• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

How does your TD vote?

ibis

Just out of divilment, and after a conversation with an English friend who couldn't believe the way TDs voted wasn't a major part of their 'record' as it is in the UK - do any of you know how your TDs vote in the Dáil? More saliently, do any of you care?

[EDIT]Just to clarify for He3, this is about Dáil voting records, since TDs vote in referendums only as private citizens.[/EDIT]

He3

Most of them say they voted Yes.

[Edit: now that the OP has been changed to refer only to Dáil votes, my answer here has been elided]

Last edited:

Bobert

Off course. The government TDs voted for their proposals and the opposition voted against it.

ibis

Off course. The government TDs voted for their proposals and the opposition voted against it.
Exactly so. Does this not bother people at all? Would it not worry someone who voted for, say, Chris Andrews, that Chris is 'resolutely opposed' to the Ringsend incinerator, but will, of course, vote for it when it is presented by the government?

Bobert

Well no, because there is no need for it. We know how the vote by virtue of knowing where in the room they sit.

Ideally what we need is a review of the parliamentary system. Or, to save some time, just make voting anonymous. I imagine we'd see quite a difference in voting patterns were it so.

Well no, because there is no need for it. We know how the vote by virtue of knowing where in the room they sit.

Ideally what we need is a review of the parliamentary system. Or, to save some time, just make voting anonymous. I imagine we'd see quite a difference in voting patterns were it so.
That's true, but it defeats the purpose.

If TD's vote anonymously then how do you think we can make judgements based on their voting history?

It makes no sense.

ibis

Last edited:

Bobert

That's true, but it defeats the purpose.

If TD's vote anonymously then how do you think we can make judgements based on their voting history?

It makes no sense.
Touché good sir...

Looks like it's back to redrawing the Constitution then.

wysiwyg

Exactly so. Does this not bother people at all? Would it not worry someone who voted for, say, Chris Andrews, that Chris is 'resolutely opposed' to the Ringsend incinerator, but will, of course, vote for it when it is presented by the government?
not if a letter from Chris is enough to secure a medical card for Granny (that she was entitled to in any case)

Bobert

It's only that, as Bobert says, there's no point. We know how they vote by where they sit. Why is that acceptable?
Because we voted for them to sit there.

ibis

Because we voted for them to sit there.
So nobody ever votes for an individual TD on the basis of what that TD actually claims to stand for? Why have a TD at all, then - why not just vote for FF to have x many seats without bothering to fill them?

Bobert

So nobody ever votes for an individual TD on the basis of what that TD actually claims to stand for? Why have a TD at all, then - why not just vote for FF to have x many seats without bothering to fill them?
Maybe for an independent. Except for in the case of Jackie Healy Rae who I imagine is elected on the basis that the voters know he will enter a government with Fianna Fail.

As for why we should have a TD, I think that's stepping away from the OP. We need to vote for individual TDs so to give parties the chance to form a government.

Bobert

Hazlitt

Oh, I can get you TDs voting records, and put them up online. Takes a bit of work, but I've done it before, so I already have them up to 2006.

It's only that, as Bobert says, there's no point. We know how they vote by where they sit. Why is that acceptable?
Rhetorical question I assume. It's not acceptable. It is understandable, but that doesn't make it right or mean we have to like it.

I personally think that if people had a resource from which they could find out their TD's stance on a range of policy issues, then they can vote on that basis rather than the typical party-lines. It could plant the seeds of issue-based politics as opposed to party-based. I can only speak for myself, but if I had such information at my disposal I would certainly avail of it.

If you could make the information available ibis I for one would be much obliged, as I'm sure many other members would be.

ibis

Rhetorical question I assume. It's not acceptable. It is understandable, but that doesn't make it right or mean we have to like it.

I personally think that if people had a resource from which they could find out their TD's stance on a range of policy issues, then they can vote on that basis rather than the typical party-lines. It could plant the seeds of issue-based politics as opposed to party-based. I can only speak for myself, but if I had such information at my disposal I would certainly avail of it.

If you could make the information available ibis I for one would be much obliged, as I'm sure many other members would be.
OK, I'll let you know, because I'd rather put it up in the form of web pages if I can.

euroboy

I thought they voted electronically and and only vote via walking on special occassions, e.g. electing a taoiseacht.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies