• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

How is this New Jail - Thornton Hall - coming along?

cavok

Website
www.politics.ie
Will they have a wing for FF, the Builders & Bankers?
That will be an open prison, Phoenix Park

Aras, Bertie. Gombeens will send him there.

Digout

How much was paid for the bit of land they are going to build it on?

Sean-Bhean bhoct

I have not heard anything about it in a while.

Anyone know where I can get pictures to see how its progessing? Supposed to be ready next year.

Will they have a wing for FF, the Builders & Bankers?
Yes it is indeed supposed to be ready by next year...last time I checked there wasn't a brick laid.

And I was talking with a govenor of another prison recently who said that he'd be surprised if it's built by 2025 at the rate we're going. Apparently, there's no money for it now...surprise surprise.

MsAnneThrope

They bought it for €30 million by all accounts...they'd nearly build it for that amount these days...
Do you know who owned the land? From the IT "The 150-acre prison site at Kilsallaghan near Swords was acquired in controversial circumstances for €30 million in 2005. The purchase price per acre was far higher than any other sales in the area at that time"

Eorna

Michael McDowell's monument to justice in the State, pity he didn't bother tightening up the laws on white collar criminals, but I suppose that would have been rude considering that they were financing his party. What a merry go round.

code twinkle

Just past it the other day, nothing has begun but you'll all be delighted to hear that (in the most lovely of quiet rural locations nonetheless) there is a big sign detailing all sorts of constant security the site is under, including 24 hour garda surveillance. Which obviously is costing a pretty penny per day and seemingly will for at least another two years.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
We certainly need it with the explosion in gangland and juveneile crime in this country.

Sean-Bhean bhoct

We certainly need it with the explosion in gangland and juveneile crime in this country.
A particularly misinformed, black and white response.

According to Irish and international law a juvenile is someone under the age of 18 and, as such, cannot be committed to a prison of any discription. Juveniles are to be committed to Juvenile detention centers which has nothing to do with this new prison - unless they decide to build on on the 'prison campus' along with the new central mental hospital.

So I think we'll find it hard to try and convict 2,200 gangland criminals. But if these spaces are there they'll find some way to fill them no doubt...which isn't necessarily the best thing to do in some cases.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
A particularly misinformed, black and white response.

According to Irish and international law a juvenile is someone under the age of 18 and, as such, cannot be committed to a prison of any discription. Juveniles are to be committed to Juvenile detention centers which has nothing to do with this new prison - unless they decide to build on on the 'prison campus' along with the new central mental hospital.

So I think we'll find it hard to try and convict 2,200 gangland criminals. But if these spaces are there they'll find some way to fill them no doubt...which isn't necessarily the best thing to do in some cases.
Sorry, but at this stage I have zero sympathy for violent juveneile delinquants. I would suggest had you listened to today's Liveline you would understand what I mean.

macdarawhitfield

Thornton ,who he? Cherry this and Wheatfield that and City West and Ongar Village.So confusing,why are all new developments not called Aylesbury? It simplifies things here in Cork!

Trampas

Juveniles are to be committed to Juvenile detention centers which has nothing to do with this new prison

Right so. On with the Thornton build asap followed by refurbishment of Mountjoy as a juvenile detention centre. Problem solved.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies