How Do You View Our Celtic Cousins and The 'Bond' Between Us?

General Urko

This question has occurred to me while watching The Champions League Final in Cardiff, in a sense probably the closest, we will get to hosting it outside of Manchester!
Do you feel any common bond with The Scotz, Welsh, Manx or Cornish or Bretons?
I feel a certain regard for normal non sectarian Scots People and hope they get their independence.
When I was in Cardiff, I found the natives to be quite pleasant and respectful and en masse without a shadow, the ugliest looking people, I have ever seen, even worse than us!
My view on Wales is also coloured by the ass hole scum of the earth 'Security' Personnel, we sometimes have to encounter at Hollyhead, I actually reckon they take out having to live in that Shytehole on Paddys with their intense Hibernophobia!
I can't really speak aboout Cornwall, Isle of Man or Britanny.
My understanding is that the bond between Celts were more linguistically based than anything else, so with your coupla Focail, can you understand Welsh?

Telstar 62

The most obvious 'bond' is that they all resent
the more successful English.:cool:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I like the Welsh and find them a friendly people. One can't generalise by way of security personnel who in turn have to deal with all sorts of clowns among the passing throng from day to day.

Quite enjoyed times I've been in Wales. The ladies are friendly. I can say that alright. The scots I find a bit more standoffish.

Only met a couple of three-leggers in the Manx and they were friendly sorts and you could in fact see and hear the Celt in them.

One Cornish lad I knew who was good fun and a friendly sort. Met a few Bretons and they too seemed to be a very warm kind of people.

Gin Soaked

My view on Wales is also coloured by the ass hole scum of the earth 'Security' Personnel, we sometimes have to encounter at Hollyhead, I actually reckon they take out having to live in that Shytehole on Paddys with their intense Hibernophobia!
Only went through Holyhead once, I find your assessment of the place fair, but I did not encounter any security personnel as I was driving a UK registered car...

As for common bond, nope. More with the English as they tend to have interbred more with us, and we (as a people)went there to work, whereas Scotland, not so much, and, who emigrates TO Wales...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There are traces of respect for the old traditions of being seen to be welcoming and good hosts in the celtic peoples I think.

Similar to Ireland which has always had an image of being great at being hosts but that too goes back a long way as it was part of our laws to be hospitable before the anglo-norman legal system was adopted.

The stories are legion in Ireland of a couple of generations back when someone may have wrongly identified a link to a place or family and only discovering the error later- and realising that the Irish hosts may have been well aware and just too polite to say anything.

To be known as poor hosts and unfriendly was a dreadful prospect in our culture for a long time and it was the same with the Welsh and most other celtic nations. Don't get me wrong in that there was nothing remiss in knocking seven bells of sh1te out of each other under agreed conditions either but the hosting thing and the fear of being seen as mean in spirit towards guests was a lively deterrent under most civilised conditions.

runwiththewind

No affinity whatsoever apart from the Bretons, who actually like us and our culture. So much so, they have a few Gaelic football teams of their own make up entirely of Bretons.

GDPR

I wouldnt say there is any such thing as pan-Celticism much like pan-Slavism is and was a total pipe-dream.

There is an "Anglo-Saxon" world sphere, but it is neither Anglo nor Saxon in the root sense of those terms.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is a bad game to go back counting grudges and adding the half-pence to the pence in the column marked outrage.

Deadlock

My understanding is that the bond between Celts were more linguistically based than anything else, so with your coupla Focail, can you understand Welsh?
Not especially, but I do notice the similarlity between Erse, Goidhleic and Manx.
Cultural affinities closest with the Bretons - through the music especially. Then probably the Galicians.
Don't know any Welsh or Cornish.
I have to say I find the Scots I knew to be oddly preoccupied with religion, and they absolutely refused to believe a person can profess no religious faith at all. Not a huge fan.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We were stealing from the Welsh and enslaving their villagers in the same way they did to us for many hundreds of years.

The ink of those ledgers faded long ago.

Cruimh

This question has occurred to me while watching The Champions League Final in Cardiff, in a sense probably the closest, we will get to hosting it outside of Manchester!
I feel a certain regard for normal non sectarian Scots People and hope they get their independence.
When I was in Cardiff, I found the natives to be quite pleasant and respectful and en masse without a shadow, the ugliest looking people, I have ever seen, even worse than us!
I can't really speak aboout Cornwall, Isle of Man or Britanny.
Christ - have we not learned from the Aryan Codology that Racism is wrong?

Ireniall

I like the Welsh and find them a friendly people. One can't generalise by way of security personnel who in turn have to deal with all sorts of clowns among the passing throng from day to day.

Quite enjoyed times I've been in Wales. The ladies are friendly. I can say that alright. The scots I find a bit more standoffish.

Only met a couple of three-leggers in the Manx and they were friendly sorts and you could in fact see and hear the Celt in them.

One Cornish lad I knew who was good fun and a friendly sort. Met a few Bretons and they too seemed to be a very warm kind of people.
The Welsh are generally alright but those customs fukks in Holyhead would sicken your arsse. In the days before the Euro none of the petrol stations on the road to the port would give us a tenner of petrol in Irish punts to get us there. We had changed our money in Belgium straight to punts since we were just driving through Britain and we were running on fumes for the last few miles. Eventually a daycent member of the public swopped with us. He was Welsh too so you can make up your own mind

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Not especially, but I do notice the similarlity between Erse, Goidhleic and Manx.
Cultural affinities closest with the Bretons - through the music especially. Then probably the Galicians.
Don't know any Welsh or Cornish.
I have to say I find the Scots I knew to be oddly preoccupied with religion, and they absolutely refused to believe a person can profess no religious faith at all. Not a huge fan.
Yes, I must say I found the Scots I've met whenever up there to be quite cold fish. Not unfriendly so much but not as likely to unwind in acquaintance as the other celts. Hard to generalise though and the lowland scots are said to be very different from the hielanders.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The Welsh are generally alright but those customs fukks in Holyhead would sicken your arsse. In the days before the Euro none of the petrol stations on the road to the port would give us a tenner of petrol in Irish punts to get us there. We had changed our money in Belgium straight to punts since we were just driving through Britain and we were running on fumes for the last few miles. Eventually a daycent member of the public swopped with us. He was Welsh too so you can make up your own mind
Well you wouldn't want people making up their minds about the Irish from the demeanour of people manning passport, customs or entrypoints to Ireland either.

Dealing with the public has an effect on people and would make anyone gloomy and unhelpful after a while. There should be laws about rest periods from the general public for mental health reasons alone.

D

Deleted member 45466

We were stealing from the Welsh and enslaving their villagers in the same way they did to us for many hundreds of years.

The ink of those ledgers faded long ago.
Exactly. There's no such thing as a "Celtic bond", just good people and bad people.

Close the thread.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies