How do the media get access to internal Garda reports?

stripey cat

This weekend we saw the contents of an internal Garda report splashed all over the Sunday newspapers.

How can this happen, and why is nobody calling for an investigation into it?

B

birthday

FF have looked after Gardai very well over the years, what with being able to retire at 50 with pension pot worth over one million!!
I suppose you could say that they are owed a few favours!

Tomas Mor

very simple, they are leaked by the Gardai, or maybe someone in Dept.of Justice. Some journo hacks have also ready access to Gardai who in turn use them to plant stories about criminals etc. V Browne keeps referring to this all the time. One Garda last year was convicted for such leaking.

eoghanacht

I bet Trevor Sargent wondered the same thing, we live in a corrupt little island.

stripey cat

So why aren't the opposition kicking up about this?

Or is it acceptable in this state for the Garda to be used politically this way?

eoghanacht

Or is it acceptable in this state for the Garda to be used politically this way?
Busy week, too busy watching FF implode.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
The Gardai have been the weapon for the far right wing and FG in this country ever since they signed up for those free blue shirts in the newly formed Free State.

The dogs on the street know the links between FG and the Gardai. It's in their blood.*

* Yes, that may be nonsense, but it's as sensible as the whole theory that they are in the pay of FF.

inchicore_republican

It has being going on for years. Paul Williams and Jim Cusack have many contacts in the Garda who regularly give them reports and stories to print but most of it is just ************************ stirring.

stripey cat

it's as sensible as the whole theory that they are in the pay of FF.
Do you believe it was a coincidence that the drunk FG'er story appeared immediately after Garglegate ?

Do you think it's acceptable that the Garda or the Dept of Justice can leak things things in this way?

Tomas Mor

Opposition cant complain about it as it would be seen as shooting messenger. But surely in any so called democracy the garda commissioner or ombudsman should open a self starting investigation without a complaint being made. Maybe Paul Gogarty might walk into a garda station with cameras rolling !:roll:

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Do you believe it was a coincidence that the drunk FG'er story appeared immediately after Garglegate ?
No.

But that is completely different to the allegation that they work for FF.

Do you think it's acceptable that the Garda or the Dept of Justice can leak things things in this way?
No.

Asparagus

No.

No.

Do you not think therefore that it is the government's responsibility to compel the minister for Justice to investigate how an internal garda report was leaked to the press?

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Do you not think therefore that it is the government's responsibility to compel the minister for Justice to investigate how an internal garda report was leaked to the press?
No.

I presume it is the individuals right to bring the matter to the attention of the Garda Complaints Board though.

Not sure it is for the State to pursue every allegation of breach of an individual's right to privacy. We'd have 1001 investigations just to cover a few weeks of Paul Williams articles. A Garda once told my mum that he thought I was raiding orchards, should the State have intervened and asserted my right to privacy?

culmore

just a case of history repeating it self, tit for tat, Cowan/sheehan
as I said history reaeating itself Nero fiddles while rome burns - cowan drinks while the country is being washed under.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
cowan drinks while the country is being washed under.
I'm not sure that is an entirely accurate summary. It's a bit tabloidesque.

One could equally glibly observe that he should up it to a bottle of brandy a day, smoke cigars, make a few V signs, and then we'd fight them in the beaches etc. etc.

pujols

Would the guard in question not have been entitled to a copy of the report under the FOI Act? It concerned her.

cricket

The OP might as well put us out of our misery and tell us what the contents of the internal report were

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Would the guard in question not have been entitled to a copy of the report under the FOI Act? It concerned her.
Surely this is in breach of site rules?

I think a poster should not be allowed to put up calm, reasonable explanations when there are perfectly insane conspiracy theories floating around. And I still think my theory that FG is in the blood of Gardai is valid...

Asparagus

No.

I presume it is the individuals right to bring the matter to the attention of the Garda Complaints Board though.

Not sure it is for the State to pursue every allegation of breach of an individual's right to privacy. We'd have 1001 investigations just to cover a few weeks of Paul Williams articles. A Garda once told my mum that he thought I was raiding orchards, should the State have intervened and asserted my right to privacy?
I think this goes beyond a right to individual privacy - this is the gardai effectivly breaking its pact of confidentiallity and responsible authority with the public.

Perhaps if we start with this one and prosecute the people responsible to the full power of the law it will help deter others leaking information to the press.

Unchecked it just erodes public faith in our political and law enforcement agencies..

I mean some people think our minister for justice or collegues leaked it or ordered it be leaked as a revenge for simon coveneys tweet - and that can't be allowed to be even remotely plausible - right.

I think the minister for justice should launch an investigation to clear him and his department from any wrongdoing.
Don't you.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies