• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

How do Northerners feel about Southerners?

Drogheda445

In this age of relative peace and gradual integration and collaboration, many of the attitudes that certain groups would have felt for each other have almost certainly transformed, not just in terms of those in Northern Ireland but across the entire archipelago as well. The once fairly turbulent and at times resentful opinion that many in the Republic would have felt for the UK has subsided significantly, and now relations appear to be very friendly. The opinion of Southerners towards Northern Ireland has also changed as far as I can tell. From the opinions that I have heard, Northern Ireland would once have been regarded as a no-go area in which the two irreconcilable communities fostered bitter hatred towards each other and sectarian violence was rampant, the "Black North" as it was sometimes called. Now that opinion has also changed dramatically, and now it appears to be seen as a welcoming and above all peaceful place.

I'm interested to know how people from both communities view the Republic and the people who live there. It is true that for many years the idea of an "outside interference" played a huge role in how unionism viewed the Republic, but has that changed? And do nationalists now feel cut off or unhappy about the seemingly indifferent nature of most parties in the south towards a UI?

Forgive me if my post appears to be too generalised or stereotyped, these are just the opinions of people whom I have come across and have discussed this with.

Swords Hoopster

Assort these words in order: OF............WORMS...........CAN

bona na croin

How do Northerners feel about Southerners?
Speaking as a geographical Northerner, I am not a fan of the accents South of Donegal, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh, and Down. Any chance of ya's making them more like ours?!

Narcissist

You have a lot of making up to do for unleashing Jedward onto the world but bar that we're on good terms.

We're all Irish after all.

J

Johnny Boy

You have a lot of making up to do for unleashing Jedward onto the world but bar that we're on good terms.

We're all Irish after all.
Talking of Jedward, one thing that astonishes me is how so many people in the Republic are actually bothered by the outcome of the Eurovision Song Contest.

bona na croin

**cough**Roy 'It's good, but it's not right' Walker**cough**

Ok, you win this round.

C

Castle Ray

You're all grand down there these days, to be sure to be sure.

bona na croin

You're all grand down there these days, to be sure to be sure.
So you would actually care if slaughtered each other over sheep, cattle, and field issues?!

Narcissist

Talking of Jedward, one thing that astonishes me is how so many people in the Republic are actually bothered by the outcome of the Eurovision Song Contest.
They sure looked bothered when 'my lovely horse' got the nod anyway...

J

Johnny Boy

They sure looked bothered when 'my lovely horse' got the nod anyway...
While we're on the Father Ted jokes, I hear that Cardinal Keith O'Brien is to be punished for his misdemeanors - he's been ordered by the Papal Nuncio to kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!

Ó Donnchadha

Northerners views Southerners as dumb as a bag of fecking rocks. Opps wrong country. :lol:

physicist

If you can tolerate a handful of shenanigans of the DUP in the North, there is virtually no cultural, social or even economic difference (both littered with closed shops ... no different than Northern England or Scotland either), nothing really to make a fuss over.

devonish

Tend to agree with the Physicist, although I find people in the RoI much more laid back, particularly in the west, we're a bit more up tight. The reality is that people throughout these islands have far more in common with each other than they do with say the French or the Germans.

physicist

Tend to agree with the Physicist, although I find people in the RoI much more laid back, particularly in the west, we're a bit more up tight. The reality is that people throughout these islands have far more in common with each other than they do with say the French or the Germans.
I don't even consider the wide French culture to be foreign, they've been part of the British-Irish cultural immersion pretty much since there was a British-Irish cultural immersion and every year since.

Last edited: