How many wives can we have?

McTell

Twitter
No
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/polygamist-set-for-supreme-court-ruling-over-equal-rights-for-wives-t66c9wnvw

Big case in the supreme court next week about how many wives can be recognised here.

Lebanese fella had 2 valid marriages abroad, and for some reason is now living here. Oh, he's a refugee. Wants both marriages recognised. Leads on to how many husbands can a wife have - one - and so it must fail as it is clearly sexist.

Sauce for the goose and all that.

However, it cannot fail until our learned friends have extracted as much in fees as will be allowed by due process of the law. As he's a refugee, we can suppose that you and I are paying for this.

Soooo, how many wives would you like? Should we have a referendum on this? Should we not set up a(n expensive) facility to enable all sorts to multiply marry here?

*cough* I'll sign up for 30..... where do I sign?

Polyandry - you could have 3 male husbands and 2 female wives and a trans partner. Or will the law be stretched only for muslims and mormons?

Mad as Fish

The punishment for two wives is two mother in laws.

(thought I'd get that in first)

McTell

Twitter
No
...it's an appeal from a 2011 ruling, which he lost.

Polygamous marriage valid in Lebanon but not under Irish law

" Counsel for the Attorney General said these proceedings may impinge on the State interest concerning the status of marriage as an institution. Public policy had an important bearing on the case, and in Conlon -v- Mohamed it had been stated by the Supreme Court, as a comment in the course of the case, that a polygamous marriage could not be recognised in our law as a valid marriage.He pointed to the various cases in which marriage, as protected by the Constitution, had been described by the courts as a monogamous union of one person with another."

Outlaw101

However, it cannot fail until our learned friends have extracted as much in fees as will be allowed by due process of the law. As he's a refugee, we can suppose that you and I are paying for this.
Do you get awarded your costs if you lose the case?

ruserious

It would be far cheaper to have one and frequent the local whoor house once a week when feeling the need.

GDPR

Oh that reminds me of a brilliant play.

"I Am My Own Wife", based on conversations with German antiquarian Charlotte von Mahlsdorf, born Lothar Berfelde, who killed her father when she was a young child and survived the Nazi and Communist regimes in Berlin as a transgender woman.

At one point, she had a beard and a headscarf, (this is nothing to do with ******* dressing up as women, boys - relax) because there were no razors for love nor money and its very moving how she plucks out the hairs.

D

Deleted member 17573

I don't think we can afford to be too smug about marriage equality if a woman coming to Ireland with the status of being a spouse cannot retain that status and all the rights associated with it. We are essentially saying to the husband "feel free to ditch one of your wives".

McTell

Twitter
No
Why would you want more than 1?

Well you might, if you were a refugee with all your and your wives and childers' bills paid for by the grateful Irish people.

My hypothetical 30 wives could be needy but nubile girls from India, say, who upon impregnation would be put up in a hostel and paid for by said grateful Irish people. Where would it end? 30 would hardly be enough largesse on my part.

The parents might even pay you dowries at the start.

Felixness

Well you might, if you were a refugee with all your and your wives and childers' bills paid for by the grateful Irish people.

My hypothetical 30 wives could be needy but nubile girls from India, say, who upon impregnation would be put up in a hostel and paid for by said grateful Irish people. Where would it end? 30 would hardly be enough largesse on my part.

The parents might even pay you dowries at the start.
Is there not some clause in Islam that a man must prove that he can afford to financially support the number of wives that he wants? Also, is there not some clause that anyone who has been given citizenship must be able to prove that they can afford to financially support the spouse they want to bring to Ireland?

McTell

Twitter
No
Ask yourself how many of these lawyers in 2010 - in the case he lost - were financially supported by him?

Gerry Durcan SC, Dervla Browne SC and Corinna Leddy BL, instructed by Eugene Smartt Solr, for the applicant; James Devlin SC and Genevieve Burke BL, instructed by McGarr Solrs, for the respondent; Inge Clissman SC and Rita O’Meara BL, instructed by the Law Centre, Tallaght, for the notice party; Feichin McDonagh SC and Denise Brett BL, instructed by the Chief State Solicitor, for the Attorney General.

My point is, just because a "religion" says you can marry 4, doesn't allow a secular republic to agree but also exclude a woman from marrying 4 husbands.

You don't have to belong to a religion, and you can follow 100 if you like.

Or do we have to have a law case every time every type of relationship has to be put on paper?

Hunter-Gatherer

polygamy is inequitable. Look at parts of Africa where rich fellas have hundreds of wives and all the poor fellas are permanently single.

Every second/third/fourth wife is a theft from some other fella.

and as for all the longterm dole heads deciding to start a family ? madness that we allow this.

and anyway, considering that immigration into Ireland seems to be either unattached young men or women who already have kids.....the future may end up being polyandry...ie one wife with multiple husbands. Either that or tons of civil strife.

petaljam

I don't think we can afford to be too smug about marriage equality if a woman coming to Ireland with the status of being a spouse cannot retain that status and all the rights associated with it. We are essentially saying to the husband "feel free to ditch one of your wives".
No that's not how it works. He doesn't get to pick. Only the first marriage is valid in Irish/European laws.
The second is bigamy.
I thought you were very clear about the idea that what may be legal in one country is not relevant in another?

Outlaw101

Ask yourself how many of these lawyers in 2010 - in the case he lost - were financially supported by him?

Gerry Durcan SC, Dervla Browne SC and Corinna Leddy BL, instructed by Eugene Smartt Solr, for the applicant; James Devlin SC and Genevieve Burke BL, instructed by McGarr Solrs, for the respondent; Inge Clissman SC and Rita O’Meara BL, instructed by the Law Centre, Tallaght, for the notice party; Feichin McDonagh SC and Denise Brett BL, instructed by the Chief State Solicitor, for the Attorney General.

My point is, just because a "religion" says you can marry 4, doesn't allow a secular republic to agree but also exclude a woman from marrying 4 husbands.

Or do we have to have a law case every time every type of relationship has to be put on paper?
Why don't you find out how much they have been paid and by whom?

You could also include a figure for Court Time, Judge Salaries etc.

Put a number on it.

D

Deleted member 17573

Surely the marriages should be recognised, not because they are permitted by some religion, but because not to recognise them would seriously disadvantage one of the wives?

Outlaw101

Surely the marriages should be recognised, not because they are permitted by some religion, but because not to recognise them would seriously disadvantage one of the wives?
Would we not have to then recognise 2nd and 3rd wives for Irish born citizens?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies