How healthy are yis?

D

Deleted member 45466

Yet you don't smoke, or eat meats and don't indulge in hard booze.

Why? ....
Well, personal taste is probably the simple answer.

I quit smoking in 2009, and it was my own decision, although my motivations aren't something I wish to discuss in public - maybe another time.

Without getting into a dry discussion about the state, PR, propaganda, media brainwashing etc, like you, I enjoy apple pie. Particularly hot apple pie with lashings of ice cream. It's not something I have often, because I recognise a delicious treat for what it is; something you occasionally have as a reward to yourself for hard day's keyboard jousting. So, like feckitt and his liking for smoking/drinking, I can get a bit pished off, when someone tells me that it's full of processed sugars, and other shyte that might kill me.

I like to make vegetable dishes with brown rice. Now, as far as I'm aware brown rice is good for you. I was sitting down to enjoy my food one day, when my sister (who is currently staying with me) told me that brown rice is actually bad for you because it contains trace elements of arsenic etc. etc. She then proceeded to give me a detailed, tedious "Des Quirrell" special on the disadvantages of brown rice. I asked her where she got her information from. No brownies for guessing where......conformist, media driven BS.

Yanno, I'm just a humble Dublin lad, trying to earn an honest crust. I'm a patient man and have simple tastes in food, and I like to enjoy my brown rice, and veggies, which is occasionally followed by some apple or lemon meringue pie. So, when someone starts bleating on about how I'll kick the bucket if I consume more than the RDA of salt, rice or whatever, I get a teeny weeny bit annoyed, particularly if the information they got was gleaned from a consumerist driven media that are intent on profit rather than health.:roll:

Know what I mean?

D

Deleted member 45466

As for meat:

Stopped consuming it after a veggie friend casually suggested that I do some research on the food industry.

Then decided to stop eating meat.

ger12

Well, personal taste is probably the simple answer.

I quit smoking in 2009, and it was my own decision, although my motivations aren't something I wish to discuss in public - maybe another time.

Without getting into a dry discussion about the state, PR, propaganda, media brainwashing etc, like you, I enjoy apple pie. Particularly hot apple pie with lashings of ice cream. It's not something I have often, because I recognise a delicious treat for what it is; something you occasionally have as a reward to yourself for hard day's keyboard jousting. So, like feckitt and his liking for smoking/drinking, I can get a bit pished off, when someone tells me that it's full of processed sugars, and other shyte that might kill me.

I like to make vegetable dishes with brown rice. Now, as far as I'm aware brown rice is good for you. I was sitting down to enjoy my food one day, when my sister (who is currently staying with me) told me that brown rice is actually bad for you because it contains trace elements of arsenic etc. etc. She then proceeded to give me a detailed, tedious "Des Quirrell" special on the disadvantages of brown rice. I asked her where she got her information from. No brownies for guessing where......conformist, media driven BS.

Yanno, I'm just a humble Dublin lad, trying to earn an honest crust. I'm a patient man and have simple tastes in food, and I like to enjoy my brown rice, and veggies, which is occasionally followed by some apple or lemon meringue pie. So, when someone starts bleating on about how I'll kick the bucket if I consume more than the RDA of salt, rice or whatever, I get a teeny weeny bit annoyed, particularly if the information they got was gleaned from a consumerist driven media that are intent on profit rather than health.:roll:

Know what I mean?
So, why did you decide to stop smoking? And may I recommend custard with the apple pie and ice-cream (my mother makes a shocking delicious apple tart, stews the apples first, her own pastry).

Thing is you cranky fart, all that advice is just that. advice, you can take or leave. Getting hot and bothered over it is a little páistiúil. Does your sister find you páistiúil I wonder ...

ger12

Last January in the UK - along with the slogan: "there is no safe level of alcohol consumption".

Apparently, too, its fourteen 'units' for both women and men this time; we just couldn't cope with those narsty 'gender differences' being seen to be endorsed by official policy.
Do you not wonder, if the booze these days contains a lot more shíte than the booze of fifty years ago?

johnnypockets

Consider myself to be quite healthy now. Far more so than I used to be. I have always exercised and played sport but now that I have given up smoking and drink I find I am much better when it comes to physical pursuits. Of course age is starting to catch up on me now so its slowing down that process is my main aim as opposed to setting any new records.

D

Deleted member 45466

So, why did you decide to stop smoking? And may I recommend custard with the apple pie and ice-cream (my mother makes a shocking delicious apple tart, stews the apples first, her own pastry).

Thing is you cranky fart, all that advice is just that. advice, you can take or leave. Getting hot and bothered over it is a little páistiúil. Does your sister find you páistiúil I wonder ...
Long (boring) story. Another time perhaps.

