• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

How many drink drivers are you aware of in your circle of acquaintances ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

This may just include people who drink every day and also happen to possess a car. The correlation between getting done for drink driving and having a drink problem is well documented. We all know that the drink drive laws have been changed recently.
So, what effect has it had on the people you know ?
Drink Driving | Information and Facts

Goa Tse

A teacher in my school freely admitted to having "driven home after a few scoops" more than once. He thought it'd impress us, seeing as we were 15 - 16 at the time, maybe we'd think he was "cool". I just thought the man was an idiot.

PUFF DADDY

None, but if you asked me that question 12/15yrs ago, well that would be a different story.

controller

Every single Australian that I know would have at least 1 if not 2, and still consider it ok to drive. None of the Irish will drink anything and drive. strange world

potholedogger

Give starving cornflake eating Gardai a €500 bonus for every drunk and drugged driver they catch, adding the €500 to the fine imposed and we would have very few drunk & drugged drivers!

shoneen

People I know in their 30s and 40s are very conscious about it, and wouldn't dream of doing it. A few in their 50s don't seem to take it so seriously.

FakeViking

Have the Gardai completely given up Random Breath Testing? I haven't seen one of the high profile checkpoints in years.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Um.

Me.

A good few of my friends.

Not saying its fine. If caught, it's a fair cop guv. But we live in rural Ireland, so the choice is chance it or no pub for life.

FakeViking

Not saying its fine. If caught, it's a fair cop guv. But we live in rural Ireland, so the choice is chance it or no pub for life.
Do you have need alcohol to live? I'm no angel, I enjoy a few glasses of my best cooking claret, but only after hanging up the car keys.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Do you have need alcohol to live?
No. We just like it!

I don't know one of my friends who has not either had a few and driven, or at least sat into the car of a drink driver. Not trying to justify it in any way though, we are all aware of the law.

Attitudes have changed so much though. 20/25 years ago and driving rotten was very much the norm.

FakeViking

Attitudes have changed so much though. 20/25 years ago and driving rotten was very much the norm.
A certain ex-Taoiseach boasted in an old Hot Press interview how he could drive after a feed of pints.

But in an interview he gave to Hot Press before he was Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern was asked how many pints he could drink and he replied: "I could certainly drink a fair few pints of Bass and be capable of driving.
Bertie thinks he could drive a few miles per gallon.. of Bass; EXCLUSIVE TAOISEACH ACCUSED OF HYPOCRISY AFTER BLASTING DRINK DRIVE TD. - Free Online Library

Rural

Bass is pisswater, it would hardly hit the radar on a breathalyser.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
A certain FGer told a Garda she'd get the sack for stopping him when he was pasted.

In fairness, have been stopped after a few and Garda knowing it but not taking out the bag. Such is life in rural Ireland. But if they went for it, I could have no complaints.

Northtipp

Um.

Me.

A good few of my friends.

Have you no other options NGD ? Turns at sober driver etc.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies