• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

How is Brendan Howlin still in a job?

Disillusioned democrat

Brendan Howlin must have some tremendous talent we, his paymasters, are not aware of, because I can't for the life of me understand how he's still in a job.

Firstly he made a complete farce of the allowances "reform" when he failed miserably to get more that 5% of the target reduction in costs because, sure, in the end aren't allowances really pay and, sure, who could reduce pay after all.

Then he fluffs the CPA II negotiations, despite his little 7% tantrum towards the end, so yet again another target gets missed and the time to realise the savings ticks away. Now the government have to bluster and threaten again, but everyone now knows they're pussies and will back down.

If you were cynical you'd be forgiven for thinking maybe Howlin was delaying having to make any real cuts until "something" happened to make it possible for Labour to walk away from actually being in government and get back into opposition where they seem happiest, but in the meantime surely the government MUST have someone better to put on the case for REAL reform?

Mountaintop

Same reason Harney remained in Health for so long.....who else would want to do it?

emulator

It is quite depressing....

Imagine if he was a project / manager in the private sector. Would he still be there ?

I think not.... but then again, would half the Ministers in the cabinet ?

Disillusioned democrat

Same reason Harney remained in Health for so long.....who else would want to do it?
Well, he did really, and went on to create a whole new Dept around himself, with more general secretaries and assistants than you could shake a stick at. An empire to take on the public sector, run by the public sector and led by a union apologist.....it was doomed to fail from the start, but now that it has and the joke is over can we get someone else to try it?

commonman

We the people put them in , like Enda our dear leader said, there is a new way of going politics what ever that is, we had them all in power FF,FG, Labour,this last 10 years, they all look after them selfs and there friends,where do we go now.!

borntorum

Then he fluffs the CPA II negotiations, despite his little 7% tantrum towards the end, so yet again another target gets missed and the time to realise the savings ticks away. Now the government have to bluster and threaten again, but everyone now knows they're pussies and will back down.
Surely he did his part of the bargain with CP2? He got a deal with the union leaders; it was their fault that their membership rejected the deal. Isn't it more apposite to ask why is repeated failure Jack O'Connor still in a job?

P Ryan

At the highest levels of power in this land, repeated failure seems to go hand in hand with big rewards.

Disillusioned democrat

Surely he did his part of the bargain with CP2? He got a deal with the union leaders; it was their fault that their membership rejected the deal. Isn't it more apposite to ask why is repeated failure Jack O'Connor still in a job?
Getting a deal with union leaders not worth a damn, and if he's going to resort to threats the least he can do is follow through.

Besides - I don't pay Jack O'Connor's salary.

borntorum

Getting a deal with union leaders not worth a damn, and if he's going to resort to threats the least he can do is follow through.

Besides - I don't pay Jack O'Connor's salary.
He doesn't negotiate with the individual members, he negotiates with the leadership.

shiel

Giving politicians plenty of stick is part of democracy.

But where were the know alls here and elsewhere when the decisions were being taken which bankrupt the country during the Celtic tiger period?

The hypocrisy of much of what passes for democratic discourse at present is breath-taking.

Much of the media, which cheer led the decisions of the boom and the self styled lords and masters that were making those decisions, are now all over the place complaining about the results.

I have no sympathy for Howlin and co. But they are in power 2 years.

The previous administration which bankrupt the country were in power for 23 of the previous 25 years with most of the media grovelling to them.

Disillusioned democrat

He doesn't negotiate with the individual members, he negotiates with the leadership.
Well that didn't work, did it and he's left another job half done, but you seem to think it's okay 'cos he tried his best, bless.

This is the real world and if you need to reduce cost you don't ask for permission, you do what you have to do.....now the whole process has been reduced to bluster and farce.

fiobi

I am from his constituency but did not vote for him as I never rated him even as a TD. I agree with the OP I cannot understand why he is still in a cabinet position as he has achieved absolutely nothing.

I cannot think of one thing he has achieved, can anyone?

Maybe that was the plan on behalf of Labour to look like he is trying to do something but not actually believing that the employees/unions will agree to CP2.

devoutcapitalist

He's another teacher who doesn't have a clue how to run a country. The man should only be a county councillor at best in Wexford.

Spanner Island

This sh!t happens all the time in this country.

And we tolerate it all the time... so don't expect anything to change.

starter

Howlin hasn't a clue.He has every public sector employee's back up,
The present ministers are a disgrace,
Howlin ,Quinn, Hogan,O'Reilly,NOONAN
What do the media see in Noonan
His refusal to stand up to the Bankers is unbelievable and he then has the cheek to come on trlevision and pretend he is shocked.
Meanwhile We ,our children and grandchildren will be paying for the great deal he pretends he got us.64 billion down the road and rising
What a joke
If I was younger I would be gone out of Ireland " by choice "as Noonan says

ShoutingIsLeadership

Brendan Howlin must have some tremendous talent we, his paymasters, are not aware of, because I can't for the life of me understand how he's still in a job.

Firstly he made a complete farce of the allowances "reform" when he failed miserably to get more that 5% of the target reduction in costs because, sure, in the end aren't allowances really pay and, sure, who could reduce pay after all.

If you were cynical you'd be forgiven for thinking maybe Howlin was delaying having to make any real cuts until "something" happened to make it possible for Labour to walk away from actually being in government and get back into opposition where they seem happiest, but in the meantime surely the government MUST have someone better to put on the case for REAL reform?
One could argue that by getting the agreement of the union bosses, who in turn could not get the agreement of their members, Howlin was, in fact, too good at his job.

Amnesiac

Howlin got away with the allowances scandal far too easily. It was a disgrace. I haven't heard much about it since. He has done a good job of courting union management, but there is a large cost to industrial peace. His strategy is now failing because union members up in arms and most union management are sensible enough to distance themselves from Croke Park II. He will most like be forced to legislate for cuts. No doubt this decision will be made by cabinet and he will do his best to stay out of sight when it happens.

Big Brother

I'm not saying FF are starting to look good

I do think however that they maybe be slightly less unbearable than Labour

It's not a great choice though is it?

Popular Threads

Most Replies