• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

How many countries have you visited?

General Urko

General Urko

No replies yet, surely some of you are allowed out your front door?

Clanrickard

Got as far as China. In total 12 I think.

Dame_Enda

I have visited one state other than Ireland - the UK and that was 1995.

General Urko

I have visited one state other than Ireland - the UK and that was 1995.
I'm surprised a man with your expansive personality hasn't got out more!

runwiththewind

18 so far.

Dame_Enda

I'm surprised a man with your expansive personality hasn't got out more!
I think part of it is my experience as a victim of crime. I want to protect my property from potential marauders on the "cat away/mouse play" principle. I live in a very rough part of town and don't trust some of my neighbours.

General Urko

I think part of it is my experience as a victim of crime. I want to protect my property from potential marauders on the "cat away/mouse play" principle. I live in a very rough part of town and don't trust some of my neighbours.
That's being virtually a prisoner in your own home and travelling abroad will let you see that there are places out there where the nax at the top and the nax at the bottom aren't treated like royalty as there are in this sometimes awful eejit of a country!

mangaire2

22 countries, I think.
& 4 continents.
BTW I regard England, Scotland & Wales as three countries.

Polly Ticks

Are people counting Ireland/their place of birth as 1?

Either way, to answer the Q: None.

Last edited:

Polly Ticks

In 2190 there will be thread entitled "How many planets/asteroids have you visited?"

And people will tell porkie pies then too.

:D

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
UK
France
Belgium
Netherlands
Germany
Greece
Austria
Italy
Monaco
Mexico
US
Belize
Costa Rica
Guatemala
Honduras
Panama
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Australia
Japan

The Central American countries more than once. Just noticed that I have never been to Spain. That is weird considering most people would at least have been on holiday there if they went abroad at all.

Andalucia looks nice. Maybe I should go there.

Irish-Rationalist

I'm on 28, a few I have only been in for a day and I have never been outside Europe (well except in The UK petunia).

The average Brit has been in 7 countries, I suspect we are on average a bit more well travelled than them!

Average Briton 'has visited seven countries' - Telegraph

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091018114413AAkmEfQ

Apparently the vast majority of people never leave their country of origin, I find this a bit hard to believe.
I grew up in NI and have visited the Republic of Ireland, and that was enough.

Countries? They're nothing but trouble.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I grew up in NI and have visited the Republic of Ireland, and that was enough.

Countries? They're nothing but trouble.
Well they say travel broadens the mind. So I guess the opposite must also be true. Countries are a nice way to describe different cultures other than your own.

I'd much rather think of Catalonia than 'Southern EU'.

Weirdest most culturally dislocating place I've ever been was Japan. Don't know whether it is a historical engineering thing but the traffic lights are set lower than in Europe so you feel you've grown overnight. Very strange being in a hotel where you are the only foreigner and the kids all stare at you without blinking in the restaurants.

One of the few places I don't think I could get readily used to living in. I like difference but I found Tokyo to be just too alien for me.

Irish-Rationalist

Well they say travel broadens the mind. So I guess the opposite must also be true. Countries are a nice way to describe different cultures other than your own.

I'd much rather think of Catalonia than 'Southern EU'.

Weirdest most culturally dislocating place I've ever been was Japan. Don't know whether it is a historical engineering thing but the traffic lights are set lower than in Europe so you feel you've grown overnight. Very strange being in a hotel where you are the only foreigner and the kids all stare at you without blinking in the restaurants.

One of the few places I don't think I could get readily used to living in. I like difference but I found Tokyo to be just too alien for me.
Just kidding, I've visited a few countries, but none too far. Been in Germany (Berlin), Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Austria and intend to do Norway and Sweden soon. Have also seen most of England, Scotland and the RoI.

I think the culture of Japan would be a bit too alien for me too. Not attracted to Asia, the Orient or Africa, and I'm not even a racist. :)

GDPR

15 I can remember, there may well have been others that didn't make any great impression on me at the time.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Always had an itch to see the Nordic countries and the Baltic states and perhaps into Russia to St Petersburg.

Mind you I did most of my long distance travelling pre-9/11 and the thoughts of long haul travel now put me off. I did enjoy a flight across Siberia under clear skies when you could see the curvature of the earth and get an idea just how big Siberia is. Horizon to horizon broken tundra.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies