How much longer can Micheal Martin last as FF leader?

Marcos the black

I just asked this over on the latest opinion poll thread that shows FG with a 9% point lead over FF, and has pretty much done so since Leo took over, in all but one poll.
So with Brexit, abortion, the economy, full employment etc... how much longer can FF row in behind Martin and watch FG benefit from a rising tide that is leaving them behind?
Where do FF go from here? What's the strategy? Who would be the likely replacement? McGuinness?

Morgellons

Michael who???

slysnara

Michael McGrath would be one to watch.

Spirit Of Newgrange

i am highly political, read the newspapers and always vote, yet i never heard of this Mr martin ? is his sister a eurovision singer ?

ShoutingIsLeadership

I just asked this over on the latest opinion poll thread that shows FG with a 9% point lead over FF, and has pretty much done so since Leo took over, in all but one poll.
So with Brexit, abortion, the economy, full employment etc... how much longer can FF row in behind Martin and watch FG benefit from a rising tide that is leaving them behind?
Where do FF go from here? What's the strategy? Who would be the likely replacement? McGuinness?
He's the next Taoiseach.

SF would swear an oath to the Queen before it would prop up FG...and FF will have fewer TDs than FG after the next election, which will make them a preferred coalition partner for SF

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
He's the next Taoiseach.

SF would swear an oath to the Queen before it would prop up FG...and FF will have fewer TDs than FG after the next election, which will make them a preferred coalition partner for SF
You're very optimistic about SF's and/or FF's prospects.

Overoptimistic imo.

But then my crystal ball has been cracked since the last General Election (at least).

Marcos the black

Is there not already a thread on this?

The answer to the question is: As long as there's no credible alternative candidate available.
There probably is. No doubt its been asked before... And unless something changes it will be asked again... And soon.

HarshBuzz

Mehole is a genius.

FF would be insane to dump him before the next GE. In fact, FF should call in a taxidermist and have him stuffed and mounted. So he can lead them in perpetuity.

GDPR

Mehole is a genius.

FF would be insane to dump him before the next GE. In fact, FF should call in a taxidermist and have him stuffed and mounted. So he can lead them in perpetuity.
Being stuffed and mounted is what he has shown the greatest aptitude for...

slysnara

You think? I don't rate him.

Besides ... the last thing FF need right now is an internal fight. Especially if the dirty linen gets revealed at the village pump.
Lisa Chambers would be a possible leader in the future but not so soon. They lack a high-profile Dublin TD that would suit the leadership position in my opinion.

McGrath is one of their more senior members, isn't tainted by the Ahern era and is not a divisive figure.

One of his pitfalls though may be that I don't see him as a particularly inspiring leader. Not sure he could be any better at motivating the party or giving it a vision than Martin has been.

jo9jo

The stone which the builders rejected, this became the chief corner stone.

FF was rejected by the electorate - but in the grand scheme of things, when this country needs to be pulled up by the bootstraps, FF will be asked to lead the way.
It may not be in 5 years, it may not even be in 10 years, but believe you me, that day will come and FF will lead us out of the darkness into which FG are blindly leading us.

MM is the man

HarshBuzz

Being stuffed and mounted is what he has shown the greatest aptitude for...
Oh ye of little faith <shakes head sadly>.

Mehole will do the business in the next election. Or the one after that. Or the one after the one after....

jo9jo

Lisa Chambers would be a possible leader in the future but not so soon. They lack a high-profile Dublin TD that would suit the leadership position in my opinion.

McGrath is one of their more senior members, isn't tainted by the Ahern era and is not a divisive figure.

One of his pitfalls though may be that I don't see him as a particularly inspiring leader. Not sure he could be any better at motivating the party or giving it a vision than Martin has been.
Cowen was the bravest Taoiseach this country ever experienced.
He sacrificed the FF Party in order to save the country.

Bring in the IMF was an act of bravery - he knew this would kill his political career but he put the needs of the nurses, guards, teachers to the fore and ensured there was enough cash in the ATMs after the big financial institution went belly up.

He passed legislation in the dying days of his government which took the onus of FG/Leo to make the hard decisions.

There are indeed parallels to Benedict XVI, who sacrificed his pontificate in order to save the RCC.

I think at the time of the next election we will have matured as a nation and will appreciate the former Taoiseach and have great admiration for his role in bringing peace to Northern Ireland.

I think after Mr. Higgins term comes to an end the country will be fatiqued by Labour and Fine Gael and will long for the great days of yesteryear when we were the poster boys of Europe before the big financial institution stateside went wallop.

Time is a great healer.
Great statesmen should become heads of state.

Mr. Martin is a great leader.
He will be a great Taoiseach and hopefully also a great President.

ger12

Spanner Island

Cowen was the bravest Taoiseach this country ever experienced.
He sacrificed the FF Party in order to save the country.

Bring in the IMF was an act of bravery - he knew this would kill his political career but he put the needs of the nurses, guards, teachers to the fore and ensured there was enough cash in the ATMs after the big financial institution went belly up.

He passed legislation in the dying days of his government which took the onus of FG/Leo to make the hard decisions.

There are indeed parallels to Benedict XVI, who sacrificed his pontificate in order to save the RCC.

I think at the time of the next election we will have matured as a nation and will appreciate the former Taoiseach and have great admiration for his role in bringing peace to Northern Ireland.

I think after Mr. Higgins term comes to an end the country will be fatiqued by Labour and Fine Gael and will long for the great days of yesteryear when we were the poster boys of Europe before the big financial institution stateside went wallop.

Time is a great healer.
Great statesmen should become heads of state.

Mr. Martin is a great leader.
He will be a great Taoiseach and hopefully also a great President.
Oh I dunno...

The drunk on the radio and the pathetic attempt at a reshuffle in the dying days...

Brave is it? AIB brave?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies