' by Joe McVeigh - Jude Collins
Mickeymouth,
for goodness one link in two parts linked by Jude "BB are terrorists" Collins,

Oh Lord give us strength.

former wesleyan

Who is Joe McVeigh ? Jude Collins alter ego or something ?

between the bridges

Who is Joe McVeigh ? Jude Collins alter ego or something ?
Retired priest from Fermanagh, nice enough man but can't really hold a political conversation (and moi's had a few with him) so he writes letters to the papers and now Jude's blog...

former wesleyan

Google is as friendly to you as anyone else, don't for Heaven's sake ask such dopey questions.
You mean this Joe McVeigh ? Who wonders why Prods aren't falling over themselves to embrace his liberation theology ? Who thinks that Hamas - a shower of theocratic fascists - are like peas in a pod with the IRA - who deny being theological in any way shape or form ? This is a very very naughty boy.

Mickeymac

You mean this Joe McVeigh ? Who wonders why Prods aren't falling over themselves to embrace his liberation theology ? Who thinks that Hamas - a shower of theocratic fascists - are like peas in a pod with the IRA - who deny being theological in any way shape or form ? This is a very very naughty boy.

Is he not, like you and everyone else entitled to question things he don't understand?............address the question and OP pal without shooting the messenger.............got it?

former wesleyan

Is he not, like you and everyone else entitled to question things he don't understand?............address the question and OP pal without shooting the messenger.............got it?
McVeigh understands full well. He's from N.I. not Mars.

cricket

Was trying to think of what the OP reminded me of.
Took a while.
Then it came back to me ;
Ruth Patterson, mad unionist one, speaking about how a neighbour's child wouldn't play with her because she was a Protestant.
Will try to find video clip.

Novos

I read the links. The best part is the brilliantly loopy Jessica in the comments. Lots and lots of posts extolling the supposed virtues of UI and then....

jessica November 11, 2016 at 11:19 am #
Never mind unionists fiosrach, what would the southern establishment and its supporters in the south like us to be so they can trust and love us and how many generations of quarantine would it take?

And I assure you it isn’t only me who has come to the conclusion, that the whole stinking lot of them can all go fu*k themselves.

Am Ghobsmacht November 12, 2016 at 5:12 pm #
“And I assure you it isn’t only me who has come to the conclusion, that the whole stinking lot of them can all go fu*k themselves

And you wonder why there isn’t a united Ireland yet….

jessica November 12, 2016 at 6:01 pm #
“And you wonder why there isn’t a united Ireland yet….”

I would be content for a nationalist majority in the north and to give the unionist population a taste of their own medicine AG. We wont have that much longer to wait

Why on earth after persevering with the discrimination and insults from unionism for so long, when we finally have a chance to take control of our own part of Ireland, should we want to bring in another bunch of arse wipes to continue the beratement?

Fu*k em

The bridges today that need to be rebuilt are between the irish in the north and not the british,

Fu*k unionism.

GDPR

Well you have to admit Novos that Political Unionism outside of the Alliance Party who can be pretty clumisy at it are not in the making friends and influencing people business.

Novos

Well you have to admit Novos that Political Unionism outside of the Alliance Party who can be pretty clumisy at it are not in the making friends and influencing people business.
I know , it's so hard to understand them when all that happened was a few thousand murders and well over 10,000 bombs directed at their community. And now they don't want to be friends or join with the Republicans in a new Ireland. Seems a bit churlish of them right enough.
How can anyone possibly understand that sort of behavior?
It's a mystery.

GDPR

I know , it's so hard to understand them when all that happened was a few thousand murders and well over 10,000 bombs directed at their community. And now they don't want to be friends or join with the Republicans in a new Ireland. Seems a bit churlish of them right enough.
How can anyone possibly understand that sort of behavior?
It's a mystery.
Oh seriously- before the PIRA's campaign Ulster Political Unionism was a hell of a lot more nasty than it is now. The Alliance Party was essentially formed as a result of people realizing given the Provies' violence the old ways were not worth sustaining. Continually putting forward the Provies as a get out of jail card is both historically infeasible and immature.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies