How much does it cost to run in a local election (and win)?

_FARAH_

I dont know local elections but it may cost your life in general elections if you are not supported by some strong lobbies, by army, by intelligence or by business World.

Speedfreak

This ain't Turkey, love.

hiding behind a poster

Anybody know?
Impossible to say. Do you mean as an independent or as a party candidate? How well known are you in the ward? Are you/have you been involved in community groups, clubs, etc? If you're a party candidate, how strong is your party? Will you be a sole candidate or on a party ticket with others? Have you got volunteers to put up posters and drop leaflets, or will you have to pay companies to do it for you? Are you an incumbent with a good (or indeed bad) record?

Those are just some of the factors that would impact on the cost of running, and winning.

John Scotus

No idea, but I'm fairly sure there are better things to be spending your money on

Speedfreak

OP, you generate a significant revenue as a councillor. Not just your salary, but the brown envelopes too. It's not hard to work backwards and calculate a reasonable investment and risk factor to obtain such returns. Remember there's basically no real work involved either, once you're in. Plus pension, plus perks. Work it out on pen and paper using a basic discounted cash flow method.

The Rahenyite

Really depends on if you run as an independent or with a party. You can expect up to 2-3k or more from a party, obviously more costs arise running solo without the backing of a political party. Depending on how you do in the actual vote you may get expenses back.

As HBAP was explaining you really need a build up of publicity, drop leaflets, be known or be seen to be doing things in the community with various organisations like sport, charity, social clubs etc, develop a web presence and essentially be a known face in the community. If you're running for locals you need to prepare about 12-18 months out from the election date. My conservative estimate is you'd need to spend 8-10k to fund a decent campaign.

The Field Marshal

No idea, but I'm fairly sure there are better things to be spending your money on
In a way is this not a very sad response.
I have known some local councillors who were very very fine people indeed.

Why do we have to be so phukking cynical in Ireland about local democracy?

Antóin Mac Comháin

Name one of them. I've yet to meet anyone who wasn't corrupted by power. The more power they've accumulated, the more corrupt they have become.

The Field Marshal

Name one of them. I've yet to meet anyone who wasn't corrupted by power. The more power they've accumulated, the more corrupt they have become.
Then you are not just an idiot but worse a cynical idiot.

The Field Marshal

What was the real purpose of this thread, because it certainly wasn't to find out the answer to the question you have asked?
The thread was raised to ascertain the cost of running in a local election.
From what i know it is not high and most people of moderate means to even none would be able to place themselves in position to be elected in Irish local elections.

Antóin Mac Comháin

The thread was raised to ascertain the cost of running in a local election.
From what i know it is not high and most people of moderate means to even none would be able to place themselves in position to be elected in Irish local elections.
Money has nothing got to do with being successful in politics. You just need to learn how to lie, and then it's just like learning how to ride a bike, or to drink, etc.

You could've been a contender, but you tell a lie.

Bleu Poppy

But you know, and I know, if an elected representative had to take a lie detector test, the machine would brake. Don't forget, 99.9% of Councillors on SDCC were convicted in Court of fraud.

Think about that.
Name the Councillors. Detail the charges leveled on each individual. Give the dates of the guilty verdicts. Provide information on the penalties imposed.

Was it one particular period in time? Or are you talking about every council since the establishment of this particular local authority?*

Thanking you in advance.

*Or does your blanket accusation leave you open to writs of defamation being issued? Think about that.

John Scotus

Yes and No

I'm cynical about democracy in general. I think people have a tendency to confer on it a quasi sacred status, a system of decision making that is above reproach, and they then use it as an alternative to traditional ethics. And of course the incumbent politicos are more than happy to endorse this mythical status of "being elected", as that is where they derive their legitimacy from.

Now in one sense that is no harm, society needs to be able to make decisions in ways that are acceptable to all, but I think the recent facebook / Cambridge Analytica business has damaged the illusion that democratic decision making is some how special. It has exposed the fact that people base their voting choices on all sorts of stupid reasons, and if you are savy you can exploit this. Although, democracy is probably the least worst system, but I must admit to having a sneaking regard for Plato's philosopher Kings idea.

All that said, I'd have to say that local democracy probably works better than any other type and in fairness, I think Irish democracy isn't the worst in the world either.....So may be you're right...maybe in this instance my cynicism is misplaced

Antóin Mac Comháin

Name the Councillors. Detail the charges leveled on each individual. Give the dates of the guilty verdicts. Provide information on the penalties imposed.
What do you think I am, a parrot? I've already done that, (See post 180): http://www.politics.ie/forum/history/193332-sinn-fein-1918-t0-2012-a-18.html

Further reading and research:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lobbyist-paid-14-politicians-m-to-get-rezoning-votes-25959285.html

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/17033-real-cost-quarryvale.html

Mahon: The verdict on councillors involved in Quarryvale

https://magill.ie/archive/massive-payments-politicians-and-huge-rezoning

“Therese Ridge is not a crook” – FG cllr appeals party action after Mahon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Irish-Bank-Robbery-Corporate/dp/1842103938

Thanking you in advance.
There's no need to do that. Praise should be reserved for bodies such as ACRA and the submission they lodged with the Minister of Housing Ref: 22952 which warned the government of the long-term repercussions of failing to tackle the situation. :)

New Threads