Yep, when I was a boy, the mother did a mean custard/apple pie/ice cream delight. Very nice indeed. No one's ever been able to match her own brand of lemon meringue pie either. I would have gone on to become pie eating champion of Dublin had she not made the decision to limit the consumption to one pie a week. Used to eat the whole thing. Yummy.

True, but my point is more about the public's susceptibility to media programming.

I didn't say I got hot and bothered over it you old has been. I said I got a teeny weeny bit annoyed.

She'll find me very paistiuil indeed if she doesn't replace the pram she's currently using as a safety gate to stop the young lad from scaling the stairs.

Ellen Ripley

They both look a bit raddled, Ger, tbh--even for 64. They need some sunscreen. As soon as it hits 15° most Irish people tend to strip off and dash outside--especially the older guys who think shorts are still a good look.

Grew up in the bogs, drinking raw unpasteurised milk, eating the fat off the meat, (still do that today :oops:) but kids got loads of excercise then which maybe stood to them.

Nowadays I tend to go along with Tony Benn who said "Whenever I get the urge to do some physical exercise, I take a nice lie down until it passes".
I've been very lucky so far health-wise, and was feeling fine until you started this, now suddenly

ksli;idheddddddddddde

D

Deleted member 45466

I dunno, I'm fitter now than I was ten or twenty years ago. Recently fell off the wagon (been a very busy start to 2016) but I intend on moving on that in a couple of weeks.

Move it or lose it. Also reading a book called Being Mortal (great book) which would give one the old push to get moving :)
Proof and weekly "before and after" updates or STFU.

D

Deleted member 45466

They both look a bit raddled, Ger, tbh--even for 64. They need some sunscreen. As soon as it hits 15° most Irish people tend to strip off and dash outside--especially the older guys who think shorts are still a good look.

Grew up in the bogs, drinking raw unpasteurised milk, eating the fat off the meat, (still do that today :oops:) but kids got loads of excercise then which maybe stood to them.

Nowadays I tend to go along with Tony Benn who said "Whenever I get the urge to do some physical exercise, I take a nice lie down until it passes".
I've been very lucky so far health-wise, and was feeling fine until you started this, now suddenly

ksli;idheddddddddddde
Like Morlocks or summat?

D

Deleted member 17573

ksli;idheddddddddddde
I have a strong suspicion that in another 20 years or so we will relearn what our grandparents knew about diet. Bowl of porridge for breakfast, a good dinner of fresh ingredients at midday, and a light supper of homemade bread and a couple of boiled eggs, no late night eating, a moderate few drinks and exercise taken naturally and suited to age, and a good night's sleep. And there will be no more calorie counting or measurement of fat content. Or so I hope!

Ellen Ripley

As for meat:

Stopped consuming it after a veggie friend casually suggested that I do some research on the food industry.

Then decided to stop eating meat.
Where's that vid you had with the piglet in the mincer?

That made me feel such a hypocrite for being a carnivore..put me off eating rashers for ages.

(Well, a week or two ..)

D

Deleted member 45466

Where's that vid you had with the piglet in the mincer?

That made me feel such a hypocrite for being a carnivore..put me off eating rashers for ages.

(Well, a week or two ..)
Our Daily Bread?

That's a good one alright.

I don't disagree with eating meat. I'd be happy enough to eat it myself if I'd hunted it (or caught it).

The industrialised slaughter of animals doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Ellen Ripley

I have a strong suspicion that in another 20 years or so we will relearn what our grandparents knew about diet. Bowl of porridge for breakfast, a good dinner of fresh ingredients at midday, and a light supper of homemade bread and a couple of boiled eggs, no late night eating, a moderate few drinks and exercise taken naturally and suited to age, and a good night's sleep. And there will be no more calorie counting or measurement of fat content. Or so I hope!

Absolutely-- simple, regular meals.

They say you should never buy any food product that's heavily advertised or that your grandmother wouldn't recognise.
There's a whole generation of kids now (with fat tummies) who are wheat/lactose/egg/nut/ intolerant because of food fads.

I eat too late, often forget to eat, and don't get enough sleep.
The mother of one of my daughter's friends keeps hens and sends eggs over sometimes.... I'll make them a chocolate cake as a thank-you, and sher--there's no point in making just the one, is there? :oops:

johnnypockets

Plenty of veg, nuts and a small bit of meat is the key. Not too sure about bread. Not much of a return for what you have to take in.

D

Deleted member 34656

I have a strong suspicion that people who drink or smoke are dismissed by their doctors if they turn up with health complaints.

High time they had to work for a living.

johnnypockets

Our Daily Bread?

That's a good one alright.

I don't disagree with eating meat. I'd be happy enough to eat it myself if I'd hunted it (or caught it).

The industrialised slaughter of animals doesn't sit comfortably with me.
Do you miss meat? From an ethical point of view I would like to give it up. I would find it very hard though.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies