How far do you think that gender relations on P.ie reflect the actual social reality in the ROI?

GDPR

It seems very often to me that there is no point in discussing issues relating to gender on P.ie because they nearly always degenerate into bitterness, irrationality, etc. If I was to take my understanding of relations between the genders in the ROI from P.ie I could only come to conclusion that they were in a terrible state. However looking around in "real life" outside the horrific murder of a mum and her kids by their husband and father and the their town's reaction to that in the midlands gender relations don't seem that bad here at all; is that me living in a bubble or is P.ie actually a fair reflection of gender relations? Or is the truth of things somewhere in the middle?

Henry94.

P.ie is not a reflection of anything in society. No talkboard based around one thing could possibly be. At its best it was a place where you could get better information and analysis then you'd see in the media. Those days are gone unfortunately. Probably a victim of Twitter as much as anything. Now it's pretty much ideologically committed people making the same arguments over and over again.

Adrian_Wainer

It seems very often to me that there is no point in discussing issues relating to gender on P.ie because they nearly always degenerate into bitterness, irrationality, etc. If I was to take my understanding of relations between the genders in the ROI from P.ie I could only come to conclusion that they were in a terrible state. However looking around in "real life" outside the horrific murder of a mum and her kids by their husband and father and the their town's reaction to that in the midlands gender relations don't seem that bad here at all; is that me living in a bubble or is P.ie actually a fair reflection of gender relations? Or is the truth of things somewhere in the middle?
Internet social media postings represent the views of the people who post on them, which may or may not be representative of the wider society.

Lonewolfe

P.ie, for the most part, thankfully is not a true reflection of anything remotely "real".

Something happens when some people go online, similar to road ragers getting behind the wheel of a car, which sees them act in ways that would be totally unacceptable in any other circumstance.

Some of the vile views and language expressed here (such as your own "Jewess") are NEVER uttered in the "real world" because different rules apply there.

This place is a virtual sub conscious of nightmares, fantasies and all manner of crazy.

Adrian_Wainer

P.ie is not a reflection of anything in society. No talkboard based around one thing could possibly be. At its best it was a place where you could get better information and analysis then you'd see in the media. Those days are gone unfortunately. Probably a victim of Twitter as much as anything. Now it's pretty much ideologically committed people making the same arguments over and over again.
P.ie was at one time an impressive site will a lot of traffic and some very good postings. I suspect there may have been problems with the moderation historically. That can kill a site. e.g. many of the posters on Twitter are ex Facebook which were driven out of Facebook by Facebook's Moderation's leftist skewing. Additionally on the Boards I think a right wing poster could maybe do four posting before getting banned.

GDPR

P.ie was at one time an impressive site will a lot of traffic and some very good postings. I suspect there may have been problems with the moderation historically. That can kill a site. e.g. many of the posters on Twitter are ex Facebook which were driven out of Facebook by Facebook's Moderation's leftist skewing. Additionally on the Boards I think a right wing poster could maybe do four posting before getting banned.
I think it's time to stop using the terms right and left wing they are ceasing more each day to useful terms of reference. Boards.ie is militantly Anti-Christian however it is also pretty Anti-Shinner and I doubt an old style Communist would last long there either. It represents the consensus of Fine Gael and FG are a right wing economically party.

greengoose2

What is wrong with the term Jewess? :confused:
Who cares? His point was:

Some of the vile views and language expressed here (such as your own "Jewess") are NEVER uttered in the "real world" because different rules apply there.
If a woman is of the Jewish persuasion she will be Jewish. If she is christian she may be a Catholic, a Protestant or even a Baptist. Such is language...

Volatire

This may be only way to deal with a quango stuffed with political appointments and hidden agendas.

And they said DJT was all bluster...

GDPR

I don't think there's any great difficulty between the original two that a bit of mutual respect wouldn't cure, here or in the real world, but the "mutual" thing is really important there.

That said on the issue of shopping, for Christs sake ladies, get your f*cking act together there, will you, please!!

Trainwreck

This is my view.

On the intersectional feminist side, P.ie fairly represents the nature and incidence of lunatic views expressed more widely in the media and elsewhere.

On the opposing side, we witness an articulation of views that are suppressed (and oppressed) in the media and elsewhere as "unacceptable".

So P.ie is entirely representative of what people think, but in the wider, attributable, world only one side of that discourse dare murmur.

between the bridges

I'm nice to posters here but I beat my partner at home.
Expecting posters to believe ye have a partner to beat is stretching things...

Windowshopper

Another day another "ratio" thread.

Mercurial

P.ie is in no way reflective of the real world, on pretty much any issue.

New Threads

Most Replies