• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

How do you feel about your neighbours stealing your electricity causing price rises?

IbrahaimMohamad

BBC's Spotlight looked at the problem of Electricity theft north and south of the border last night. The scale of the problem is increasing rapidly, costing consumers tens of millions which suppliers add to consumers bills.

There is also evidence that commercial customers are stealing electricity. Typically this is done by either meter tampering or bypassing the meter all together. Some methods are very sophisticated and difficult to detect.

Do power companies prefer to keep the problem quiet and simply hike bills to cover losses? In Northern Ireland customers who repay the losses escape prosecution.

BBC iPlayer - Spotlight: 26/02/2013

ESB meter tampering rife

An inspection in Spain found that 1/6th of electricity installations were fraudulent recently

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2013/01/06/sixth-of-all-electricity-connections-are-fraudulent-in-spain/

Last edited:

cabledude

You must really hate your neighbors.

A couple of weeks ago you started a thread asking how will people feel having to pay for their neighbors mortgage writedowns.

Now you are asking about neighbors stealing electricity.

What next Bob?

ruserious

There is more electricity being wasted on starting all your threads.

ManInTheArena

Perhaps you should take your own religion's advice on this:

"As for the neighbor, Allah, may He be exalted, has ordered us, in His book through His Prophet, to protect our neighbor, to respect his rights and to care about his welfare"

dizillusioned

Maybe he/she is part of those neighbours who are fighting on the North Circular..;)

Cornholio

You must really hate your neighbors.

A couple of weeks ago you started a thread asking how will people feel having to pay for their neighbors mortgage writedowns.

Now you are asking about neighbors stealing electricity.

What next Bob?

Maybe we should encourage neighbour to spy on neighbour. That couldnt possibly be bad?

B

Boggle

I'd rather they stole it than went cold.

If we are to worry about paying for electricity, how about switching off or reducing streetlights at night? No need to have the place bright enough to read a book.

IbrahaimMohamad

I'd rather they stole it than went cold.

If we are to worry about paying for electricity, how about switching off or reducing streetlights at night? No need to have the place bright enough to read a book.
Why do you assume only the poor would steal electricity.

The Spotlight program reckoned all social classes engage in electricity fraud!

B

Boggle

Why do you assume only the poor would steal electricity.

The Spotlight program reckoned all social classes engage in electricity fraud!
Because all social classes can be poor. Some just feel the need to hide it more than others.

However, if they are stealing for the fun of it I'd have no sympathy but I'd doubt that many do.

Mackers

I'd be more concerned at the Electric suppliers putting the price up every time someone spills a can of 3inOne oil. Thus in so doing extorting money with menaces. I think I've lived long enough on this planet to know that if no one stole electric on these companies they would still be ripping all of us off without any compuntion whatsoever.