• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

How Do You View Our Relationship With Britain Today?

Zach Dingle

I suppose to adequately describe it, a single individual would have to be a psychologist, sociologist, historian, political scientist, media watcher and many other things all rolled into one as it is a very complex one! but I would love to hear your views! I never lived there but have traveled to most major British cites and know Manchester particularly well! I have almost invariably found that I was treated very well by ordinary English people and not regarded as a foreigner at all. My father who was over there working in the 60s and early 70s certainly remembers the infamous signs!
I was brought up on English television following English football and reading English comics and of course speaking their tongue! The relationship which I feel should exist between us and that lot is that of the 2 closest possible nations and I feel in many ways that is exactly the one we have, at least between our peoples!
I was annoyed in a sectarian/racist fashion on one occasion In Glasgow!
I would love a chunnel tunnel between us but our railway gauges are different, it would be a lot better to build 3 such tunnels than flush all that money down the Anglo Irish Bank (ironically titled, given this thread) toilet! I throw it open to your good selves!
By the by we are the biggest minority in Britain and they are the biggest minority here! we are inextricably linked whether we love it or hate it! It was brought home to me during John Joe Nevin's gold medal fight with the English lad, the later deservedly winning, despite a valiant effort by our boy, as both of their families knew each other! Also when we bet them in the 6 nations 19-13 just after they had been deservedly crowned world champions!

DavidCaldwell

Many (1/6 or so) of us English are secret East Irish - Irish grandparents, great-grandparents etc.

Zach Dingle

Are any 2 countries closer? Certainly not USA and Canada or OZ and NZ? Germany and Austria/Switzerland?

FrankSpeaks

The relationship is very good and cordial. I am sure we will have the ultra nationalists ass-holes (extreme minority in Ireland) on here shortly with quotes like:

Fukk the Queen, Brits Out, Kill the Brits etc.................

Little_Korean

Main trading partners with each other soooo...pretty close.

British channels over here on TV, constant travel between the two countries...again, close.

Zach Dingle

The relationship is very good and cordial. I am sure we will have the ultra nationalists ass-holes (extreme minority in Ireland) on here shortly with quotes like:

Unfortunately, we do have a few redneck ass holes in this country, in fairness, The Brits have 1 or 2 as well eg Nick Griffin, Oxford graduate, must be of Irish descent and MEP and head of the BNP!

Zach Dingle

Amazingly, most Irish people who feel the need to utter such insane rubbish have never even been there and in what ever form of Tourettes they are making us endure portray a distinct form of social retardation!

former wesleyan

" remembers the signs " ZacK ????

I remember that the Irish in London had some clout in several industries.

firefly123

I get the feeling that the olympics has been a real catlyst for goodwill towards Britain here. I was in a bar when Mo Farah won his race and the place was screaming for him. It's the first time I've seen that (except for premiership football).
Queenies visit was also a turning point. Whether we like it or not we have the most in common with our British Neighbours (although we are more craic at parties!!).

Heligoland

[...] a very complex one! [...]your views! [...]Manchester particularly well! [...]infamous signs!
[...] tongue! [...] our peoples!
[...] one occasion In Glasgow!
toilet! [...] good selves!

[...] minority here! [...] hate it! [...] knew each other! [...]world champions!
This is a full stop: .

This is an exclamation mark: !

Zach Dingle

I get the feeling that the olympics has been a real catlyst for goodwill towards Britain here. I was in a bar when Mo Farah won his race and the place was screaming for him. It's the first time I've seen that (except for premiership football).
Queenies visit was also a turning point. Whether we like it or not we have the most in common with our British Neighbours (although we are more craic at parties!!).
When London got the olympics the vast majority of us were delighted for them and it was highly symbolic of how far we have come together! It's as if it was our olympics too, unless President Gay mitchell wants to get get his famous cousin, FG Buddies and Dennis to contribute a few pounds to build stadia and infrastructure! A small donation from each should suffice!
Also the London bombings happened the next day and we were quite correctly horrified by them as any sane people would be!
The only issue I had with HRH's visit was the overtime our police squeezed out of it, a tenth of their presence would have been quite sufficient!

Dorcha

I've never had any bad feelings about the English - in spite of the fearsome history books that were used to teach us. I could never understand the way Irish supporters always cheered on England's opponents (if we weren't playing them, I would prefer them to win), although I suppose it's no different than the "hatred" between Man United and Man City (I could never understand that either)

I know most of them have very little knowledge about us (I see examples of it daily),but it doesn't upset me; I actually find it amusing that we seem to know more about them than they know about us

Last edited:

DavidCaldwell

The relationship is close, but asymmetric. Largely because of differences of size and political power in the past, the English view Ireland rather differently to the way the Irish view England.

You might summarise the English view as being that the overall unit is these islands, with the various parts having their own perculiarities e.g.
West Country - Cream Teas
Wales - very keen on rugby; devolved government
Glasgow - violent
Republic of Ireland - independent government
NI - the Troubles
London - the Underground

i.e. that the Republic is a part of a natural, wider unit (these islands) that just happens (for historical reasons) to have its own independent government.

The Unionist tradition in Ireland might see things in a rather similar way, but of course, for the Nationalist tradition, independence is not a detail - it is hugely important.

Perhaps the situation could be summarised by saying that both points of view are largely correct. I believe there is no contradiction - Irish people can be proud citizens of an independent Ireland and also see themselves as part of the wider community of people living on these islands, taking pride in what has been achieved here - the Book of Kells, the Magna Carta, Handel's Messiah, Newton, Dirac, Hume, Shaw, Joyce etc. And of course we should remember that there is a community, an identity that is actually more important than either - that of Global civilisation.

PS - apologies to any Glaswegians for stereotyping the city of Charles Rennie Macintosh.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies