How Has The Economic Crisis Impacted You ??

Harry700

Would be interested to hear how the Irish economic crisis has personally affected people on the Forum i.e. financially, socially, mentally, retirement et cetera ???

For me, the biggest blow was losing almost 350,000 Euro which my family has invested in Irish bank shares & was earmarked as retirement funds. Also, we have a small private company & had to let a third of our employees go - heartbreaking !!!

Harry

Kai123

Me and my girlfriend earn around 18k each. We dont smoke or drink and are pretty sensible. So far the crisis has not effected us at all.

If we were to take a 10% of our weekly wages (around E37) we would survive and still be able to spend money on ourselves. If either one of us lost our jobs, even with social welfare we would fall very hard.

We are definitely secure for the short term. I am worried about how all of this is going down and trying to figure out the best way to keep my money safe. I have all of my savings in the local CU which seems to be doing very well. I'm tempted to ask my employer to pay me in cash so I can lodge all of it into my CU and pop up to the post office to pay the bills.

Kai.

Mister men

Hugely. My business has gone and i'm emigrating in January.

Expose the lot of them

The company I worked for was forced to introduce in the following order, paycuts, short time working followed by redundancies. I was one of those whose job was made redundant and despite my best efforts have been unable to secure alternative paid employment.

The very small pension pot I had is worthless and what savings I had are gone, they were used to pay car and household tax and insurance, car tax, etc. God knows what will happen when these come up for renewal in the new year.

I am now reduced to trying to survive on €196 per week and am regarded as a sponger and a leech on society by certain elements who post here.

PAD1OH

my partner lost her job. we don't have a mortgage and we're not likely to afford one for a v. long time.

one brother and another sister in law lost their jobs. They had relatively senior positions and are struggling to find work and are adjusting to the dole.

Overall we are still happy and healthy and have been through all this before. We haven't got quite onto me getting my brother hand me down clothes...

the biggest thing that annoys us (apart from the government and banks) and that bring us down is the perpetual negativity from some people especially from those we consider greedy, selfish or irresponsible.

Berty

The company I worked for was forced to introduce in the following order, paycuts, short time working followed by redundancies. I was one of those whose job was made redundant and despite my best efforts have been unable to secure alternative paid employment.

The very small pension pot I had is worthless and what savings I had are gone, they were used to pay car and household tax and insurance, car tax, etc. God knows what will happen when these come up for renewal in the new year.

I am now reduced to trying to survive on €196 per week and am regarded as a sponger and a leech on society by certain elements who post here.
Those who generally call someone on the dole a scrounger might in the very near future be more careful with what they say simply because they might find themselves joining the queue. The amount of money the govt are planning to remove from the economy could possibly have devastating effects on the present workforce. It's a real slash and burn mentality.... I hope I am wrong.:eek:

Social Conscience

Income levy, increased taxes on pretty much everything, 10% pay cut and a growing anger at everything political.

Paddythai

Stuck in traffic today behind a truck with signage saying;
Reduce, reuse, recycle.
That pretty much sums up our survival stratgey.
Very difficult to increase income so reducing on everything.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I'm in the IT sector which is probably the best of a bad lot right now. Our company is expanding.
The only problem is the euro-sterling exchange rate.
We bought our house when 1000 euro cost 600 sterling. Now it costs over 850. We are much worse off. Ironically the threat to the euro comes as good news to us.

Our daughter's special needs assistant may be cut. But who knows, she may flower when left to her own devices. I'll drop down to part-time work to spend more time with her if needs be. We'll get by somehow.

galleyslave

partner lost her job and wasn't entitled to dole because she was self employed in the past.
took a temp pay cut at work.
so far so good despite that but for how long?

Asparagus

I can't get a good sommellier these days.

Frightening times.
Only a jumped up industrialist has need of a sommelier - One should know instinctively through consultation with ones pallet exactly the correct claret to serve.

Squire Allworthy

Sold up most assets except family home and got out. Sitting like a vulture wondering if there will be an opportune time to return.

Harry700

Getting back on track - would be interested to hear from any retirees & how their retirement funds have been impacted over past 2 -3 years, how they are coping plus what they see ahead ???

My family made the massive mistake of trusting the banks & our retirement plans have been significantly affected !!!! On the bright side, I am still slaving away in our business.

Harry

Hillmanhunter1

I'm a 45 years old, married with children, mortgage (not under water), stable employment, earning €100,000 per annum.
I got a job offer from abroad, I'm leaving.

The engine light is on in the car for the last 3 months but I can't afford to get it sorted, I have 22 per day for a family of six for all household food and groceries including baby nappies, zero disposable income after all bills, mortgage & creche paid ( which I suppose is a positive compared to some people). My shoes have holes and leak but I cannot afford to spend the €13 in heatons for a new pair. I have cancelled health insurance, credit union, income continuence.

Ok all this sounds petty enough, the really cost is the pressure that this whole thing is putting on my family life, this huge cloud, my wife is totally stressed out.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies