• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

How has your life been affected by the Coalition government cuts ?

neiphin

https://witness.guardian.co.uk/assignment/516beb30e4b046e93b9623d2

GuardianWitness is the new home of user-generated content on the Guardian. You can contribute your video, pictures and stories, and browse all the news, opinions and creations submitted by others.

This site has of late gone to the dogs, We no longer discuss political events at any great length, treads are allowed to descend into trolling arguments too quickly, at any one time there will be 3 or 4 treads about sf on the front page, in all honesty they are not that important. Today we have a trolling tread about volunteerism and an equally strange one about possible irish population

For this site to be relevent it must be proactive, it must challenge the government on its follies and by equal virtue congrat it on its successes. I have seen many posters of late boast of their hatred for the "left" , this i can understand to a certain extent if the same posters are refering to the handfull of well paid union executives , i carry no candle for these guys either, but the ordinary joe is suffering, not just with wage cuts but also with the lack of and withdrawal of services

In my job i drive alot, last wednesday i came apon 3 different cars at different times broken down, i regurlarly see people walking to the filling station with a jerry can, i see crowds gathered around the reduced section in tesco.
A dear friend of mine told me the other week that he cannot afford to feed both himself and his children
I am watching my friend whom i love like a brother wasting away while he tries to shield his kids from he's reality

i would like contributers on this tread to post pictures and stories that they know first hand to be accurate and true of the collapse in our society, the broken cars , the unfinished estates, the potholed roads, the dumped rubbish in woods and gateways
This is not to kick the government but to embarres them into action

H.R. Haldeman

There are vast, vast swathes of people for whom the recession might as well be happening in Burundi for all it effects them.

Also, a pet bugbear of mine: 90% of the hardship people are feeling is because of job loss or excessive debt, and nothing whatsoever to do with government cuts. "Austerity" has merely become the blanket, go-to phrase to describe all these woes, but it is not generally speaking descriptively correct.

RobertW

There are vast, vast swathes of people for whom the recession might as well be happening in Burundi for all it effects them.
All the nice fancy restaurants are packed in Dublin at the weekends. . . The middle class have been wiped out - It's those who have money and those who don't

Congalltee

It's not the government cuts which have affected me but the income tax rises, property tax, vat increase, robbing of my private pension pot.

wishywashy

Also, a pet bugbear of mine: 90% of the hardship people are feeling is because of job loss or excessive debt, and nothing whatsoever to do with government cuts. "Austerity" has merely become the blanket, go-to phrase to describe all these woes, but it is not generally speaking descriptively correct.

Since when do you speak for "people"?

SPN

Since when do you speak for "people"?
Hurrah!

We got to post #5 before we got an idiotic and irrelevant troll post.

Well done wishywashy. You have won a prize.

Radix

https://witness.guardian.co.uk/assignment/516beb30e4b046e93b9623d2

This site has of late gone to the dogs, We no longer discuss political events at any great length, treads are allowed to descend into trolling arguments too quickly, at any one time there will be 3 or 4 treads about sf on the front page, in all honesty they are not that important. Today we have a trolling tread about volunteerism and an equally strange one about possible irish population

For this site to be relevent it must be proactive, it must challenge the government on its follies and by equal virtue congrat it on its successes. I have seen many posters of late boast of their hatred for the "left" , this i can understand to a certain extent if the same posters are refering to the handfull of well paid union executives , i carry no candle for these guys either, but the ordinary joe is suffering, not just with wage cuts but also with the lack of and withdrawal of services

In my job i drive alot, last wednesday i came apon 3 different cars at different times broken down, i regurlarly see people walking to the filling station with a jerry can, i see crowds gathered around the reduced section in tesco.
A dear friend of mine told me the other week that he cannot afford to feed both himself and his children
I am watching my friend whom i love like a brother wasting away while he tries to shield his kids from he's reality

i would like contributers on this tread to post pictures and stories that they know first hand to be accurate and true of the collapse in our society, the broken cars , the unfinished estates, the potholed roads, the dumped rubbish in woods and gateways

This is not to be smart neiphin, but how did you respond to your friend who is struggling to feed himself and his children?

seabhcan

Very true.

I think I'm hardly effected at all.

I know people who can't get work through no fault of their own - but I also know plenty of people who were - for lack of a better term - totally fecking stupid - with their finances during the tiger years. These are otherwise smart, educated professionals who just lost their freckin' minds when it came to property and are now deep in 'austerity'. Its hard to feel for them.

turdsl

Austerity is slowly strangling our country, Fianna Fail broke our economy,This crowd is
slowly killing the spirit of the people, Unemployment still at 14%, Depending on inflation
and growth, not a sign of either.Foreign land our only solution,Shops in every town in Ireland boarded up. The only ones packed at the moment are the soup kitchens,

neiphin

This is not to be smart neiphin, but how did you respond to your friend who is struggling to feed himself and his children?
pride is an awful thing,

freewillie

Austerity is slowly strangling our country, Fianna Fail broke our economy,This crowd is
slowly killing the spirit of the people, Unemployment still at 14%, Depending on inflation
and growth, not a sign of either.Foreign land our only solution,Shops in every town in Ireland boarded up. The only ones packed at the moment are the soup kitchens,
Certainly financial mismanagement and no regulation by FF/PD/Greens played its part aided and abetted by Labour/FG roaring across the Dail for more spending while the country was "awash with money"
As for people in mortgage trouble I cannot ever seeing Bertie Ahern ordering anyone at gunpoint into a bank to remortgage their family home in order to buy"a place in the sun" in Bulgaria or wherever. A lot of people got into bother through stupidity, greed and keeping up with the Jones.

SPN

For this site to be relevent it must be proactive, it must challenge the government on its follies and by equal virtue congrat it on its successes. I have seen many posters of late boast of their hatred for the "left" , this i can understand to a certain extent if the same posters are refering to the handfull of well paid union executives , i carry no candle for these guys either, but the ordinary joe is suffering, not just with wage cuts but also with the lack of and withdrawal of services.
You have to go back to the beginning of the problem to understand the dynamics of the problem.

We had a wall of money thrown at us. We got used to having excessive amounts of money in the economy and it caused all sorts of price inflation.

Then the wall of money got taken away. Some of the price inflation was reversed, but more of it wasn't reversed.

We currently have two problems. One is the absence of this wall of money. All the jobs, taxes and asset prices that depended on the wall of money are gone. The wall of money, and these jobs, taxes and asset prices, are gone forever. Never coming back.

That is a reality we have to deal with. Pretending it can come back, or that the excesses of 2004-2007 were the new "normal" is a recipe for more hardship.

The second problem is that the wall of money was delivered in the form of debt. Servicing and repaying those borrowings in an economy that is starved of money is a major problem. The system only works when there is more new money put into the system next year than was put in last year. If we ever see that happen again it will be done at the wrong time, for the wrong reason, and will lead to hyper-inflation.

All the people in these situations need help. But the help is not forthcoming.

The primary reason why is because the people with the responsibility for fixing the problem are too busy fixing the wrong problems, and wasting irreplaceable resources (like the State's ability to borrow) on pretending there is no problem.

I posted this link on another thread earlier, and it probably deserves to be posted here as well.

The Oil Drum | The ELP Plan: Economize; Localize & Produce

There are solutions, and many of them are not palatable, but they are based on putting time and effort into fixing the real problems that face us instead of pretending that there is a Money Fairy, and that the €1.1 Billion a week of bubble lending is ever coming back.

The "collapse in our society" is more about the division of scarce resources. There is much less money in the economy today than there was at the height of the bubble, but instead of dividing out the pot fairly, and adopting strategies to minimise the impact on the sectors mose affected by the end of the bubble, we see the vested interests continue to protect their own at the expense of those they know nothing about.

I always remember the reaction to the Colm McCarthy "Bord Snip" Report. Everybody, to a man, thought it was an excellent report and that he got it 99% right.

The 1% he got wrong was the bit that affected them personally.

We have an economy operating at 2002 levels. We have taxes coming in at 2003 levels.

That's the reality.

That's what we have to work with.

That's where we must start if we are to devise a realistic strategy to minimise the damage caused by the end of the lending bubble.

neiphin

take a walk down any street in any town and look at the closed up shops
real people with real familys worked there
look at all the football clubs struggling to field teams, thats parents deprived of their children
take a spin down the country see all the houses abandoned, real familys with dreams and aspirations

stakerwallace

It's bringing out the entrepreneur in me. I used to do classes for nought to help some people with LC: now it's cash only.

White Horse

The tax hikes have had a big effect as my family pays its way.

Hopefully, the government will start cutting its expenditure now and relieve the pressure on income tax payers.

Berty

Use one car instead of two.
Use public transport more... thankfully we have a good public transport system where we live.
Say "no" to kids more often.
Be more economical with heating and electricity.
Continue to have no vacations.
Know how to say "no" to street sellers and door callers.
Spend more time shopping around... do some shopping in shop A and some in shop B.
Shop around when it comes to renewing contracts for phone etc.

Learn how to get more value in business and learn how to be paid on time.

Essentially we have become mean...

sic transit

look at all the football clubs struggling to field teams, thats parents deprived of their children
take a spin down the country see all the houses abandoned, real familys with dreams and aspirations
Yes they did and some of them were given loans by banks who really should have known better. Shopkeeping doesn't make someone a businessperson. On topic bar the tax increases and new taxes, not much at all. Some PS family members have been hit pretty hard but they just get on with life rather than shake their fist at anything that moves.

freewillie

take a spin down the country see all the houses abandoned, real familys with dreams and asperations
In the provincial towns the lack of spending is very obvious. Small coffee shops maybe employing a couple of full timers and a few part times are all gone. The part timer money was the money that went on "luxuries" e.g a take away, a pub meal at the weekend,etc Now that is gone the service jobs are gone as well. Young qualified people emigrating to London etc and no sign of return will start their lives there, buying property, cars etc In Dublin the middle class areas are ok but still behind closed curtains there is a lot of problems, emigration etc

SPN

We have enough retail floorspace for a population of 12 million.

When they had customers who were spending the bank lending bubble into the economy

My generation had to emigrate in the 80s, after the last time FF and Amateur-FF buried the Country in debt.

We came back in the early 90s. With knowledge, with skills, with experience, and with savings. The current generation of emigrants will probably come back too, and their time abroad will bring only positives to the economy and, more importantly, society.

Dreams and aspirations that could only come to pass if the bank lending bubble kept on expanding to infinity.

That was never going to happen.

We need new dreams and aspirations, based on sustainable economics.

Reality bites.