• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

How many British soldiers died in the Northern conflict?

Marcella

Interesting to see how many were killed in 'car accidents' during the troubles.

RedCloud

Have you not learned yet my friend that the British are all evil and are to blame for all of Ireland's problems? It's part of our identity to be the victim. And do you not also know that only the British committed murder and that the IRA were merely defending the Irish community in the North? I mean anyone with a Wolfe Tone's album or two could tell you this. They defended them so well that they managed to kill more of them than the evil Brits.
Hula Hoop....are you taking notes ? :)

Itsalaugh

I'm quoting from THE PHOENIX,august 10 2007,

"Army medic ,John Black wrote to the Daily Telegraph in 2000 to claim that many soldiers killed in the north had not been listed in official casualty figures. This was done to maintain morale and fool voters in Britain. Sgt. Black had attended a soldierwho lost both legs and an arm and subsequently died, but who became a "non person " when his body was shipped to England. Following Blacks claims ,a so called "ghost batallion" of dead combatants was uncovered by the newspaper, which revealed that the BA listed only 651 troops KIA. Telegraph reporters , talking to former soldiers and relatives compiled a list of 719,(Daily Telegraph march 15, 2000)
Many of the 68 "ghost soldiers"had been undercover or killed by friendly fire.

Last week, when the final press statement was released by 39th brigade , Lisburn, the number had jumped to 763. There was no explanation for the dramatic increase, but there were still a number of dead soldiers not disclosed as casualties in Ireland. They include Capt. Julian Ball, buried in edinburgh,whom the IRA believe they killed in an ambush. Ball is said by his former CO to have died in a traffic accident in the persian gulf and not undercover in Ireland."
Breadan O'Connor said:
I definitely recall a report by Ed Moloney, who's no friend of the Provos, around 1990. The IRA claimed to have killed a number of undercover soldiers, the British Army denied it. Moloney reported the competing claims in the Sunday Tribune, but the tribune archives only go back to 1998.

Moloney's report mentioned 2 dead soldiers hanging out the window in a car,after being chased and shot at by Provos, I believe it was in Cappagh, but I'm only going by memory.[/quote:2avi3o4u]

Actually it was on An Phoblacht who broke the story...
'The Sunday Press' ran on its front page 4 weeks after the attack an admission from an unnamed senior British Army source that the IRA were speaking the truth that 2 undercover soldiers had been killed in Cappagh and the incident covered-up.
The British Army press officer denied this the next day and that's the last coverage the incident received until there was mention by Unionist/SDLP councillors on Dungannon District Council that Martin McCaughey who was absent from the council chamber from March onwards had been rumoured to be injured in a shooting incident in Cappagh.
Post his death the IRA stated McCaughey was treated for gunshot wounds across the border and with the Brits/RUC denying what had occured in Cappagh he returned to his home after recovery.

I remember the incident - it was Feb. 1990 - Volunteer. Martin Mc Caughey from Tyrone was shot and badly injured. During his recovery - he lost his Council seat as he wasn't able to attend etc.

Sadly, Martin and Volunteer. Dessie Grew were killed months later just outside Loughgall by the SAS

I'd imagine there were many deaths of Brits that went unreported during the recent conflict.
A bit strange but the link provided on post 96 to Phoenix Magaazine now goes to Chinese script.
http://www.phoenix-magazine.com/s/phoenix/subscriber/library/volume-25/issue-16/

Last edited:

sgtharper

A bit strange but the link provided on post 96 to Phoenix Magaazine now goes to Chinese script.
http://www.phoenix-magazine.com/s/phoenix/subscriber/library/volume-25/issue-16/
And no doubt you have concluded from this, perfectly reasonably in your own mind I'm sure, that not only the Brits, but the staff at Phoenix and probably the Chinese are in on the cover-up as well.

This really does go right to the top, doesn't it? :lol:

Itsalaugh

And no doubt you have concluded from this, perfectly reasonably in your own mind I'm sure, that not only the Brits, but the staff at Phoenix and probably the Chinese are in on the cover-up as well.

You don't think it's astonishing that the Daily Telegraph lend credibility to the claims?
I

Novos

Cut the crap Sarge and tell us more of what you done in the war, must say, you and your sad bunch are really good at the "war stories" really enjoyed that thread on the main board recently.:lol:
No need to tell us your war effort Mickey, we see you on here everyday throwing cartoons and smiley faces for Ireland. Obviously you have to throw in the odd "fact" that on examination turns out to be nonsense. But hey , you're still fighting the war here on the front line.

Mickeymac

No need to tell us your war effort Mickey, we see you on here everyday throwing cartoons and smiley faces for Ireland. Obviously you have to throw in the odd "fact" that on examination turns out to be nonsense. But hey , you're still fighting the war here on the front line.

I leave the war stories for you and your ilk on here, they are hilarious, read Sgt Harper and the Field Marshall sometime.....ball busting stuff to say the least.

sgtharper

I wouldn't bother responding to that retarded ape, he hasn't posted anything worth reading since he joined the site and you'd find something more interesting to look at in a recently-used toilet-pan as a rule.

Last edited:

Catalpast

Was that my post?:confused:

But there is no doubt that the Conflict in the North

- spawned more than its fair share of Characters....petunia

Mickeymac

I wouldn't bother responding to that retarded ape, he hasn't posted anything worth reading since he joined the site and you'd find something more interesting in a toilet-pan as a rule.

Thanks pal, just confirms I am on the right path, thank you..........btw, do you see anything worth reading in hobo's posts, if you do, don't be afraid to tell us what you find.

sgtharper

Novos

I wouldn't bother responding to that retarded ape, he hasn't posted anything worth reading since he joined the site and you'd find something more interesting to look at in a recently-used toilet-pan as a rule.
Nah I just post the odd sentence or two to wind him up. He's not a serious poster anyone could debate with. Last week He was telling us about "Census Experts".

Mickeymac

Census experts have declared Nats in the majority by 2020 and the implementation of votes at 16 years of age guarantees a UI much sooner than previously thought.........all good thank you very much.

50% plus one vote sounds easy to me in a few years from now.

9th August 2016, 05:40 PM

sgtharper

Nah I just post the odd sentence or two to wind him up. He's not a serious poster anyone could debate with. Last week He was telling us about "Census Experts".

Mickeymac

Census experts have declared Nats in the majority by 2020 and the implementation of votes at 16 years of age guarantees a UI much sooner than previously thought.........all good thank you very much.

50% plus one vote sounds easy to me in a few years from now.

9th August 2016, 05:40 PM
Yeah, that's about the measure of the clown.

Last edited:

Novos

Thanks pal, just confirms I am on the right path, thank you..........btw, do you see anything worth reading in hobo's posts, if you do, don't be afraid to tell us what you find.

Good work Mickey ..... let's hope they don't decommission cartoon characters or your war will be over.

rem81

722 killed over 40 years = 18 per year, which, out of about 30,000 troops roulemented per year make a rate of 0.06% or 6 deaths for every 10,000.

719 Brits died of accidents and assault and suicide in the same time...…..

The IRA killed over 100 in 72 so the reality was much less than 18 British soldiers were being killed every year for the vast majority of the conflict.....

Many Brits were safer walking the patrols of Crossmaglen than walking the streets of London or Glasgow...

The British armour then became too great and the Saxons are hardy vehicles indeed. Therefore the IRA could only shoot at heavily armoured vehicles, try to detonate bombs that the British had signals to intercept, and shoot at heavily armoured crown forces.

I guess the Saxons once again conquered.. Saxon_Armoured_Vehicle_MOD_45143139.jpg

The truth is the IRA didn't have the ability to kill British forces. The army was cracking down on and defeating the IRA. The SAS legends captured the Crossmaglen eejit and he squealed information like the coward he was allowing the brits to wrap up the London "bombsquad". Hardly Nelson Mandelas contrary to the claims of the self-admitted "Ballymurphy n*gger" (his words not mine ha)...

The IRA can boast all they want about killing squaddies but the Brits captured ten thousand PIRA men instead of killing them. Many brave young men lost their early twenties and even longer periods smearing their own sh1te upon the wall and singing shinner ballads eating prison food. That's 18 Christmases spent in her majesty's...

Combine the fact that if you calculate Britains population for the Irish population, the British per capita enflicted many more casualties upon the IRA than vice versa... or even just counting the PIRA vs BA size. The British are the true brave undefeated army who subdued the terrorists and the republican struggle has been criminalized when the GFA surrender accepted licence/parole...… which can be revoked by the state if they get any fancy ideas or the crown even suspects it! See Tony Taylor

Robo

How many of them did they have in N Ireland, 4? 2 for Belfast, 1 for LondonDerry and one in repair... In all truth the IRA would sit around like a sexual predator who would await a vulnerable victim. Nothing to do with a lightly armored troop transporter, the IRA had it's balls busted in the 1970s.

Glaucon

How many of them did they have in N Ireland, 4? 2 for Belfast, 1 for LondonDerry and one in repair... In all truth the IRA would sit around like a sexual predator who would await a vulnerable victim. Nothing to do with a lightly armored troop transporter, the IRA had it's balls busted in the 1970s.
If it did, the conflict would've ended then. It didn't. You don't carry out attacks like that on the Derryard checkpoint unless you've at least some military skill.

They are murdering bastards, but they are not cowards. This team actually pressed home a ground attack right into the heart of the compound. That takes guts when there are people firing back.
The Provos in Belfast or Londonderry tend to stage incidents timed to catch the six o'clock news. The people down here are out to inflict casualties on us. They are a harder breed entirely, and very, very dangerous. This has always been a committed Republican area. The cowboy element was caught or shot years ago. What we have now is an experienced, professional enemy with enormous local support. They should never be underestimated. That can be fatal. Last year, they mortared the unit in our base at 10 minutes to midnight on Hogmanay, hoping to catch them off-guard. That's a measure of their calculating approach.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies