How come The Blades never made it big?

RahenyFG

I've always wondered why The Blades never made it big. For a band with quality singles like Downmarket, Ghost Of A Chance, Those Were The Days and Hot For You the best they ever managed was an Irish top 30 hit with Downmarket. They were a band who straggled the Dublin music scene as an unsigned band in the late 1970s like another then unsigned band U2 sharing the bill in The Baggot Inn for a period. For me, with the songs they had and sounding like a popular band of the time The Jam, they should at least had a few UK Top 40 singles in the early to mid 1980s. Strangely in spite of being signed by 1981 they didn't release an album until 1985 with The Last Man In Europe and they then broke up a year later famously shunning Self Aid. Was it bad management or lack of promotional push outside Ireland for their lack of a major breakthrough? It was interesting to read in Tom Dunne's 101 Irish Albums to listen to in the Culture section of The Sunday Times when dissecting Raytown Revisited he said that The Blades would have dominated the world if they were a London band.

RahenyFG

PS-I'm unable to start threads on my new account, in spite of a moderator telling me I only needed 100 posts which I have now hit, so I'm temporarily using this account

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies