How Can We/I Disprove Solipism?

General Urko

How Can We/I Disprove Solipsism?

From WIKI -

Solipsism, from Latin solus, meaning "alone", and ipse, meaning "self")[1] is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

I'm sure practically all P.iesters have thought of the possibilty of it, if only for a fleeting moment, what if I'm the only thing that exists and everything else is only there relative to me, e.g. the shop down the road doesn't exist when I cannot sense it!

Of course, I don't believe this notion, but how does anyone disprove it?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

former wesleyan

What's the difference between solipsism and phenomenology ?

Ireniall

From WIKI -

Solipsism, from Latin solus, meaning "alone", and ipse, meaning "self")[1] is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.

I'm sure practically all P.iesters have thought of the possibilty of it, if only for a fleeting moment, what if I'm the only thing that exists and everything else is only there relative to me, e.g. the shop down the road doesn't exist when I cannot sense it!

Of course, I don't believe this notion, but how does anyone disprove it?:rolleyes:
Wasn't there a famous Solipsist who lost his faith when a woman wrote to him saying that she had been a solipsist all her life and it was great to speak to another one?

farnaby

how does anyone disprove it?:rolleyes:
Ockham’s razor. To believe in solipsism you would need to believe that you, the only being in existence, has dreamt up the entire universe in your mind, understanding all its logic and complexity, and then deliberately made yourself ignorant You have chosen to place yourself in this concept as a relatively powerless, insignificant dot with no knowledge of how to change it. While “others” in your own world are brighter, better-looking, and living more exciting lives that you covet but have for some reason decided to leave out of your own experience.

The simplest explanation is usually the best. There are other beings, some teaching you how the objective world works.

General Urko

Ockham’s razor. To believe in solipsism you would need to believe that you, the only being in existence, has dreamt up the entire universe in your mind, understanding all its logic and complexity, and then deliberately made yourself ignorant You have chosen to place yourself in this concept as a relatively powerless, insignificant dot with no knowledge of how to change it. While “others” in your own world are brighter, better-looking, and living more exciting lives that you covet but have for some reason decided to leave out of your own experience.

The simplest explanation is usually the best. There are other beings, some teaching you how the objective world works.
Just because they are countless people in the world, better looking, richer, more powerful and successful than me, apparently, does not in itself disprove solipsism.

owedtojoy

From WIKI -

Bertrand Russell once had a letter from a woman who said she was a solipsist, and declared she was surprised there were not others like her.

I do find it hard to believe that not only did I write the plays of Shakespeare, but the symphonies of Beethoven as well, while discovering the Theories of Relativity and Evolution along the way.

Possibly, the Wittgenstein's "Language Games" paradox is the best way to disprove solipsism. Wittgenstein's Language work leads to the position that language is a social phenomenon that exists outside of ourselves. In other words, a "private language" spoken only by one person is impossible.

For example, has your pronunciation ever been corrected? Until I knew better, and when I saw it in books, I pronounced the word "misled" as "mizzled", instead of "miss-led". How likely is it that as a solipsist I invented the word "misled", hid its proper pronunciation from myself, until I decided to reveal it at some random moment?

I think a disproof of solipsism is possible along those lines.

Conor

I do find it hard to believe that not only did I write the plays of Shakespeare, but the symphonies of Beethoven as well, while discovering the Theories of Relativity and Evolution along the way.
It's not all that incredible - you're also the only one who thinks they're any good.

Erudite Caveman

When you dream at night, do you always dream that you are omnipotent and everything is just fantastic?

farnaby

Just because they are countless people in the world, better looking, richer, more powerful and successful than me, apparently, does not in itself disprove solipsism.
No, but you would have to believe that you intrinsically have all of their talents and attributes but decided (consciously or unconsciously) to deny these to your own persona - neither of which proposition you have any evidence for.

General Urko

No, but you would have to believe that you intrinsically have all of their talents and attributes but decided (consciously or unconsciously) to deny these to your own persona - neither of which proposition you have any evidence for.
Emmmm, But does a solipsist create his/her universe in a way that benefits him/her?
Also the existence of the phenomenon of language or mathematics does not disprove it.

I'm a million percent sure that solipsism is not a reality in the same way that I accept the theory of evolution is correct, but neither can be fully proven!

As an aside, how can we prove we all see the same colours, hear the same sounds or feel the same textures or taste the same food, they may all be vastly different for every person, but through convention we call them by the exact same terms, so we think it's the same for each of us.

between the bridges

How Can We/I Disprove Solipsism?
Answer tis question: Are ye stringjack?

simples, next...

General Urko

If I were in a solipsist universe the OP would cease their use of exclamation marks instead of full stops.

between the bridges

Hmmmm, mention stringjack and who appears...

fat finger

For proof of this we look no further than Simon and Garfunkel.
Solipslidin' Away was a joint effort.
QED

RepublicOfLuas

From WIKI -

Organize a meeting of fellow Solipsists and see which can figure out who the real one is.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies