How Long Does It Take To Screed a Road?

Half Nelson

Our tradition of filling roads with loose chippings just as the tourists hit our shores is part of what defines us. I'm surprised Board Failte doesn't make more of it.

'orebel

[video=youtube;DUJThXe1EVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJThXe1EVA[/video]

silverharp

[video=youtube;DUJThXe1EVA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUJThXe1EVA[/video]
maybe they had that on Craggy Island, it looks like you could take the roads in during the winter

SeanieFitz

Our lads in the Councils could learn an awful lot from the Ozzies. Think how much easier it would be navigating our country roads if road works were completed in good time (which of course they are not at present):

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/footage-outback-road-being-laid-171122154.html

Do you think they will take a leaf from the Ozzies book?
As far as I am aware council's no longer carry out surface dressing, it is now contracted out. Certainly the national and main road network is carried out by private contractors

gleeful

That road laying method only works for remote low traffic roads. Wouldn't last long in rain either.

Socratus O' Pericles

[video=youtube;XfR9iY5y94s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s[/video]

Lara2

How long does it take the council to refurbish a very small 2 bedroom flat in a flat complex? Six months, yes, you heard right - half a year.

popular1

How long does it take the council to refurbish a very small 2 bedroom flat in a flat complex? Six months, yes, you heard right - half a year.
the guys in the council are in there because they know some one
and a lot of them are in because they go out at election time for parties

cabledude

The video above is moot. That surface is possible only an inch or so thick. For a national road you need a well laid and compacted base cover by sequential layers of rolled SMA (asphalt) There are generally 3 layers used. Layer 1 (base) is usually hardcore. Lever 2 is normally intermediate asphalt. Layer 3 which is the layer you drive on is the fine layer of asphalt. This is for regional and local roads. For the N and M roads there are many more levels.

The video depicted a road for cattle perhaps. Not trucks or cars I doubt.

amsterdemmetje

As far as I am aware council's no longer carry out surface dressing, it is now contracted out. Certainly the national and main road network is carried out by private contractors
I watched the council from my office only yesterday doing a half arsed job of spraying potholes with stones and tar and then reversing over it with the wheels of the truck to flatten it.

Lara2

I watched the council from my office only yesterday doing a half arsed job of spraying potholes with stones and tar and then reversing over it with the wheels of the truck to flatten it.
Which begs the question, do we currently have the most useless and ineffective council on the planet?

amsterdemmetje

Which begs the question, do we currently have the most useless and ineffective council on the planet?
Cant blame the poor chaps actually doing the work they have to work with what they are given but you are right the councils themselves themselves are utterly useless and non productive when it comes to roads anyways.

Man or Mouse

The video above is moot. That surface is possible only an inch or so thick. For a national road you need a well laid and compacted base cover by sequential layers of rolled SMA (asphalt) There are generally 3 layers used. Layer 1 (base) is usually hardcore. Lever 2 is normally intermediate asphalt. Layer 3 which is the layer you drive on is the fine layer of asphalt. This is for regional and local roads. For the N and M roads there are many more levels.

The video depicted a road for cattle perhaps. Not trucks or cars I doubt.
I don't doubt you that that is how it should be done. But, have you ever seen this done in Ireland? The N roads I'm familiar with get a layer equivalent to what is in the video from WA put on over existing but worn surfaces and known as surface dressing. The dressing lasts anything from one to three years, depending on what you mean by "last". The M roads probably get done in accordance with EU standards right enough, as funding from that source is often part of the project.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Rots with his dyslexia took the title thread as "read the road" and I was flummoxed for a while.............:shock:

Dedogs

Our lads in the Councils could learn an awful lot from the Ozzies. Think how much easier it would be navigating our country roads if road works were completed in good time (which of course they are not at present):

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/footage-outback-road-being-laid-171122154.html

Do you think they will take a leaf from the Ozzies book?
try that here and the first thing youd have to do is have a quota of women engineers then daly and wallace would turn up to protest then youd get done for racism for coverin up the black bit.... ;);):)

mulligan

Anyone seeing the latest bull about narrowing Irish roads to reduce speeds, due to the Road Authority I believe. They have filled in and ruined many town roads recently due to this. This country seems determined to destroy car owners at all costs.

SeanieFitz

They do what they call "patching" or as you more accurately put it "a half arsed job of spraying potholes with stones and tar and then reversing over it with the wheels of the truck to flatten it" :D however, as far as I am aware, surface dressing is contracted out to private operators

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies