How damaging to the environment are the festive holidays such as christmas and others?

raspberry tea

How damaging to the environment is Christmas to the planet and other festive or religious and or commericalised holidays? Is there any way of measuring it, or anyone that has done some sort of study on it?

What impact has this ramped up consumerism, which is all year around as it is, what impact does amped up consumerism have on our environment. It cannot be healthy to keep buying and buying and buying clothing, Iphones, Laptops, TV's ,leather and pvc,shiny new petrol guzzling cars and plastic widgets, food wrapped in plastic - all over every supermarket, you cannot escape it even if you try, where does all this consumption end, at the dumpster - where we pollute the soil and waterways?

Where does it stop? In the near future we will not be able to dump all our rubbish from ''ethical'' Europe to the third world, and rightly so, why should Africa or the Phillipines have to deal with our mountains of rubbish? We need to clean up our act!

Last edited:

Half Nelson

Humbug!

Half Nelson

I'm having a nut roast this Christmas and I don't feel bah humbug, I'm buying nothing this year either - I'm saving up for the January sales!
I'm aiming for a plastic-free Christmas. I've grown allergic to the sight of the stuff.
You're right - we're drowning in our own poop.

raspberry tea

I'm aiming for a plastic-free Christmas. I've grown allergic to the sight of the stuff.
You're right - we're drowning in our own poop.
We are leaving a bleaker planet on every conceivable level for our children and our grandchildren. We should care and see past our own noses, so many people use ''shopping'' or ''designer shopping'' as some sort of hobby, it is pathetic, people even use it to wealth signal at their neighbours and friends, which is beyond sad. We are destroying ourselves and our childrens futures if this continues, why is there a constant need to trade in a car that's a couple of years old for a brand new one? Or trade in an old phone or Laptop for a new one, even when they are not broke, they want the latest or trendiest model,what is the point to all this rampant consumerism? What future are we looking at?

raspberry tea

I used to be part of the problem , not a huge part, I share a car, but I used to really shop when I had it , clothes , clothes , clothes, not so much designer stuff at all and wasn't into the whole trade your car in wealth signalling thing but I would buy when there was no need.
Now I'm much more cautious and I'm more likely to keep what I have for years and years, I'm not into trading up with my phone or computer / Laptop or anything like that, unless it doesn't work and even then i'll try to mend it [ if it is cheaper than buying a new one]. Our cooker broke recently and we couldn't fix it so recycled the old one and off set that money towards the new one.

Expose the lot of them

I used to be part of the problem , not a huge part, I share a car, but I used to really shop when I had it , clothes , clothes , clothes, not so much designer stuff at all and wasn't into the whole trade your car in wealth signalling thing but I would buy when there was no need.
Now I'm much more cautious and I'm more likely to keep what I have for years and years, I'm not into trading up with my phone or computer / Laptop or anything like that, unless it doesn't work and even then i'll try to mend it [ if it is cheaper than buying a new one]. Our cooker broke recently and we couldn't fix it so recycled the old one and off set that money towards the new one.
I am much the same, except for the mending side of things, it can be more expensive to get some competent to come and have a look, give you the technical diagnosis, "its ************************************", that will be €80, than buy a new one.

Having said that I think I was the last person in Ireland to have a flat screen tv and the other brute was only replaced when it died, took two strong men to carry it out.

My car is 03, 53k on the clock, regularly serviced passes NTC first time, every time, but the veggies would like to see it scrapped so that I can buy an over priced "environmentally friendly" model, which I cannot afford.

Washer/Dryer/Fridge and Dishwasher all tend to die at the same time, stands to reason the originals were all bought at the same time when I moved back to Ireland in 2001. Both Washer and Dryer are making ominous noises at present, guaranteed to die in the days coming up to the December madness.

darkhorse

What about the damage to people?
Their bank accounts, their livers, their time, etc
Its not all about the birds, the grass and the air ..

Mick Mac

Pity Raspberry didn't decide to save the environment by turning off his phone a few mins earlier ;)

raspberry tea

I am much the same, except for the mending side of things, it can be more expensive to get some competent to come and have a look, give you the technical diagnosis, "its ************************************", that will be €80, than buy a new one.

Having said that I think I was the last person in Ireland to have a flat screen tv and the other brute was only replaced when it died, took two strong men to carry it out.
We still had a heavy glass Television set up till last week, we just recently passed it on to a grand uncle who is on his last legs and doesn't do the whole digital thing, we have reluctantly got a new tv - its high definition and you can connect to the internet on it even but it is so flashy it gives me a headache if I watch it for too long, especially if the advertisments are on screen, I feel like I could nearly have a fit!

raspberry tea

The problem is we live in a very human society, and a very concrete one, we share this planet with animals and cannot keep thieving their rightful habitat off of them to build more dull concrete housing, we are plundering what is precious, our planet , our natural planet and its wildlife, some of these things are irreplaceable and we will never get them back or restore our planet back to good health, there are medicines and yet to be discovered antidotes from snake and frog venom in the amazon forest which is being knocked down by the new time for IKEA flat packed furniture, so when your trendy living room is not so trendy anymore you can buy a new one! This constant buying is destroying the earth and we need to ration ourselves our food and materials - otherwise we are going the way of the dodo!

darkhorse

The problem is we live in a very human society, and a very concrete one, we share this planet with animals and cannot keep thieving their rightful habitat off of them to build more dull concrete housing, we are plundering what is precious, our planet , our natural planet and its wildlife, some of these things are irreplaceable and we will never get them back or restore our planet back to good health, there are medicines and yet to be discovered antidotes from snake and frog venom in the amazon forest which is being knocked down by the new time for IKEA flat packed furniture, so when your trendy living room is not so trendy anymore you can buy a new one! This constant buying is destroying the earth and we need to ration ourselves our food and materials - otherwise we are going the way of the dodo!

You have a guilty conscience my dear
And I suspect you have done little or nothing to deserve it
I say have your little bit of central heating in the winter, have a good steak every now and then and it will all work out
Its a short life and enjoy it while you are still here
And don't punish yourself unnecessarily

Expose the lot of them

We still had a heavy glass Television set up till last week, we just recently passed it on to a grand uncle who is on his last legs and doesn't do the whole digital thing, we have reluctantly got a new tv - its high definition and you can connect to the internet on it even but it is so flashy it gives me a headache if I watch it for too long, especially if the advertisments are on screen, I feel like I could nearly have a fit!
The yoke I have is "Smart TV", I bought during a sale at DID and I am told that I got a great bargain. I was told by the very young salesman that the reason it was so "cheap" was that it was too small!!! It is 32" and I am told that is "bedroom size"!

It is HD and connects to the internet, when I was using a Samsung phone, both phone and tv "wanted to connect". I have it hooked up to NTL, or whatever they call themselves these days, so never use the "smart" functions. In fact I have not got a clue how that works, I plan to bring a neighbour's child or a younger family member in one day to show me what I am missing.

It was amazing how much bigger the room looked when the brute was sent for a decent burial and it is a pretty big room to start with. I bought the beast in Saudi Arabia in 1996, brought it home with me in 2001 and it died last year, I have been told that it is extraordinary that it lasted that long.

I have an Sony Trinitron, top of the range circa 1981, it actually still works but the remote control is ************************************, it lives in the attic as I just cannot bring my self to throw it on a skip or bring it to Ballymount. I am sure there is some child researcher for for a tv show, film, play, set in the 1980s desperately searching for Sony Trinitron as I type.

The suite of furniture I use is a 1930s Shell suite, purchased by my grandmother, it has been recovered and generally renovated several times, the loose covers where made for it in the 1990s.

The house I live in is over 120 years old, with most of the original features, I recently had to have the back of the fireplace replaced, the halldoor is original, probably the last survivor on the road, the rest have been replaced with "environmentally" friendly sh1t, sure it lets in drafts but hell a house has to breath.

I have, and use cutlery, crockery, china, glasses and ashtrays that are over 100 years old, and they survive regular trips to the dishwasher.

However as I drive to work, an absolute necessity as I have three sites to cover, light an open fire every day in winter, smoke, drink, flush my toilet after use, have a daily shower and use a washing machine, dryer and dishwasher, according to the veggies and cycling Tailban I am damaging the environment.

Draw for Ulster, piece of trivia for the evening last try set up by John Cooney, son of the journalist John Cooney, but Ulster failed to convert.

raspberry tea

You have a guilty conscience my dear
And I suspect you have done little or nothing to deserve it
I say have your little bit of central heating in the winter, have a good steak every now and then and it will all work out
Its a short life and enjoy it while you are still here
And don't punish yourself unnecessarily
I'm a vegetarian by choice, as we are now, we consume too much meat and it is harmful to the planet,[cows fart methane gas, pig slurry also is damaging] not just the planet but the slaughter and animal welfare practices I disagree with, I have seen videos of cows and sheep punched ,kicked and taunted before the ritual slaughter, it is not normal to have a job where you have to kill animals one after one on a production line - it would drive any sane individual cracked, even move those who have a heart of stone to utter despair. I'm not trying to protest against the world by being a miserable rabbit living on lettuce, I know one single person cannot make a change,however we can lead by example and spread the word to hopefully normalise vegetarianism and veganism and eco friendliness to the mainstream.

Expose the lot of them

I strongly recommend doing what I do, I go to France in or around December 18, earlier if the office Christmas party is earlier, and return early in the new year. The French do not do the vulgar, conspicuous consumption prevalent in Ireland, UK and US, wonderful seafood Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas day a ramble, a glass, a ramble, a glass, a ramble, lunch, nap dinner, sleep, rinse and repeat.

darkhorse

I'm a vegetarian by choice, as we are now, we consume too much meat and it is harmful to the planet,[cows fart methane gas, pig slurry also is damaging] not just the planet but the slaughter and animal welfare practices I disagree with, I have seen videos of cows and sheep punched ,kicked and taunted before the ritual slaughter, it is not normal to have a job where you have to kill animals one after one on a production line - it would drive any sane individual cracked, even move those who have a heart of stone to utter despair. I'm not trying to protest against the world by being a miserable rabbit living on lettuce, I know one single person cannot make a change,however we can lead by example and spread the word to hopefully normalise vegetarianism and veganism and eco friendliness to the mainstream.
Stop preaching
Life is short and normally miserable for most people
Make the best of it for your own sake
If you don't have a man in your life then check out the dating sites

raspberry tea

Stop preaching
Life is short and normally miserable for most people
Make the best of it for your own sake
If you don't have a man in your life then check out the dating sites
Listen I have no problem there. Not that it is anybodys business.

darkhorse

I strongly recommend doing what I do, I go to France in or around December 18, earlier if the office Christmas party is earlier, and return early in the new year. The French do not do the vulgar, conspicuous consumption prevalent in Ireland, UK and US, wonderful seafood Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas day a ramble, a glass, a ramble, a glass, a ramble, lunch, nap dinner, sleep, rinse and repeat.
I agree
The Irish Christmas is way over the top
You cant go anywhere either the taxis are booked out or the pubs and restaurants are full and parties everywhere
But still France is dead at Christmas, sadly they have dropped their religion and don't celebrate that festival anymore
So overall Ireland is better - a million times over

New Threads

Most Replies