How fine is the line between savagery and civilization ?

gerhard dengler

I think they are very far apart. There may be a lot of savagery in the world but there is also a lot of good. I suppose it depends on your definition of savagery. General Urko thinks a little pushing and shoving....handbag stuff essentially..... is savagery. I think the linked pieces in the OP are more to savage than the clip of the tinkers with the laptop. But maybe that's just me.

I see civility every day. Nothing major mind, but many neighbourly and kind acts every day. I have met some very charitable people too. Not long ago I had the great privilege to meet a couple of Dublin lads who, over the past few years, have raised about 800K for various charitable causes around the world. These guys give up stacks of their time to do this. I also lend some of my time in work to the company's charitable foundation and the amount of work, good will and effort given to chariatable organisations, and received from same around the wo5rld is very heartening.

So you could easily wallow in the savagery. By nature we sink to the lowest common denominator, but if you step back and think about it, you will surely see there is quite an amount of good in the world too. Which is there more of, I would like to think goodness, but its Friday and I'm in a good mood.
You make several good points here. There is a lot of good done throughout our society which people generally are not aware of.
For example last Saturday night I was out in Dublin City centre. As you know we have far too many people with no choice but to live on our streets.
Being the designated driver that I am these days, I was able to observe a group from Portlaoise quietly and unobtrusively handing out warm drinks and sandwiches and some basic toiletries to folks sleeping in the doorways throughout our city centre.

I was very impressed that a group like that would take time out of their own lives to travel a round trip of what, 100 miles?, and to give up their own Saturday night to help people less fortunate than themselves.

Of course you won't hear this - and countless other acts of generosity - being reported in our media.

We don't have to do the bigger gestures to make an impact though. By keeping the peace and doing small acts of generosity too each of us can contribute to making this a better society.

Crack hoe

No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavours are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united Cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

Education

Analyzer

The ISIS Times is liable to mix the two concepts up.

tsarbomb

I think some of the examples in the op are inaccurate. Also Steven Pinker's research has an awful lot of problems in it. He consistently engages in selection bias.....there is no proof that humans are getting more less or more violent.

slippy wicket

Is this the "civilisation" which believes it is a human right to attack mutilitate and kill other defenceless unborn human life?
If that is the bench mark then I would say there is no visible line.
There is more to the world than your creepy gravid obsessions.

GDPR

As the growth & availability of abortion in the "civilised" world shows, the line is very fine indeed.

Once something is in your selfish interest all you have to do is convince yourself that morals have no part to play and as you're already predisposed, that's a bit of a doddle.

Polly Ticks

Civilization vs savagery = vulgar categories that reflect a savage, primitive and dualistic worldview.

While such simple distinctions are touching and quaint --and serve the essential, egotistical purpose of allowing those that consider themselves to be "civilized" to turn their nose up at savage outsiders-- they are of little fooking use.

GDPR

Civilization vs savagery = vulgar categories that reflect a savage, primitive and dualistic worldview.

While such simple distinctions are touching and quaint --and serve the essential, egotistical purpose of allowing those that consider themselves to be "civilized" to turn their nose up at savage outsiders-- they are of little fooking use.
+ 1000

ger12

How fine is the line between savagery and civilization ?

Abortion crosses it for me, and in all the "respectable" and "civilised" countries.

GDPR

cYp, honey, more dolphin sex please ...

You've got very prim and proper recently.

Dearghoul

Hold on a minute, the distinctions may be touching and quaint all you like, but if they also reflect, among other things a savage worldview, then you might at least let us know how Johnny civilized gets to be both.

Not like he doesn't have enough benefits.

GDPR

Here's some anecdotal evidence:

cYp
Sophocles put the dividing line between the savage and the civilized man as willingness of the civilized man to allow the enemy to bury their dead. Obama declared that the West is no longer civilized by disappearing the bodies of Gaddafi and Bin Laden.

drummed

Sophocles put the dividing line between the savage and the civilized man as willingness of the civilized man to allow the enemy to bury their dead. Obama declared that the West is no longer civilized by disappearing the bodies of Gaddafi and Bin Laden.
Its essentially a constant struggle between civilisation and fasco-communism.

The fasco-communists disappeared the bodies of the Tsar and the royal family.

Dearghoul

Sophistry as always. Sophocles was a little pessimistic in accepting that civilized man would always have enemies of its own species.

GDPR

Sophistry as always. Sophocles was a little pessimistic in accepting that civilized man would always have enemies of its own species.
Yes, but the civilized man doesn't return to savagery - as Obama has done.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies