• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

How healthy are yis?

ger12

Are yis healthy piesters? Or tethering on the edge, waitin' for the auld heart attack?

Exercise on your agenda? A couple of bellies and chins on the go? And the dreadful booze, keeping it as the odd tipple? What keeps some of us from repeating the same cycles (good or bad)? Do you go to the GP for a check up every year?

Exercise: 7 benefits of regular physical activity - Mayo Clinic
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/risks
https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/

D

Deleted member 17573

Are yis healthy piesters? Or tethering on the edge, waitin' for the auld heart attack?

Exercise on your agenda? A couple of bellies and chins on the go? And the dreadful booze, keeping it as the odd tipple? What keeps some of us from repeating the same cycles (good or bad)? Do you go to the GP for a check up every year?

Exercise: 7 benefits of regular physical activity - Mayo Clinic
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/risks
https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/
When did the recommended alcohol level for men change from 21 to 14 units? Dare one ask was the reduction informed by ideology or science?

ger12

When did the recommended alcohol level for men change from 21 to 14 units? Dare one ask was the reduction informed by ideology or science?
Science. Seems "Alcoholic beverages are classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a Group 1 carcinogen. IARC classifies alcoholic beverage consumption as a cause of female breast, colorectum, larynx, liver, esophagus, oral cavity, and pharynx cancers; and as a probable cause of pancreatic cancer."

Slainte :p

between the bridges

Fit as a butcher's fiddle...

D

Deleted member 17573

Science. Seems "Alcoholic beverages are classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as a Group 1 carcinogen. IARC classifies alcoholic beverage consumption as a cause of female breast, colorectum, larynx, liver, esophagus, oral cavity, and pharynx cancers; and as a probable cause of pancreatic cancer."

Slainte :p
I don't buy if ger, in fact I have lost faith in all dietary advice. Too much of it is being driven by ideological agenda and interest group pressure. About the only certainty is that the advice in 10 years from now will be different from what we are being told today.

Cheers:D

ger12

I don't buy if ger, in fact I have lost faith in all dietary advice. Too much of it is being driven by ideological agenda and interest group pressure. About the only certainty is that the advice in 10 years from now will be different from what we are being told today.

Cheers:D
Tic toc Sailor ... Sugar is a real bugger, fat in moderation is grand, mixing the two is something we all stupidly do.

The booze is interesting, I suspect quality wise it's not what it used to be. Eat what your washing, trimming and cooking not what's packed and pre made. Life's damn busy though, and it costs time and energy to prepare and rustle up a meal.

Exercise is far more important than most people thing. Move it or lose it (especially at your age).

D

Deleted member 17573

Tic toc Sailor ... Sugar is a real bugger, fat in moderation is grand, mixing the two is something we all stupidly do.

The booze is interesting, I suspect quality wise it's not what it used to be. Eat what your washing, trimming and cooking not what's packed and pre made. Life's damn busy though, and it costs time and energy to prepare and rustle up a meal.

Exercise is far more important than most people thing. Move it or lose it (especially at your age).
And that is an example of what I was referring to. Last year fat was a complete no-no.
My only guidelines are to avoid processed foods as far as possible, eat my main meal early, no 9 p.m. dinners, not get too fanatical about any diet and ignore official guidelines, especially from the "dietary experts" flogging books.

D

Deleted member 34656

They're planning to bring in a free allowance and you'll be charged a hefty price for anything over the allowance.

So the recommended drops to 14 units for men.

It ties in neatly with the conservative agenda to stop women drinking much at all while simultaneously pleasing the LGBIT advocates as there will be a lot of women transfluiding into men.

Don't you read?

ger12

And that is an example of what I was referring to. Last year fat was a complete no-no.
My only guidelines are to avoid processed foods as far as possible, eat my main meal early, no 9 p.m. dinners, not get too fanatical about any diet and ignore official guidelines, especially from the "dietary experts" flogging books.
Exercise?

danger here

I cycle 15 km per day to and from work and er, tonight ate 2 Big Macs...

eoghanacht

blokesbloke

Don't exercise and overweight.

I eat too much but I do eat lots of veg - just too much of everything.

I don't drink or smoke at all though - and eating is my way of dealing with stress in the same way drinking and/or smoking is for others.

I don't see my GP for a check up every year because it's not something they really offer as a service.

amsterdemmetje

I started to do a thing called HIIT Burn Calories and Improve Metabolism With High-Intensity Workoutslast august and the results have being brilliant.

I do it for half an hour 5 days a week no dieting involved just not going mad especially at night time. When im on nights which i am right now i do it in the office as im alone all the time .Its been great in boasting my energy levels especially when your job involves sitting down for 12 hour shifts.The great thing about it is you can do it anywhere you don't need to go to a gym which i hate anyways as all my meathead buddies are there busy recording themselves lifting.:cool:
Id recommend investing in a good Resistance band as well.

“'High intensity' means using as much energy as you can during exercise in a small amount of time,” says Laura Miele-Pascoe, PhD, a professor of coaching education for Ohio

Calculusmadeeasy

Reasonably healthy. Like most, I could probably get a bit more exercise, but I don't smoke, I'm a moderate drinker, don't eat red or white meat, and have a fairly simple diet of eggs, vegetables, fruit, oatmeal, and sometimes fish. I do like a few beers at the weekend, and I do like Lemon Meringue/apple pies, so I'm starting to develop a bit of a spare tyre (nowhere near Ger's size though, which could probably deflect a beam of light).

More concerned about my concentration span actually. It used to be that nothing could get me out of the state of bliss that was reading a book. Since I started using this thing, I find it harder to read, and my focus isn't as sharp as it once was. I don't think it's down to ageing either (I'm a good bit younger than Ger btw).

The internet eh? It's like someone is tinkering with your brain.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Smoke, drink and am a velocipedal bicyclist. Often all three at the same time. Don't believe in doctors unless there is actually a limb hanging off and in those cases a veterinarian is just as qualified.

I try to have as little to do with medicos as humanly possible. Mostly because I drank with medical students quite a lot in my younger days and I wouldn't trust most of them with fixing an alarm clock so I'd be most reluctant to allow them liberties with my physiology.

Never been in hospital. Wasn't even born in one. Am still young enough to be getting the occasional offer from bicycling velocipedalists of the opposing sex and am pleased to confirm I am mature enough in most cases to wisely ignore them.

My vices are good for my mental health and my mental health continues to inform my choice of vices.

Should I fall into debilitating illness in the approach to old age I shall not trouble my family with the issue but will pop off to Switzerland for a pint of morphine (and a small single malt on the side).

Best medical advice I ever heard was third hand from an old doctor who said the secret to a long life was 'we have two holes. Keep one closed and the other open and you'll be grand.'

corporal punishment

I don't smoke or drink. Get a reasonable amount of exercise for my age, 52, I can do 3k on the treadmill in 15 minutes. plenty of fruit and veg in the diet, almost no processed shyte, sugar or salt and according to google my bmi index number is in the green zone. So why do I feel tired all the time. Work that's why. I work 12 hour shifts and my supervisor is a complete d1ck, high stress levels. Last week I had to go out to the car for 2 of my breaks for 2 15 minute naps. I couldn't get in at all last Thursday and spent the whole day in bed. I never normally do this. I need a new job!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies