How many Tory-run councils got sweetheart deals?

O

Oscurito

Jeremy Corbyn normally doesn't have a good Prime Minister's Questions but he had a good one this week - thanks to some text messages that erroneously ended up on a Labour councillor's phone and were duly passed upwards to JC.

It all goes back to a proposal a few weeks ago by David Hodge, leader of Tory-run Surrey Council to hold a local referendum proposing that the council tax be raised by 15% to cover the spiralling cost of social care. In the UK, a council must put any such increase of 5% or more to a referendum. Cue worried expressions in Whitehall. Even thinking about raising taxes is not A Conservative Value.

Roll forward to yesterday and Jeremy C is in his element reading out text messages from Hodge that refers to a Memorandum of Understanding between Surrey and the DCLG (Department for Communities and Local Government) which would allow him to call of the referendum.

Cuts in council services are a sore point for local authorities in the UK and Labour-run councils feel that they've borne the brunt since 2010, having to implement cuts that Tory-run councils are only implementing now. (Tory areas tend to generate a lot more revenue in business rates.) So if there's any suggestion that one or more Tory councils were getting a sweetheart deal, that would annoy many Labour councils. A lot.

Hodge and and the DCLG are hotly denying this but no-one has yet explained the content of the texts. And there's no more talk about a referendum.

The Guardian: Was the Surrey council tax referendum a swindle all along?

Minister denies 'sweetheart' tax deal with Surrey - BBC News

Last edited:

O

Oscurito

This was the situation on Tuesday, the day before Corbyn's revelations in the House of Commons.

The referendum was being scrapped although Hodge (who was born in a Dublin orphanage, apparently) was being rather tight-lipped as to what precisely had changed. Meanwhile, Downing Street was saying, "The decision that Surrey council has made about its council tax rate is a matter for Surrey council."

And so it would have remained in a nothing-to-see-here state until Corbyn blew the whole thing open.

https://www.ft.com/content/ea5d568c-ed54-11e6-930f-061b01e23655

Surrey is no mere wealthy Tory county: it includes the constituency of chancellor Philip Hammond and so must be a paragon of Conservative Can-Do.

Spanner Island

I don't think anyone cares what happens in the UK anymore.

I know I don't - apart from when there's implications for Ireland.

eoghanacht

OP starts off with a dig at Corbyn.

Stick to the stamps.

O

Oscurito

I don't think anyone cares what happens in the UK anymore.

I know I don't - apart from when there's implications for Ireland.
You're not a real Piester.

A real Piester is interested just because of the machinations and the phone calls and the late night wheelin' and dealin',

O

Oscurito

OP starts off with a dig at Corbyn.

Stick to the stamps.
Aw. Have the Corbynistas decided where his mausoleum will be?

Drop me a line when it comes to getting his mug on a stamp. I know people who know (brutal Stalinist art) people.

eoghanacht

Try as he might he couldn't generate interest, even with the round about dig at the Labour leader.

P.ie doesn't care.

Doesn't care about the Tory's breaking rules on election finance

Doesn't care about the redrawing of electoral boundaries to suit the Tories

Develop the Corbyn angle, may I suggest you amend the title to feature Corbyn and include a picture of him dancing arm in arm with the leader of Hamas on the grave of the unknown soldier.

Too much going on what with our government actively seeking to destroy the life of a brave Guard.

O

Oscurito

Try as he might he couldn't generate interest, even with the round about dig at the Labour leader.

P.ie doesn't care.

Doesn't care about the Tory's breaking rules on election finance

Doesn't care about the redrawing of electoral boundaries to suit the Tories

Develop the Corbyn angle, may I suggest you amend the title to feature Corbyn and include a picture of him dancing arm in arm with the leader of Hamas on the grave of the unknown soldier.

Too much going on what with our government actively seeking to destroy the life of a brave Guard.
Somehow, in a thread exposing Tory shenanigans, a Corbynista contrives to get all huffy and offended. I mean.....seriously?

You guys aren't too far from the Trump personality cult.

New Threads

Most Replies