• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

How many British soldiers died in the Northern conflict?

RasherHash

So the British Army lost 763 men killed,
while the IRA lost 276 and according to wikipedia (citing a book called Provisional IRA (1988)) about 8000-10000 IRA members were imprisoned.

The Troubles was certainly special when realizing that the counter-insurgency forces were more willing to sacrifice their men than the guerilla force fighting them.
Maybe the main reason the IRA lost where the Vietcong and others succeded?
I think the whole point is not to lose men, in that sense the IRA won.

Robo

If it did, the conflict would've ended then. It didn't. You don't carry out attacks like that on the Derryard checkpoint unless you've at least some military skill.
By the mid 70s the IRA had it's arse handed to it, what happened after that was what I described. Sitting around like a sexual predator who would await a vulnerable victim. Would you agree that predatory behaviour is dangerous, difficult to predict and stop, can be dressed up how ever you like, the IRA all but died on its feet while hiding behind the British legal system and screaming about human rights.

McSlaggart

By the mid 70s the IRA had it's arse handed to it, what happened after that was what I described. Sitting around like a sexual predator who would await a vulnerable victim. Would you agree that predatory behaviour is dangerous, difficult to predict and stop, can be dressed up how ever you like, the IRA all but died on its feet while hiding behind the British legal system and screaming about human rights.

Could you please post up some links to sport your claims.

Glaucon

No, that's nonsense.

belcoo666

Arse handed too :rolleyes: Funny thing is i remember a lot of little squaddies just like you screaming for mummy well into the 80 s and 90s .

death or glory

Nail on the head there.

bang bang

You don't half spout some crap, you've a fertile imagination I'll give you that.

Robo

Arse handed too :rolleyes: Funny thing is i remember a lot of little squaddies just like you screaming for mummy well into the 80 s and 90s .
I have no doubt they did, its a very common effect of a dieing soul in immense pain and disperse to scream for their mummy or their main care giver in child hood, its what normal people do. Who did Jean Mcconville or Lyra McKee cry out for?

raetsel

That's one of your more disgusting posts. Speaking about the death of any victim of the Troubles in those contemptuous terms is a very poor reflection on your humanity.

belcoo666

That's one of your more disgusting posts. Speaking about the death of any victim of the Troubles in those contemptuous terms is a very poor reflection on your humanity.
Yes yes quite , War is never nice , well perhaps on your xbox .

likesfish

well as Northern Ireland still exists pira did not achieve its aim.
The British covering up deaths is right up there with provos being buried in secret graves in the south🤪. which certain units liked to claim

rem81

likesfish

Possibly the most stupid if urban myths " we totally killed ira gunmen in that firefight but the bodies were spirited away and buried secretly :rolleyes: "
Because Republicans never held public funerals or made any comment when a "volunteer" was shot and certainly never complained about how unlawful the shooting was even if the bloke was armed and shooting at people themself:rolleyes:

McSlaggart

Do you have any evidence to support your assertions?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies