• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

How long can Ireland maintain it's Corrupt Third World Taxi service?

Niall996

Another visit to Dublin and another step back in time to somewhere around the mid eighties. Rubbish smelly dirty taxis, smelly taxi drivers, creaking suspension, worn ball joints (driver and car), sagging rear seat covers, no rear leg room in rotten sub standard cars, limited space for luggage and multuple passengers but above all, no UBER.

Thousands of business travellers arrive into Dublin airport every day on their way to meetings and generally, they use credit cards for almost everything. Covers business costs, minimal admin etc. It's a concept that's quite nromal outside of Ireland. It's utterly embarassing to see vistior after visitor looking to pay with a credit card and get the Irish fob off. THey then have to be brought to a bank machine and charged for the pleasure. And that's before we get to dodgy route planning (not possble with UBER of course). And iphones left in the back seats that are never handed in.

So I'm in the taxi queue today and ask one of the attrendents if there are taxis that take credit card (normal elsewhere in the world). 'It's the luck of the draw bud,' was the answer. 'You have to queue up and see what happens. No guarantees man!'

That in a sentence is the state of the Irish taxi service. 90% of taxis are refusing to take credit cards in 2018. Which is in itself from a customer service perspective unforgivable. But it's clearly a financial scam as well. Irish 'UBER' taxi's unlike Ubers in other countries are happy to cancel a 'booking' (it's not a booking in Ireland, just a request) if they see a more lucrative prospect on the side of the road and will happily leave you stranded. In fact in Ireland, booking a taxi the night before for an early morning airport run is not actually a booking at all I was told today. Merely a notification that you'd like a taxi. Whether they turn up or not is up to them.

And these scammers and chancers expect pity and a healthy tip in return for all that that diabolical service. And we have a minister in charge of this shambles somewhere apparently.

Golden Phoenix

:thumbsup:
Another visit to Dublin and another step back in time to somewhere around the mid eighties. Rubbish smelly dirty taxis, smelly taxi drivers, creaking suspension, worn ball joints (driver and car), sagging rear seat covers, no rear leg room in rotten sub standard cars, limited space for luggage and multuple passengers but above all, no UBER.

Thousands of business travellers arrive into Dublin airport every day on their way to meetings and generally, they use credit cards for almost everything. Covers business costs, minimal admin etc. It's a concept that's quite nromal outside of Ireland. It's utterly embarassing to see vistior after visitor looking to pay with a credit card and get the Irish fob off. THey then have to be brought to a bank machine and charged for the pleasure. And that's before we get to dodgy route planning (not possble with UBER of course). And iphones left in the back seats that are never handed in.

So I'm in the taxi queue today and ask one of the attrendents if there are taxis that take credit card (normal elsewhere in the world). 'It's the luck of the draw bud,' was the answer. 'You have to queue up and see what happens. No guarantees man!'

That in a sentence is the state of the Irish taxi service. 90% of taxis are refusing to take credit cards in 2018. Which is in itself from a customer service perspective unforgivable. But it's clearly a financial scam as well. Irish 'UBER' taxi's unlike Ubers in other countries are happy to cancel a 'booking' (it's not a booking in Ireland, just a request) if they see a more lucrative prospect on the side of the road and will happily leave you stranded. In fact in Ireland, booking a taxi the night before for an early morning airport run is not actually a booking at all I was told today. Merely a notification that you'd like a taxi. Whether they turn up or not is up to them.

And these scammers and chancers expect pity and a healthy tip in return for all that that diabolical service. And we have a minister in charge of this shambles somewhere apparently.
:thumbsup:

Thumbs up for your post, not for taxi services!

Expect L O N G waits for taxis from now to 2019!

ruman

Bit of a rant there mate , did you ask them why they refuse to take credit card rather then whine on the internet ?

Get taxis regularly enough but normally on account. From what i was told many here feel the charges taxi driver face for taking credit cards are extortionate. Not sure how valid is that claim and would like to know what the charges for taxi drivers to use credit cards here and how does it compare to other countries. I'd normally get that info before going off on one though. Have a nice day !!

dizillusioned

I dunno, the taxis in New York are not exactly clean. They do take credit cards.

There is the option of an APP that allows you to find a taxi quickly and pay by credit card, not that difficult... its called:mytaxi

If you want a cleaner and nicer car try the executive cars.... I have always found that this is a great app similar to the Hailo that it replaces.

Its not rocket science.

Bill

Bit of a rant there mate , did you ask them why they refuse to take credit card rather then whine on the internet ?

Get taxis regularly enough but normally on account. From what i was told many here feel the charges taxi driver face for taking credit cards are extortionate. Not sure how valid is that claim and would like to know what the charges for taxi drivers to use credit cards here and how does it compare to other countries. I'd normally get that info before going off on one though. Have a nice day !!
you can register your card with that taxi app thing, gets charged automatically when you order a cab

mr_anderson

Within the next 20 years, it's all going to be automated, so they're all going to be out of work.
As will truck drivers.

I wonder if their union will try and legislate against self-driving cars ? :whistling:

ruman

you can register your card with that taxi app thing, gets charged automatically when you order a cab
There's various ways but presumably there's a reason drivers arent using here. Perhaps the OP should find out. Who knows maybe they're simply not aware and him telling them might mean 1 more driver taking card payment next time he arrives.

CatullusV

Also, I'd have to say that every cab I've caught in Dublin on my visits home has been of a professional standard. Are you confusing anecdote with data?

freewillie

Wots the stoowree Bud?

Lagertha

Taxis in Dublin just aren't worth the hassle. I learned how to use the luas and if I'm flying in or out of Dublin airport I just get the airport bus.

devoutcapitalist

Taxis in Dublin just aren't worth the hassle. I learned how to use the luas and if I'm flying in or out of Dublin airport I just get the airport bus.
Whenever I'm up in Dublin at the weekend, I use the bus to get from my parents place and the Nitelink back home.

PBP voter

A good OP.

I would put them on the same level as cowboy builders and tradesmen.

Niall996

It’s a blatant daylight robbery in your face tax scam. It’s as simple as that. And an embarrassment in this day and age.

Baron von Biffo

The refusal probably has nothing to do with hiding money from the Revenue.

hiding behind a poster

I got two taxis on Saturday. Both were fine.

Politics matters

I've been ripped off by taxi drivers when leaving Dublin airport; they're fond of taking the scenic route on to the motorway when it's quicker not to.

Although, I do find the my taxi app, to be very useful, and you can pay the fair using your debit card.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies